Poch coming back to Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think Pochettino would be a good choice for our next coach?

• Yes

Votes: 175 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 115 39.7%

• Total voters
I don't think that is a major rebuild and certainly could be a quick turnaround if the right moves are made. Although I think that if the wrong moves are made we could be set up to be 6-10th place for the next 5 years as well.

It is an important summer that likely could have a major impact on our next 5-10 years.
Same as any window then, smart buys (and sales) see the team move on, poor ones dont.

Not really the full and painful rebuild so many are so sure of.

There was not painful stubborness and crapness of his last 18 months, so that would be one "change."

I think most saying that Poch coming back should include him being backed properly by Levy like he wasn't at the end of his time with Spurs so that is kind of a major change as well.
Agree. The anti-poch crowd seems to be ignoring that he had no new players for 18 months, and that Levy was trying to maintain the status quo of making the CL every season with an aging squad to pay off stadium debt.

Same as any window then, smart buys (and sales) see the team move on, poor ones dont.

Not really the full and painful rebuild so many are so sure of.

No I don't think it is like most windows.

Last year we had a pretty mediocre window but were fine because we still have enough talent on the team to keep us at a base level.

Now that Kane is likely leaving, Toby and Lloris are getting older and guys like Tanguy and GLC having questions about their fitness we no longer have a lot of the pieces in place to bail us out.

Last year Vinicius didn't work out, not a big deal as Kane and Son are good enough to make up for it, with Kane gone if the striker does not work out we are in trouble.

No CB brought in, that's ok Toby can take a starting role no problem and drag his partner along. No CB this year and we are looking at an aging Toby asked to do too much again, with no quality options if he can't carry his partner again. Plus we are another year away from developing a CB do anyone we do bring in in the future has zero margin for error.

There was not painful stubborness and crapness of his last 18 months, so that would be one "change."

I think most saying that Poch coming back should include him being backed properly by Levy like he wasn't at the end of his time with Spurs so that is kind of a major change as well.
There was plenty of crapness

I think selling the deadwood is the bigger issue than buying. We still have some talented players on paper I think Poch would be fine working with:

Kane, Son, Bale, Bergwijn, Lucas, Rodon, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Sessegnon, Regulion, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Lloris, Tanganga

But then we have another load like the below he may need to sell:

Dier, Dele, Winks, Sissoko, Aurier, Doherty, Davies, Toby, Sanchez

That would leave probably 2 CB, 1 RB, 1 CM, 1 AM and 1 CF to get. So about 9 out and 6 in needed next window from what I can see.

No I don't think it is like most windows.

Last year we had a pretty mediocre window but were fine because we still have enough talent on the team to keep us at a base level.

Now that Kane is likely leaving, Toby and Lloris are getting older and guys like Tanguy and GLC having questions about their fitness we no longer have a lot of the pieces in place to bail us out.

Last year Vinicius didn't work out, not a big deal as Kane and Son are good enough to make up for it, with Kane gone if the striker does not work out we are in trouble.

No CB brought in, that's ok Toby can take a starting role no problem and drag his partner along. No CB this year and we are looking at an aging Toby asked to do too much again, with no quality options if he can't carry his partner again. Plus we are another year away from developing a CB do anyone we do bring in in the future has zero margin for error.
Last years window, at the time at least, addressed pretty well every issue we thought we had.

7 players in, and arguably only 1 not exactly what Mourinho wanted (Rodon, a CB as you seem to have forgotten).

And are we writing off talent like NDombele and Lo Celso now? Because they havent yet found form and fitness?

So no, actually, it IS like most windows. Some players in, some out - and if your business is smart you end up a lot better off for it.

I think selling the deadwood is the bigger issue than buying.
As much as anything for the squad composition, we are right on the line when it comes to foreign players etc.

But yes, every one of those squad players that need to move on is a place for someone else who might actually contribute more.

As much as anything for the squad composition, we are right on the line when it comes to foreign players etc.

