Top 4? 2020/2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Finishing position 2020/2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We can still get 4th, but we need a few things to happen:

1. Win all our games, and Liverpool and Pikeys don't win all theirs; and
2. Leicester pick up max five points over next three games; or
3. Chelsea pick up max seven points over their four games.

I think #2 and #3 are definitely possible, if not likely, but I don't think we will win out.

To start, we could really do with Liverpool not beating United (whenever that happens), and Chelsea losing to City.

IF we win ALL our remaining games, these would be the permutations:

Chelsea:
We need Chelsea to drop 5 points to finish above them-
Man City (A), Woolwich (H), Leicester (H), Aston Villa (A)

Leicester:
We finish above Leicester unless they win both these games (if we beat them)-
Manchester Utd (A), Chelsea (A)

West Ham:
We finish above West Ham unless they win all their games-
Everton (H), Brighton (A), WBA (A), Southampton (H)

Liverpool:
We finish above Liverpool unless they win all their games-
Southampton (H), Man Utd (A), WBA (A), Burnley (A), Crystal Palace (H)

If we finish above 3 of those 4 teams above, we get top 4.

Last edited:
We just need to win out and hope for the best. At the worst, it gives us a strong finish and Europa league. Obviously not what we wanted to start the season but after the first 33 games, I'll take that finish now.

Does 5th potentially get CL footy if an English team wins CL and finish in top.4 and Utd win Europa??

What happens if Leicester finish 3rd, we finish 4th, Chelsea win the the CL and Arse win the EL......the FA are given 5 CL places but the scenario I've outlined means 6 candidates for those 5 places

If City win the CL or Utd win Europa , does 5th in the league take the extra CL spot?
Is Bergwijn eligible?

:wall:

Take it game by game and focus on finish as high as possible in the table.

Looking at the cup finals finishing as low as 7th will give us European football of some kind. So the higher we can go in the table the better.

Makes for prettier reading but remember they do have a game in hand.
:kanehand:
Star Wars No GIF

Best run in the league this season we beat Burnley Fulham and palace. 3 on the bounce. Against shite.

To win our last 6 league games in a row should actually get Ryan Mason the job.
Don’t know when the last time that would have happened tbh. Seeing as our league form under poch dropped off a cliff.
I think most Jose ever won was 3 in a row over both seasons.
We had a few good winning streaks during the 16/17 and 17/18 campaigns. That was with a much fitter and younger squad though. There were two 6 game winning runs and a 9 believe it or not.
Going unbeaten for the last 4 games is a big ask. A lot will depend on player attitude and leaving Doherty, Sissoko and Winks at home.
:avbpray:

3 points for west ham. I don’t think that hurts our slim top 4 chances as I don’t expect them to win out (and we need to for top 4).

It does hurt our Europa chances. If we drop points in 2 of our last 4 games, I’d say top 6 is off the table.

3 points for west ham. I don’t think that hurts our slim top 4 chances as I don’t expect them to win out (and we need to for top 4).

It does hurt our Europa chances. If we drop points in 2 of our last 4 games, I’d say top 6 is off the table.
Hate to admit it. Spammers look a proper team this season. We have slipped at Burnley in similar circumstances and they didn’t tonight. Gave them a bit of a lesson to be honest. With Chelsea and Leicester’s games, it’s there for them to capitalise. If we didn’t hand them a point and then 3 at their place we really would be in this rather than them.

This fixture reschedule is an absolute joke, and a massive blow to our top 4/5 hopes:

Man United fixtures:
  • Thursday, 6 May (20:00 BST): Roma v Man Utd (Stadio Olimpico, Europa League semi-final second leg)
  • Sunday, 9 May (14:05 BST): Aston Villa v Man Utd (Villa Park, Premier League)
  • Tuesday, 11 May (18:00 BST): Man Utd v Leicester City (Old Trafford, Premier League)
  • Thursday, 13 May (20:15 BST): Man Utd v Liverpool (Old Trafford, Premier League)
Huge advantage for two of our rivals, Leicester and Liverpool.

This fixture reschedule is an absolute joke, and a massive blow to our top 4/5 hopes:

Man United fixtures:
  • Thursday, 6 May (20:00 BST): Roma v Man Utd (Stadio Olimpico, Europa League semi-final second leg)
  • Tuesday, 11 May (18:00 BST): Man Utd v Leicester City (Old Trafford, Premier League)
  • Thursday, 13 May (20:15 BST): Man Utd v Liverpool (Old Trafford, Premier League)

Are they actually playing four games in a week!

That’s madness

Man United fixtures:
Don’t be getting yourself so worked up. No doubt we’ll contrive to about ourselves on the door first - starting with not winning at Leeds on Saturday.

Man United fixtures:

They've done that to help Liverpool. Absolutely outrageous. The obvious thing to do was to play it on 15/16th and move Liverpool vs West Brom to earlier. What they've done is just corrupt.

Soooooooo

If we sneak top 4 at Chelsea's expense... we've then got the old "pushed out of Champions League spot through sheer bad luck" problem haven't we?

If Europa is won by either Man U or Woolwich and Chelsea win Champions League.........

4th won't won't be good enough for a Champions league spot.

:pochcry:

Back
Top Bottom