The New Stadium, a Good or Bad Thing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

John Thomas John Thomas ok, you don't think the club should be in an area that houses poor people/ethnic minorities etc, so should move out of London altogether. I take it you live north of London, and so your proposed move would make it easier to get to the stadium?

Or would you also say the club could move to Surrey, for example. There are lots of Spurs fans all around the southeast, after all.

If you would not accept a move to Surrey, why? I'm interested if you feel there is any geographical necessity in moving out of London but staying close to north London?

Hey where are you going? Trying to get away from Mr Always Right!
hey_little_guy_where_you_going-44880.gif

John Thomas John Thomas ok, you don't think the club should be in an area that houses poor people/ethnic minorities etc, so should move out of London altogether. I take it you live north of London, and so your proposed move would make it easier to get to the stadium?

Or would you also say the club could move to Surrey, for example. There are lots of Spurs fans all around the southeast, after all.

If you would not accept a move to Surrey, why? I'm interested if you feel there is any geographical necessity in moving out of London but staying close to north London?

Oh we should definately stay close to North London. We have no historical ties to surrey. But if you are suggesting we should never move out of Tottenham, then, in my opinion, that is a very narrow minded view. In fact, the words noses and faces spring to mind. Its a bit like saying Birmingham city fc can moved to a new stadium anywhere within the 750 square miles or so that constitutes Birmingham, but the likes of Tottenham and, say Everton must have their stadiums within the neighbourhood in which those clubs were founded. I just think we should look to be more expansive.
For the record, I currently live 150 miles West of London, and have never actually lived for any length of time within London itself. This is probably why my views differ from yours, and I readily accept your views are probably more valid than mine. But as a life-long Spurs supporter, and frequent match go-er, I still think i`m entitled to an opinion.

Oh we should definately stay close to North London. We have no historical ties to surrey. But if you are suggesting we should never move out of Tottenham, then, in my opinion, that is a very narrow minded view. In fact, the words noses and faces spring to mind. Its a bit like saying Birmingham city fc can moved to a new stadium anywhere within the 750 square miles or so that constitutes Birmingham, but the likes of Tottenham and, say Everton must have their stadiums within the neighbourhood in which those clubs were founded. I just think we should look to be more expansive.
For the record, I currently live 150 miles West of London, and have never actually lived for any length of time within London itself. This is probably why my views differ from yours, and I readily accept your views are probably more valid than mine. But as a life-long Spurs supporter, and frequent match go-er, I still think i`m entitled to an opinion.

we move out of North London I stop going. fact. if that makes me narrow minded then so be it.

Not sure why you slip into the barbed hint that fans who live in London feel they are more entitled to an opinion - I certainly never said you aren't entitled to one.

But my question is why do you think we should stay close to north London? Either there's a geographical tie to the club, or there isn't.

Not sure what you mean by Birmingham moving either. That's a city with two big clubs. London is completely different, no? Again, I'm not questioning your right to an opinion here, just discussing it with you.

Oh we should definately stay close to North London. We have no historical ties to surrey. But if you are suggesting we should never move out of Tottenham, then, in my opinion, that is a very narrow minded view. In fact, the words noses and faces spring to mind. Its a bit like saying
Birmingham city fc can moved to a new stadium anywhere within the 750 square miles or so that constitutes Birmingham, but the likes of Tottenham and, say Everton must have their stadiums within the neighbourhood in which those clubs were founded. I just think we should look to be more expansive.

Would you be happy with either wembley or Stratford?

My relatives live 2 minutes away from the Lane, and I live about 30. To be fair, the area has seriously deteriorated over the last few decades, but there are still people who care about the community, and care massively about the club down there. I don't know if any of you live down there are go to the local church, but recently they raised a shitload of money off donations because of some push for extra funds. The majority of people down there are alright. Having said that, I do know a guy who got offered the services of a Romanian prostitute on the street in broad daylight the other day, about 500 yards away from Tottenham High Road
ahhh for a Pleat Smilie

But my question is why do you think we should stay close to north London? Either there's a geographical tie to the club, or there isn't.

Not sure what you mean by Birmingham moving either. That's a city with two big clubs. London is completely different, no? Again, I'm not questioning your right to an opinion here, just discussing it with you.
I think the point about Birmingham is that if a club is called "Birmingham City", then they have free reign to have their stadium anywhere in the city. Much like a "London FC" would be at home all around London (which is something, iirc, Leyton Orient would try to do if they drop the "Leyton").

So I think John Thomas John Thomas has in mind that there's a specific connection to North London (signaled in the name), but that it's no longer practical to actually have a stadium in Tottenham.

Incidentally, many US teams are named after geographic features nearby, like the New York Giants and Jets (who both play in New Jersey), the Los Angeles Angels (who play in Anaheim, which is not even in Los Angeles County), and the Golden State Warriors (who play in California, not the golden state known as being high off your ass).

If we moved from Tottenham we'd be the laughing stock of London. After all the stick we gave the Woolwich Wanders for moving - we'd look like fucking mugs.

Its about Tradition, Identity & Location. To me all these are links on a chain that if broken devalues a club. No matter how much 'new' money other clubs have they cannot buy all 3 of these links. We have all these and moving to another location would probably result in losing a lot of historical support and memories that money cannot buy!

Back
Top Bottom