The New Stadium, a Good or Bad Thing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:avbfacepalm:

---
We don't need a new ground, just expand the shelf and increase capaticy to 42,000

Now your debating with yourself. Newcastle have a much bigger stadium than us and they got relegated in recent years. Woolwich have won nothing since their new stadium. In my thread I pointed out that NO club in the world has ever become successful due the building of a new stadium. In many years to come, and once the stadium has been paid off, the club will be in a position to make more profit than they do at present. That however is a million miles away from making us more successful on the pitch. If we ever find ourselves in a position where we can spend big on players, you have to remember that whilst Levy is in charge that spending is unlikely to happen.

You missed my point. Deliberately? Which was that if we DON'T invest in a new stadium we stand still or go backwards.

I accept that building a new stadium is high risk. And it is not the panacea which means we make CL. BUT without it we cannot achieve greatness. It is part of a mix, and many, many clubs have failed to get it right, starting with Huddersfield who won the league, built a giant new stadium and were relegated 3 times in 3 years, ending up with the biggest stadium in the 4th Division. that doesn't make it bad, it means that the way it was done was bad.

But it is a risk we must take.

When the NPD design was floated a season or three back i was all for it.
Now i really couldn't give a toss.

Si, i thought your favourite crisps were Sour Grape flavour? certainly not Humble Pie.....

;)

You missed my point. Deliberately? Which was that if we DON'T invest in a new stadium we stand still or go backwards.

I accept that building a new stadium is high risk. And it is not the panacea which means we make CL. BUT without it we cannot achieve greatness. It is part of a mix, and many, many clubs have failed to get it right, starting with Huddersfield who won the league, built a giant new stadium and were relegated 3 times in 3 years, ending up with the biggest stadium in the 4th Division. that doesn't make it bad, it means that the way it was done was bad.

But it is a risk we must take.

I tend to agree with you. In my opening thread I did say that I slightly lent towards the building of it. I must admit though that I am a little frustrated with the supporters that honestly believe that the NPD is a nailed on start to something incredible, and those supporters I refer to are a majority. You got it right, it is an enormous risk, but one probably worth taking. Unfortunately, unlike you, I don't have the faith in Levy. Anyway, the way things are going it may not get built at all

:avbfacepalm:

---
We don't need a new ground, just expand the shelf and increase capaticy to 42,000

Its not really big enough.

Look, the way I see it, this isnt really a question about the stadium. It's a question about what do we want from Spurs. As much as you may see me wibble about Old Timey Football (well, pre premiership) being proper football, I want Spurs to be the best they can be (yeah yeah, gillette advert music and so on)

Our peers as clubs have bigger stadia than us. Newcastle have a much bigger stadium than us, and they should be sponsored by Jongleurs (2 comedy clubs together). As much as Levy has done a reasonable job maximising the revenue to be able to compete, the longer it goes on, the harder its going to be. 3 of the top four spots should, all things being even, be out of our reach, simply because chelsea, manu and citeh havng more financial clout than us. they may have the odd shitty season, but generally they will block out the top 3. (I mean, chelsea have had two shitty seasons, apparently. in which they've finished 6th, 4th and won the FA cup, Europa league, and champions league.)

The goons will bring in roughly 100 million more next year than us, based on match day cash and chumpions league money. Liverpool are in a similar boat to us, but with more commercial clout than we have, and are about to redevelop Klanfield.

I dont think a new stadium is a panacea that will have us winning the league and finishing top 4 every year. But I think its must just to keep competing at the top end

Without, we aim for mediocrity with an occasional good season. when we fall short of that, we find ourselves needing to win a scrappy 1-0 away at Oldham, on a pissy grim night, in order to stay up, where the only real entertainment was watching the fat bloke run out of our end once we scored, rip off his shirt, roll around in the mud of the goalmouth, and get nicked for his trouble.
Or some Oligarch buys us and that is an abhorrent idea.

With it, we have a chance. and thats all I ask for.

I have shown you various pieces of evidence to prove my point, what more do you want ?

although I've seen a couple of episodes of Crown Court in my misspent youth, I'm no expert on the legal system............but I put it to you that your evidence would NOT be admissible in a court of law due to it being made up.

M'lud.

