Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
What was the purpose of him staying there beyond 2018/19? Wouldn't a more ambitious manager seek a new challenge beyond the Eredivise? Or has no one really come in for him? Ajax is a big club with a big history but the Dutch league is little better than Scottish League. I certainly don't expect Steve Gerrard to be bumming around at Rangers in his fifties.
I can see it now.
"Its only 10 years since Rangers ,along with Celtic joined the English premier league (now called the Daniel Levy confederation super challenge league ) and here is long time boss,Stevie Gerrard picking up his knighthood after his 4 successive quadraple"

So why winning Eredivisie would not an achievement? Ajax are not the undisputed contenders in Netherlands, in fact they haven’t won the title since 2013 or something like that before ten Hag was hired. If you’re not convinced about winning Eredivisie in style, look at Ajax’s European journey. They’ve knocked out a few important sides that year they’ve got in the semifinals and did well even after losing four important players.

You beat the drum as if winning Eredivisie is a joke but you’re mystified by a man who’s only managed a few promotions in a much lesser league
Winning the Eredivisie is a joke with consistently the richest biggest club in Holland.

Compare that to Potters achievements in Sweden it would be like him taking Achilles 29 (currently bottom of Holland’s Jupiler league) to win the Erevidise

Or like taking Grimsby town from bottom of league 2 to the premier league could Ten Haag do that?

What was the purpose of him staying there beyond 2018/19? Wouldn't a more ambitious manager seek a new challenge beyond the Eredivise? Or has no one really come in for him? Ajax is a big club with a big history but the Dutch league is little better than Scottish League. I certainly don't expect Steve Gerrard to be bumming around at Rangers in his fifties.
He literally started earning his stripes a decade ago at small Dutch clubs. Gerrard started his managerial career in his 30s and he got straight into a big job.

Winning the Eredivisie is a joke with consistently the richest biggest club in Holland.

Compare that to Potters achievements in Sweden it would be like him taking Achilles 29 (currently bottom of Holland’s Jupiler league) to win the Erevidise

Or like taking Grimsby town from bottom of league 2 to the premier league could Ten Haag do that?
Ajax hadn't won the eredevisie for 3 years before he joined and hadn't got out the group stages of the champions league since 04/05. I'd much prefer Ten Hags achievements over what Potter did in Sweden, which is not translating into anything in England, because Birghton are where they always are, hovering above relegation.

Like the German League?
Or the French League?
Or the Scottish/English/Italian leagues?

Except it doesn't always happen does it.

Potter has done ok. But has he constantly provided a team that has shown up well in European football, or developed plyed the stand of De Jong, De Ligt etc?

18/19 was his first full season in charge of Ajax

Look I’m not belittleing Potter’s career in Sweden, but you realize in the Swedish football pyramid the gap between bottom first tier clubs and fourth tier clubs is not as massive as in England, right? This proves that Potter can coach a group of players and can outsmart some Swedish part time managers, but once he stepped into Swansea then later Brighton the impact wasn’t as big as it was at Ostersund, was it?

really hope that’s true because I just read that Southgate has been contacted by Levy.

That muppet would be the final straw.

Southgate?

giphy.gif

All these Potter fans (Potheads???) do realise that this great manager has his team TWO POINTS BELOW NEWCASTLE

You know Newcastle, with Steve Bruce at the helm. Steve "always one defeat away from the sack" Bruce at the helm.

Achievements aplenty.

So why winning Eredivisie would not an achievement? Ajax are not the undisputed contenders in Netherlands, in fact they haven’t won the title since 2013 or something like that before ten Hag was hired. If you’re not convinced about winning Eredivisie in style, look at Ajax’s European journey. They’ve knocked out a few important sides that year they’ve got in the semifinals and did well even after losing four important players.

You beat the drum as if winning Eredivisie is a joke but you’re mystified by a man who’s only managed a few promotions in a much lesser league.
It’s like most of the leagues in Europe (shit ones)

Scotland - Celtic or Rangers (although been a long journey back to the top for the gers)

Holland - Ajax or PSV and once upon a time Feyenord

Spain - Real Madrid or Barcelona and maybe Athletico Madrid once in a blue moon

Germany - Bayern 9 times out of 10 then Dortmund win there 1

France PSG and every now and then Monaco or this season Lille maybe

These leagues are not that competitive so I don’t think we should read too much into Ten Haags amazing achievements at the richest biggest club In Holland.

