Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair I am sick of seeing PEH slow the game down and gesturing at everyone else to slow it down.
That's a fair criticism, but I think the issue is more that our midfield has been ignored under the previous manager by design. So if the purpose of a midfield is to break up play only, it's a little disengenous to say that they are hiding from the ball or not wanting to take responsibility when that hasn't been their primary responsibility for quite some time.

Midfield movement is not something to be taken for granted. It's not as a simple as "showing" for the ball. If a midfielder receives a pass, what are his passing options? Who is moving with him? Is he dropping deep? Splitting the front press? Going between the fullback and the other midfielder?

I'm one of those people that thinks Winks can be effective in certain situations, but the way that Mason deployed him yesterday did him no favors. Winks needs a system and an understanding of what he is supposed to do and when. He's not naturally press-resistant nor prone to take risks. The issue is that when we don't have a well drilled system of progression, Winks tends to retreat to the safest option. A player like Ndombele is willing to take those gambles - which often looks reckless - but in reality is the only thing that was really possible under the previous system of free-style, individual focused progression.

Have had time to let it sink in now, I haven't read any of this forum's post since yesterday just cause it was so frustrating to watch at the time.

I don't blame Mason cause he shouldn't have been put in that position but some of his decisions yesterday were mind boggling.

1. Kane was injured. He looked slow, sluggish and you could tell he wasn't up to it.

2. Not starting Bale. He has been our best player over the course of the last 2 months with the exception of the NLD and looked great against Southampton.

3. Not starting Ndombele and even more so not bringing him on. I actually understood the call to start Winks, even if I disagreed. A midfield of GLC/Tanguy/Hoj may have struggled in that flat 4-3-3 set up BUT you could see in the first half we had nobody composed on the ball willing to get the ball off the CB's. This meant we had to overplay it in defence and were too afraid to send it long or play direct at all. Mason should have realised this and brought him on at HT because it was a miracle we weren't down by then.

4. Sitting so deep. With the exception of the start of the second half we pretty much bent over and just asked them to attack us. Can't do that to City and if it wasn't for Hugo/Toby/Eric all having great games we would have got smashed. We also should have been switching it up and going long a bit more just to mix it up and make sure they wouldn't press so high.

5. Sissoko. He should never have come on, awful decision. Made even worse to bring him on for GLC meaning we literally had zero creativity when that change was made. We looked a bit more composed by that point but that double sub killed us. We had 3 very good forwards with nobody to give them the ball. Also the Bergwijn sub was pointless cause if we scored where would we have gone from there in extra time with no RB.

Onto the players now, the mentality is so weak. We looked like we were shitting ourselves. Son with one of his worst games ever, Winks and Lucas just non-existent. Serge I actually thought played well but then a trademark stupid tackle cost us. Sissoko completely unaware of his man and at fault on the set piece. Those 4 guys are the same old culprits but they're allowed to keep making the same mistakes. And worst of all, when we concede - we showed no intensity, no desire, no effort to try and turn it around. We didn't press them and harry them to try and win the ball back and attack. Everyone was just passing the blame to somebody else rather than hunting in groups.
Agree with most of your points but hey Lucas was our only forward being courageous. Son was abysmal and should have been especially after bottling the challenge near the half way line which was 60/40 in his favour. His passing on the counter was crap as well. Kane just held onto the ball too long and basI ally let city smoother him.

You don’t have to have tons of experience to know that the decisions he made were terrible and I wish people would stop making excuses for him. The players were shite without a doubt but you have to select your best 11 in a cup final from the off to give yourselves a chance. Get an alternative caretaker now so that we may salvage something from the season. Our remaining games are all winnable if you pick the right team and employ the right tactics and clearly Ryan can’t do this. Nice man he maybe but no room for sentiment in this game.
You can't get 18 months of Joseball out of the players heads in 7 days.
Keep Ryan in charge to the end of the season, play with freedom.
COYS
why didn’t we try that yesterday instead just sitting back and getting soanked. He had nothing to lose so go for it instead trying to be clever and tactical. Basically our maureened Maureen.

My last post for this thread.

Can I just give a massive shout out to the fans. Best part of yesterday was listening to the fans sing Oh When the Spurs.

Fair play to anyone that went. Chucked £50 down the drain, had to deal with the hassle of getting to the game and getting Covid tests organised and passed beforehand. I know all of you still have to do a PCR test post match.

All that effort to watch us have 2 shots in a cup final. 1 in each half!

This is a really long-winded way of saying Winks should not have played over Ndombele.

He didn't seem to want to pick out Winks in particular and just slagged the entire club of with the Spursy bullshit. Winks has always played like coward, and it is on Mason for picking him. He should be nowhere near the first team. Christ knows what Poch ever saw in him, he should long since have been shipped out. Awful player and a total coward. We should have kept Skipp and sold Winks last summer.

It's done on sunday league pitches all over the country. Sometimes you've got to do what you need to do to stop the oppo scoring. If we was 1-0 up and in the 90th minute they are on a breakaway and lucas smashes de bruyne to stop a 4 on 2 would you complain about it or would you say well played as it allows you to regroup get men behind the ball and see it out.

If we did it all match I'd say we were dirty bastards.

We're not talking about a one off incident (which would still be calculated cheating) we're talking about a tactic employed from the first minute.

Has there ever been a more insipid display in any Cup final in the history of the game?

One shot on target, I still can't get my head around it.

The last 2 weeks feels to me like the club has hit absolute bottom, from the shameful ESL to the piss weak cup final performance.

Embarrassed to be a Spurs supporter, maybe its time to jack it in, all I feel for the club at the moment is shame and anger and its been that way most of this season.

Cowards? Or people short of confidence.

It‘s hard to be brave when you’re short of confidence.
Why should they be that short on confidence? they had a decent 2nd half and a win against Saints in the last game.

Don't make excuses for this shower of bottle jobs

They have a weak mentality and are serial losers.

Time we got to the root of the problem at the club and changed the culture and we can't do that while people make excuses for the poor lambs.

This is a club with the best stadium and training facilities in the league, the fans who go pay among the highest prices in the world.

The excuses need to stop

Why should they be that short on confidence? they had a decent 2nd half and a win against Saints in the last game.

Don't make excuses for this shower of bottle jobs

They have a weak mentality and are serial losers.

Time we got to the root of the problem at the club and changed the culture and we can't do that while people make excuses for the poor lambs.

This is a club with the best stadium and training facilities in the league, the fans who go pay among the highest prices in the world.

The excuses need to stop
What excuses we were the worse team so we lost. Man City all well and good that Pep wears a charity hoody but he then works for and supports human rights abusers. Wasn't he the man who talked out in favor of the Qatar World Cup while he was Barcelona Manager.

What excuses we were the worse team so we lost. Man City all well and good that Pep wears a charity hoody but he then works for and supports human rights abusers. Wasn't he the man who talked out in favor of the Qatar World Cup while he was Barcelona Manager.
It's not the losing the game its the manner in which we lost it, we didn't even have a go.

In a cup final you leave it all on the pitch and go down fighting. We didn't do that. Watch it back half of them spent the game jogging about.

Back
Top Bottom