But yes, every one of those squad players that need to move on is a place for someone else who might actually contribute more.

Of the 9 I put up for sale 4 are home grown I think, we have Skipp and Sess back and so would need about 2 out of the 6 buys to be home grown.

Can someone answer this:

What has changed with Poch - in the relatively short time away - from the painful stubborness and crapness of his last 18 months with us, to now?

*Having only managed another club for just 6 months.
Now it’s 18 months of crapness... it gets longer every time.

in those 18 months he managed 2 top 4s and a CL final.

Last years window, at the time at least, addressed pretty well every issue we thought we had.

7 players in, and arguably only 1 not exactly what Mourinho wanted (Rodon, a CB as you seem to have forgotten).

And are we writing off talent like NDombele and Lo Celso now? Because they havent yet found form and fitness?

So no, actually, it IS like most windows. Some players in, some out - and if your business is smart you end up a lot better off for it.

Last year we had a lot of misses- Vinicius, Rodon, Doherty and Bale not a miss but not the kind of help we needed- but we able to get by because we had Kane, Son, Toby and Hugo to bail us out.

If we miss like that this year we are screwed because Kane is gone, Toby and Hugo are a year older and not able to be relied on and Son can't do it by himself.

If you can't see the importance in replacing Kane versus a regular summer transfer window I am not sure you are living in reality.

Missing out on a back-up striker is massively different than replacing the best player in the league, brining in a CB that can't play isn't a big deal when you have Toby able to play instead, can he do that again this year?

When Levy is the chairman how much money to you think we will continually get to make up for mistakes? If we miss out on spending the Kane money do you think it is likely that next summer we get 200m to fix those mistakes?

This is a massive summer that likely sets the tone for the next 5 years, that is far from a typical summer.

Last year we had a lot of misses- Vinicius, Rodon, Doherty and Bale not a miss but not the kind of help we needed- but we able to get by because we had Kane, Son, Toby and Hugo to bail us out.

If we miss like that this year we are screwed because Kane is gone, Toby and Hugo are a year older and not able to be relied on and Son can't do it by himself.

If you can't see the importance in replacing Kane versus a regular summer transfer window I am not sure you are living in reality.

Missing out on a back-up striker is massively different than replacing the best player in the league, brining in a CB that can't play isn't a big deal when you have Toby able to play instead, can he do that again this year?

When Levy is the chairman how much money to you think we will continually get to make up for mistakes? If we miss out on spending the Kane money do you think it is likely that next summer we get 200m to fix those mistakes?

This is a massive summer that likely sets the tone for the next 5 years, that is far from a typical summer.
When did Kane leave? Must have missed that...

Currently Kane is not gone, and actually theres little sign it will happen - no formal bids or anything, and with him on a longish deal the club have him by the balls.

IF Kane goes, it will be for an obscene amount of money or not at all. And IF he goes, we will invest that money back into the team - we always do.

So, something of a hypothetical storm in a tea cup as it stands.

Otherwise, just as I said, its a regular window - some players in, some out - not a full rebuild as is the mantra here.

The success of which will be seen down the line, hopefully we are smart in our business.

When did Kane leave? Must have missed that...

Currently Kane is not gone, and actually theres little sign it will happen - no formal bids or anything, and with him on a longish deal the club have him by the balls.

IF Kane goes, it will be for an obscene amount of money or not at all. And IF he goes, we will invest that money back into the team - we always do.

So, something of a hypothetical storm in a tea cup as it stands.

Otherwise, just as I said, its a regular window - some players in, some out - not a full rebuild as is the mantra here.

The success of which will be seen down the line, hopefully we are smart in our business.

LOL

Now we are going with the head in the sand Kane isn't leaving nonsense?

Even if Kane stays this is not a normal window with all the holes we have and the declining squad.

I really don't get the point in pretending like this isn't a massive summer for us. We have gone from top 4 4 years in row to finishing 6th and then 7th. They is a clear decline that is impossible to ignore.

