Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can anyone name a good player amongst our record 5 signings?
I will try
1. NDombele has done nothing of note but has potential right manager not really what you expect from a record signing.
2.Lo Celso injured most of the time he has been a Spurs player.
3. Sanchez loses concentration too often.
4. Sissoko what is he actually good at has a good engine and that is about it. Has had about 1 1/2 good seasons being generous.
5. Lamela injured for half the season every year. Not quick enough when making decisions in the final third but is hard working and has scored two rabonas.

Ok they are not what a top club would expect from their record signings but I would not say any of them are complete trash it is just when you accumulate our transfer policy for the last ten years I do not think we have had one, their seems to be very little plan. I am not sure what the plan was signing TN and GLC in the same window.

But if either had received the first yellow, chances are second offence would not have been committed by the players concerned. I am sure Laporte would not, there were other covering players around him.

Also Reguilon instance happened earlier. If he by your logic had been sent off, chances are we would have sacrificed Moura to bring on a left back, so Laporte wouldn't have been abe to foul a player that wasn't on the pitch.

It is a total reach. Yes maybe it hurts, but is just a very poor excuse, and contain so many assumptions.
A total reach, maybe, but I'm trying to work out the logic of seeing OUR warped narrative play out against everyone else's...

Any other club with an ex-player rookie manager, defying the odds of recovering from a broken skull, whilst replacing a toxic manager who had single handedly divided the club into a bickering mess, would've WON yesterday....

But not us.... we write our own senseless storylines!

We were playing against the best team and coach in world football. It was a cup final they brought their a-game.

Coached to foul and kill off any sort of momentum. I'm only surprised that Mourinho never got our players to do the same
He asked for intelligent cunts and just found cunts

I don't feel like we should melt after yesterday taken as a one-off cup final. City are a financially doped squad, one of the very best in the world right now, resources well beyond our means. We lost 1-0.

We can't blame the ref IMO, those types of 'should have been a yellow' happen all of the time. Reality is although we didn't play terribly we were second best all over the pitch (as anticipated) Hugo kept us in with some fine saves. Had Hojbjerg had a bit more composure or it falls to someone else it could have been different.

Kane, Son, Bale all off days. Can't be immune from criticism yesterday IMO, even if Kane was rushed back and wasn't fit - we've seen that script before. I don't understand why Sissoko came on, but then I don't understand why he's still at the club. Poch, Jose and Mason obviously see something I don't.

Pissed off but not really at yesterday, on a bigger picture - where do we go from here? Mourinho was always going to end in tears. Levy should have had a contingency for that from Day 0, just like he did when he got rid of our greatest manager for a generation.
What was "off" about Kane?

Zero efforts on goal?!

He has these games from time to time, all strikers do. He probably wasn't fully fit.

We were just completely outplayed, City have much more quality than us and smothered us completely. They played a great match. It was exactly like the game last season when they had 30 shots to our 3 only this time there was no miracle 2-2 draw.

All I can say about yesterday it that it wasn’t as bad as the 3-0 against then a few weeks ago. Defensively we made some great blocks and I think we frustrated them, we were completely toothless both times but I think we made City work hard for their win rather than just rolling over like at the Etihad. We simply don’t have the quality to really trouble them unless they make a huge mistake or get a man sent off.

I'm not saying its not clever. It's clearly incredibly effective.

I'm saying that they're stopping other teams playing by committing intentional fouls. By definition, a foul is a foul because its not allowed in the rules of football - therefore any gameplan that involves intentional fouling is anti-football.
It's done on sunday league pitches all over the country. Sometimes you've got to do what you need to do to stop the oppo scoring. If we was 1-0 up and in the 90th minute they are on a breakaway and lucas smashes de bruyne to stop a 4 on 2 would you complain about it or would you say well played as it allows you to regroup get men behind the ball and see it out.

We were just completely outplayed, City have much more quality than us and smothered us completely. They played a great match. It was exactly like the game last season when they had 30 shots to our 3 only this time there was no miracle 2-2 draw.

All I can say about yesterday it that it wasn’t as bad as the 3-0 against then a few weeks ago. Defensively we made some great blocks and I think we frustrated them, we were completely toothless both times but I think we made City work hard for their win rather than just rolling over like at the Etihad. We simply don’t have the quality to really trouble them unless they make a huge mistake or get a man sent off.
So we're not a super team ?

Doesn’t really attract me.....
cringe-gif.gif

pretty arrogant of you, he's a qualified coach and because he didn't pick the players (that you don't know, or watch train) that you felt he should have played, he's a flawed option.

Get your letter into Levy, I'm sure you'll go on the shortlist straightaway.
Sorry if I made it look like I blame Mason for the loss. I wouldn't have played Sissoko, apart from that I'm not sure who I would play, the comment wasn't a stab at him and his selection of players in this game. It was just a thought I had. Should have put it in the Mason thread instead of this one.

Sorry if I made it look like I blame Mason for the loss. I wouldn't have played Sissoko, apart from that I'm not sure who I would play, the comment wasn't a stab at him and his selection of players in this game. It was just a thought I had. Should have put it in the Mason thread instead of this one.
Ok, my apologies then, it seemed to be a bit of an unfair dig at his naivete. His problem was the tools he had to dig with, not the size of the hole, or the location of it.

Looked fit and sharp to me. Not sure you can blame the zero efforts on him. Set others up who fluffed it.
I sense he probably wouldn't have started if it wasn't a cup final.
True he set up Højbjerg. If only Reguilon was six foot ahead of play offside where he should have been (jokes)
I never called Kane out individually. My point is you can't have Son, Kane, Bale on the pitch and not create anything, blaming the rest of the team. Lucas was probably the best player for us. Not sure why he went off.

Back
Top Bottom