Poch coming back to Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think Pochettino would be a good choice for our next coach?

• Yes

Votes: 175 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 115 39.7%

• Total voters
Conte won the league with peak Hazard and Kante, neither of whom got injured that season nor did they have European football to deal with. He is a great manager but Chelsea had some great payers.

They also had DavidLuiz as their main CB, Victor Moses as a full back, Pedro as one of their main forwards and Matic as their key midfielder...

It wasnt a galacticos type team by any stretch.

And to Contes credit, I dont think the like of Moses, Pedro, Alonso and Azpilucueta ever looked as good as they did under him.

Seems unlikely to me that the Poch story was really ever a thing. It’s fallen away today as quickly as a Johnson Government promise.

back to Graham boring Potter and Phil Brown fighting it out.

The same guy who said he didn't care about Domestic cups?
Do you honestly think that Levy will give Conte the kind of budget he requires, that Conte can actually win a title here inside of two years, and that Conte would entertain staying longer than two years? There's noway any of that happens.

I think the club had a plan and then all of a sudden Conte, Zidane and Poch all wanted to leave/left. You have to at least feel out your options if you are Levy.

:levylol:

tenor.gif

Do you honestly think that Levy will give Conte the kind of budget he requires, that Conte can actually win a title here inside of two years, and that Conte would entertain staying longer than two years? There's noway any of that happens.
1 and 2 yes, 3 - maybe.

I think many of the arguments applied to Mourinho apply. Sometimes you look at the short term, what the club can get from actually winning (huge monkey off our back at the very least) and worry about the next manager down the line as a team that has evolved and stepped up.

If we take the 3-4-3 as a template, and consider Conte's knack for improving players and polishing turds, I really think there is 80% of a very good side at the club already. That being the case, investing in a few players to round out the team is not beyond us.

We actually spent for Mourinho, and in Pochs last window too - as much as we could we backed them.

Would Conte stay longer than that? Well - is it a problem if he doesnt? Ideally he finds a home, settles and really builds and we all live happily ever after - but if what we get is a short term love affair that pays off over two years is that really something to worry about?

Conte for two years, ruthlessly throwing out the garbage and using all his knowledge and proven expertise to help us win silverware, is well, well worth it.

Do you think Poch - who was interested in having Dele at PSG - will do what's necessary to clear out the crap form this squad?

Or bring fresh ideas?

Or push back on Levy enough to do what's necessary to make us real winners?

Conte for two years, ruthlessly throwing out the garbage and using all his knowledge and proven expertise to help us win silverware, is well, well worth it.

Do you think Poch - who was interested in having Dele at PSG - will do what's necessary to clear out the crap form this squad?

Or bring fresh ideas?

Im ten Hag over Poch. Conte is a guy that takes a good squad and makes it great. He would have probably been perfect when Levy hired Jose. Our squad is not good. This is a solid 5 year makeover. It’s not happening in two.

Or bring fresh ideas?

Yes

Yes

Yes

They also had DavidLuiz as their main CB, Victor Moses as a full back, Pedro as one of their main forwards and Matic as their key midfielder...

It wasnt a galacticos type team by any stretch.

And to Contes credit, I dont think the like of Moses, Pedro, Alonso and Azpilucueta ever looked as good as they did under him.

True but nor was ours. They had the best two players in the league that season Hazard and Kante and also had less football (no European), we had perhaps a more rounded team in some ways but I certainly wouldn’t say better.

Conte was great, Hazard and Kante had no injuries and where at the very peak of their powers and they had no European football. That was combination that beat us.

True but nor was ours. They had the best two players in the league that season Hazard and Kante and also had less football (no European), we had perhaps a more rounded team in some ways but I certainly wouldn’t say better.

Conte was great, Hazard and Kante had no injuries and where at the very peak of their powers and they had no European football. That was combination that beat us.

It was a potent combination, and perhaps Im reading you wrong - for me it doesnt take anything away from Contes performance that year.

Started with a 4-3-3, realised it didnt work - quickly adapted to a 3-4-3, record breaking winning streak, average players like Victor Moses having the season of their lives, second most goals scored and best defence in the league.

I think he did a remarkable job, and also think he could do impressive things with us*

*seems I rate our squad a bit more than most do on here. Genuinely think with some confidence and structure it could be phoenix from the flames stuff. Obviously some buys/sales required but I dont believe it needs a full rebuild.

Anybody thinking ANY manager could come in and somehow transform this team into being better than Man City within 2-3 years are living in dreamland.

We are not winning a Premier League or CL anytime soon.

The best we can do is set out another 5 year project, maybe by then Pep has won everything multiple times, got bored and moved on from City - he is the real X-Factor for them. Hopefully we can nab a EL or FA Cup along the way.

If we time it well and build sensibly that's when we could potentially pounce, depending on how our other rivals are doing.

Can someone answer this:

What has changed with Poch - in the relatively short time away - from the painful stubborness and crapness of his last 18 months with us, to now?

*Having only managed another club for just 6 months.

Anybody thinking ANY manager could come in and somehow transform this team into being better than Man City within 2-3 years are living in dreamland.

We are not winning a Premier League or CL anytime soon.

The best we can do is set out another 5 year project, maybe by then Pep has won everything multiple times, got bored and moved on from City - he is the real X-Factor for them. Hopefully we can nab a EL or FA Cup along the way.

If we time it well and build sensibly that's when we could potentially pounce, depending on how our other rivals are doing.

Fans don’t think like that they think shinny toys. Your right that would be a far better and more realistic approach. I don’t see Conte as workable with our situation much as he is brilliant, for me Ten Hag stands out if he is available. I would say Poch but he would need to work with some of the players that let him down.

Building a solid team over 3 seasons and pouncing is about the only way for a title challenge I can see.

Can someone answer this:

What has changed with Poch - in the relatively short time away - from the painful stubborness and crapness of his last 18 months with us, to now?

*Having only managed another club for just 6 months.

There was not painful stubborness and crapness of his last 18 months, so that would be one "change."

I think most saying that Poch coming back should include him being backed properly by Levy like he wasn't at the end of his time with Spurs so that is kind of a major change as well.

*seems I rate our squad a bit more than most do on here. Genuinely think with some confidence and structure it could be phoenix from the flames stuff. Obviously some buys/sales required but I dont believe it needs a full rebuild.

I don't think that is a major rebuild and certainly could be a quick turnaround if the right moves are made. Although I think that if the wrong moves are made we could be set up to be 6-10th place for the next 5 years as well.

It is an important summer that likely could have a major impact on our next 5-10 years.

Back
Top Bottom