Normally Ajax coaches come from within the club. Ten Hag roots are in the East of the Netherlands, close to the German border. You think his English is horrific, his Dutch is even worse. He is a farmer boy with no flair at all who more or less out of the blue became the Ajax coach. He started with a lot of scepticism from both media and fans.
Now Ajax is not a European top club but I am sure it's definitely one of the most difficult clubs to be the manager of. Defensive football is just not being accepted. Both attractive football and results is what the supporters demand, nothing less. I can imagine Ten Hag didn't feel like he was finished yet at Ajax and wanted to settle in a bit more and further improve the team.
I think Spurs should be glad with his attitude. If he was as 'ambitious' as you say, he will be gone to City within a year after 'doing' Spurs.

Look I’m not belittleing Potter’s career in Sweden, but you realize in the Swedish football pyramid the gap between bottom first tier clubs and fourth tier clubs is not as massive as in England, right? This proves that Potter can coach a group of players and can outsmart some Swedish part time managers, but once he stepped into Swansea then later Brighton the impact wasn’t as big as it was at Ostersund, was it?
Clubs measure success differently I don’t think it’s in his Remit at Brighton to get in next seasons europa league with the budget they have
Others of you wrongly compare Potter keeping Brighton in the premier league to that of Poch finishing 8th in his first season with Southampton and say well he isn’t that great if his side just avoid relegation etc
Make no mistake Southampton are a massive club compared to Brighton and you Potter doubters really need to look at how he sets his teams up and how entertaining they are to watch on a shoestring budget

This discussion regarding Ten Hag is getting silly now.

Yes. There is a step up from the Eredivisie to the PL. And a fair few managers have failed at that. But Ten Hag is obviously a talented manager with a lot of stuff going for him and Tottenham are in no position to scoff at him if he is appointed.

Ten Hag ticks a lot of boxes for what we need to start our new project. If he is announced we should be delighted.

Clubs measure success differently I don’t think it’s in his Remit at Brighton to get in next seasons europa league with the budget they have
Others of you wrongly compare Potter keeping Brighton in the premier league to that of Poch finishing 8th in his first season with Southampton and say well he isn’t that great if his side just avoid relegation etc
Make no mistake Southampton are a massive club compared to Brighton and you Potter doubters really need to look at how he sets his teams up and how entertaining they are to watch on a shoestring budget
Give me a break. At the end of the day it’s important to play attractive football AND get results.

Leeds have had a less quality squad when they came up compared to Brighton, yet they’ve done much better in terms of results as well as sticking to their attacking principles.

....unfortunately for Potter, and key to all this is: he looks like the bloke from 'Sooty'
40461.jpg
0_Mirror-FeatureText-Rachael-BletchleySooty-Sweep-and-Soo-and-their-right-hand-man-Richard-Cadell.jpg

...now I've nothing against Richard Cadel, but we need BOX OFFICE GLAMOUR to sell our 'brand' to 'Murrica and Aisa...

Not a bloke who talks into the ear of a mute yellow sock!

(But yes, if we weren't 'Spurs' I'd have him in a heartbeat!)
I think I need to call it a day and stop here.... this is as funny as I get!

Like our CL semi final against Ajax... this is me done, I've peaked, it's as good as it's gonna get. So goodnight, sweet dreams, see you on the other side!

It's Oil money fueled success or bust!

This discussion regarding Ten Hag is getting silly now.

Yes. There is a step up from the Eredivisie to the PL. And a fair few managers have failed at that. But Ten Hag is obviously a talented manager with a lot of stuff going for him and Tottenham are in no position to scoff at him if he is appointed.

Ten Hag ticks a lot of boxes for what we need to start our new project. If he is announced we should be delighted.
A true mediator 👍

I like Ten Haag I just feel people here are wrongly blowing smoke up his ass because he’s won a couple of league titles in Holland with the most fancied team who always produce fantastic young prospects like De Joong and De Ligt

Give me a break. At the end of the day it’s important to play attractive football AND get results.

Leeds have had a less quality squad when they came up compared to Brighton, yet they’ve done much better in terms of results as well as sticking to their attacking principles.
i guarantee you 100% they spent shitloads more money then Brighton too

Back
Top Bottom