My relatives live 2 minutes away from the Lane, and I live about 30. To be fair, the area has seriously deteriorated over the last few decades, but there are still people who care about the community, and care massively about the club down there. I don't know if any of you live down there are go to the local church, but recently they raised a shitload of money off donations because of some push for extra funds. The majority of people down there are alright. Having said that, I do know a guy who got offered the services of a Romanian prostitute on the street in broad daylight the other day, about 500 yards away from Tottenham High Road

My relatives live 2 minutes away from the Lane, and I live about 30. To be fair, the area has seriously deteriorated over the last few decades, but there are still people who care about the community, and care massively about the club down there. I don't know if any of you live down there are go to the local church, but recently they raised a shitload of money off donations because of some push for extra funds. The majority of people down there are alright. Having said that, I do know a guy who got offered the services of a Romanian prostitute on the street in broad daylight the other day, about 500 yards away from Tottenham High Road

I don't suppose he told you ow much she was charging, and if she looked any good ?

I can`t be bothered to read through all the threads, but , just to have my say.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how anyone can seriosly want us to have a succesful team. competing at the top end where we should be, while at the same time not believing we need a new stadium, with a capacity well in excess of 50,000. My only qualm is that it should have been built outside of Tottenham, north of the M25, making access easier for the vast majority of supporters. The club is bigger than some people seem to realise. Its certainly outgrown the shithole area it now finds itself stuck in.
Anyway, I cant see the new stadium being built in the next decade, Another reason we should have moved out of the local area altogether. Fuck`em. Even West Fucking Ham will have overtaken us by then if ENIC are still involved.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how anyone can seriosly want us to have a succesful team. competing at the top end where we should be,
while at the same time not believing we need a new stadium, with a capacity well in excess of 50,000. My only qualm is that it should have been built outside of Tottenham, north of the M25,
making access easier for the vast majority of supporters. The club is bigger than some people seem to realise. Its certainly outgrown the shithole area it now finds itself stuck in.
Anyway, I cant see the new stadium being built in
the next decade, Another reason we should have moved out of the local area altogether. Fuck`em. Even West Fucking Ham will have overtaken us by then if ENIC are still involved.

Out of order John.if your going to support the club then also respect the area.shithole or not its our birthplace and our heartland and whatever we do we must stay in Tottenham and if not Tottenham,then most definitely somewhere in north london.if you want a team north of the m25 go and support Stevenage!

Well a bigger capacity is needed, by just extending the stadium wouldn't be the goal we are aiming for.
You get 45k instead of a 55 or 58k new world class stadium. Surely the money we have to raise and stick into the new project is massive for any club. But when should we do it?
The building of the new stadium will be done bit by bit. I heard the plans to build the new stadium itself cost plenty of millions, so each year we will have more money available for it.
I agree with the fcuked up area that it is in now but I also do believe that it will be a very good thing for the community and Haringey itself! :avbpray:

Out of order John.if your going to support the club then also respect the area.shithole or not its our birthplace and our heartland and whatever we do we must stay in Tottenham and if not Tottenham,then most definitely somewhere in north london.if you want a team north of the m25 go and support Stevenage!

Maybe your right and my terminology was too strong. But, if we HAVE to stay in Tottenham, just because `we` were born there, we really are limiting our capacity to grow. We are Spurs, and yes we hail from Tottenham. But the vast majority of our supporters no lnger live in or come from Tottenham. If they did we would be a similar size club to Brentford or Wimbledon. Maybe i should have said move `towards` the M25. But I really think the local authority has fucked us about so much they dont deserve to keep reaping the benefits we bring them. I think the club should be looking after the fans, not the local residents, The majority of which probably couldnt give a fuck about us anyway.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how anyone can seriosly want us to have a succesful team. competing at the top end where we should be, while at the same time not believing we need a new stadium, with a capacity well in excess of 50,000. My only qualm is that it should have been built outside of Tottenham, north of the M25, making access easier for the vast majority of supporters. The club is bigger than some people seem to realise. Its certainly outgrown the shithole area it now finds itself stuck in.
Anyway, I cant see the new stadium being built in the next decade, Another reason we should have moved out of the local area altogether. Fuck`em. Even West Fucking Ham will have overtaken us by then if ENIC are still involved.

Have you ever asked yourself why it's called TOTTENHAM Hotspur. Most Spurs supporters have spent their life deriding Woolwich for playing their football in North London, after having South London origins, and now you want to do something similar ??

On another note. Have a look at my original thread. Whilst I am marginally in favour of a new stadium, there are plenty of arguments against it.

Back
Top Bottom