Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
What Jose and Levy have in common is that they were absolutely at the bleeding edge of the most forward-thinking and progressive football advancements in 2004, and have never changed a thing.
The club invested heavily in state of the art sports science facilities under Poch so us not using it right now is probably more on Jose than on Levy. So whoever takes over will have the tools to get the players back up and running over the summer thankfully. We don't need to build this setup up, just reactivate it.

The club invested heavily in state of the art sports science facilities under Poch so us not using it right now is probably more on Jose than on Levy. So whoever takes over will have the tools to get the players back up and running over the summer thankfully. We don't need to build this setup up, just reactivate it.
It's 100% on Jose. He trashed United's sports science setup as well and they had to rebuild the entire thing.

It's 100% on Jose. He trashed United's sports science setup as well and they had to rebuild the entire thing.
On one hand, it is super weird to see someone as competitive as Jose not keep up to date with something that would give him an edge.

On the other hand, it is not surprising at all to see someone that is very successful being unwilling to adapt from what they "know" works. We see it all over sports and in other industries and walks of life all the time.

It is one of the things that really has surprised me about Mourinho. That he would allow the players not to be at peak fitness. All very strange.

It is one of the things that really has surprised me about Mourinho. That he would allow the players not to be at peak fitness. All very strange.
Yeah. Like I said in another post, it is very surprising that someone as competitive as him would not utilize anything that would give him an edge.

But he is probably like a lot of successful people, very set in his ways that worked when he broke through.

This is another interesting bit from the latest Gold video:

• Club looking to return to data-driven sports science behind the scenes after Mourinho, multiple people in the club have said there are concerns over the fitness of the squad.

It's good to see that the club will give the new manager tools to get the players fitter. Also it is not surprising at all that an old school manager like Jose does not buy into sports science or uses an older method/style of it from when he broke through. Seeing it return is a positive.
Its a fair one, i literally have been mentioning all season that the players dont look fit at all, we would literally have a couple of counter attacks and the lads would be absolutely blowing. Its definitely been a issue.

This was the other problem after Poch left, the players were in the best physical condition cause poch’s philosophy was to work hard, keep pressing, keep attacking. Then we completely switched it up with jose and the players no longer had to keep in tip top shape as they were asked to play a completely opposite style of footie. Clearly wasnt a good fit for us.

Last edited:
would take Howe and probably Sarri over Ten Hag.
No Way Lol GIF by NBA

This is another interesting bit from the latest Gold video:

• Club looking to return to data-driven sports science behind the scenes after Mourinho, multiple people in the club have said there are concerns over the fitness of the squad.

It's good to see that the club will give the new manager tools to get the players fitter. Also it is not surprising at all that an old school manager like Jose does not buy into sports science or uses an older method/style of it from when he broke through. Seeing it return is a positive.
Yeah, it was an interesting tidbit about our squad lacking in peak fitness and how Ole had openly said similar things after taking over at United. Can honestly say that passed me by.

I wonder if a lack of fitness contributed to our multiple implosions in the last ten minutes of games.
:kanehand:

I don't think they are unfit, more like they have lost the will to live and have no more enthusiasm left after 18 months of Jose
Imagine being there for 5+ years under Levy then.

I think the players stop playing for Levy, and no one else, especially if he's as involved in the day to day as the documentary made it seem.

I was a Nagelsmann voter, and to be honest not one of those names really appeal to me, what so ever. I think Parker is going to eventually be a good fit for Spurs but hiring him now would just be to soon and turn the fans against him. It would be one step up from Mason being appointed, and I mean that with no disrespect towards either of them.

Realistically, I don't think we will get who will be best for what we need at the moment. Were going to have to accept a Potter, a huge step up and going from staying up to top 4 is a bit of a jump in a immediate season.

Fuck it. Let's give 'Arry a go for another season. I mean really what do we have to lose until someone better pops up. Levy's indecision and lack of willingness to snap up the best available manager at the time or even signing Nagelsmann now for the summer would've been the best option.

Now we're sitting with our thumbs up our ass again trying to dig out something useful and usable when most of that list is...well, shit.

Yeah, it was an interesting tidbit about our squad lacking in peak fitness and how Ole had openly said similar things after taking over at United. Can honestly say that passed me by.

I wonder if a lack of fitness contributed to our multiple implosions in the last ten minutes of games.
:kanehand:
Probably did.

On the flip side, our lower playing tempo has probably played a factor in less muscle injuries this season. Especially considering the schedule.

But there's a middle ground between Poch's insane fitness and Jose's seeming lack of focus on fitness.

It's nice to see that the new boss will be given the tools to fix this.

Imagine being there for 5+ years under Levy then.

I think the players stop playing for Levy, and no one else, especially if he's as involved in the day to day as the documentary made it seem.

I was a Nagelsmann voter, and to be honest not one of those names really appeal to me, what so ever. I think Parker is going to eventually be a good fit for Spurs but hiring him now would just be to soon and turn the fans against him. It would be one step up from Mason being appointed, and I mean that with no disrespect towards either of them.

Realistically, I don't think we will get who will be best for what we need at the moment. Were going to have to accept a Potter, a huge step up and going from staying up to top 4 is a bit of a jump in a immediate season.

Fuck it. Let's give 'Arry a go for another season. I mean really what do we have to lose until someone better pops up. Levy's indecision and lack of willingness to snap up the best available manager at the time or even signing Nagelsmann now for the summer would've been the best option.

Now we're sitting with our thumbs up our ass again trying to dig out something useful and usable when most of that list is...well, shit.

Agree about Levy

Loved Harry but there would be no point bringing him back for a year and in a way it's disrespectful to him. He has retired, we have moved on.

I'd be happy with Potter or Ten Hag, their teams play attractive football. Parker is the same but like you say it may be too soon.

Ten Hag starting to make sense.

Will be great to see him work with Skipp and Rodon.
If Covid is going to keep affecting our finances over the next season or so then it makes sense to get a manager that has a track record of developing youth.

Another boost is that our current youth seem to be pretty decent as well.

Back
Top Bottom