To pretend that decline isn't happening makes no sense. To pretend that we don't have major issues with the team both in terms of it aging and the lack of talent makes no sense. Everyone, but you apparently, sees it and admits it.

I don't get what you gain here pretending it isn't clear as day.

If we have a typical summer this year we likely are looking at no better than 6th the next 5 years, and that might be hopefully. It is ridiculous to pretend like that doesn't matter or that it is just a run of the mill summer.

LOL

Even if Kane stays this is not a normal window with all the holes we have and the declining squad.

I really don't get the point in pretending like this isn't a massive summer for us. We have gone from top 4 4 years in row to finishing 6th and then 7th. They is a clear decline that is impossible to ignore.

To pretend that decline isn't happening makes no sense. To pretend that we don't have major issues with the team both in terms of it aging and the lack of talent makes no sense. Everyone, but you apparently, sees it and admits it.

If we have a typical summer this year we likely are looking at no better than 6th the next 5 years, and that might be hopefully. It is ridiculous to pretend like that doesn't matter or that it is just a run of the mill summer.
How is my head in the sand when Ive simply recognised the facts of the situation?

And how is your head not firmly up your ass in taking it as fact he is already gone? I get that Spurs fans are eternal pessimists, but come on...

On the basis that good business is necessary and crucial to a clubs success, then EVERY summer is a massive summer. Its seems silly to labour the point if thats your perspective.

To bang on about needing to address issues in the team, as if I havent noticed, is disingenuous at best.

I have said all along good business needs to be done. What I have also said, which you seem to be going after inexplicably, is that I dont believe that business constitutes a full or painful rebuild.

Perhaps it comes down to each's definition of rebuild?

Keep up with the whole, whatever opinion you hold is absolute fact thing though - it makes for fun reading. Kane is already gone, we are only getting 6th or lower the next 5 years, our squad has no talent.... but Im the one that is pretenting and cannot see....

Don't you get it...?
Poch isn't leaving 'cos P$G said so...
Same as Kane IS leaving, 'cos Man €IT¥ said so....

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE!

LOL

It's obvious Kane wants to leave but him actually going is another thing altogether. Levy sold Wimmer for £18m if I recall. He will not let Kane go for anything less than 150m in my opinion.

The downside is you lose 50m when you sell him next summer for 100m but a lot can change in a year so who knows where we will be then. The upside is we KEEP HARRY KANE for another season.

Whether Kane stays or goes we still need to spend at least 100m to rebuild the defence.

Signing 2 CBs and a RB is priority and we can probably achieve that for about 100m.

That is stage one and can be partially funded by sales of as many of the shit players as we can get out the door.

Doing this alone would give us a good shout of top 4 imo and then any midfield/attacking signings beyond this would be a nice bonus.

How is my head in the sand when Ive simply recognised the facts of the situation?

And how is your head not firmly up your ass in taking it as fact he is already gone? I get that Spurs fans are eternal pessimists, but come on...

On the basis that good business is necessary and crucial to a clubs success, then EVERY summer is a massive summer. Its seems silly to labour the point if thats your perspective.

To bang on about needing to address issues in the team, as if I havent noticed, is disingenuous at best.

I have said all along good business needs to be done. What I have also said, which you seem to be going after inexplicably, is that I dont believe that business constitutes a full or painful rebuild.

Perhaps it comes down to each's definition of rebuild?

Keep up with the whole, whatever opinion you hold is absolute fact thing though - it makes for fun reading. Kane is already gone, we are only getting 6th or lower the next 5 years, our squad has no talent.... but Im the one that is pretenting and cannot see....

You haven't dealt with facts this whole time. It is laughable that you try to say that now.

Again if you can't see how the poor transfers and squad management in the past don't make this summer more important than others then you clearly don't want to see reality. We are losing our cheat code that have masked the issues with the team and made our poor transfer windows in the past not hurt us as much.

This doesn't mean that every other transfer window is meaningless but this one is clear more important. But you seem hell bent on ignoring facts so you can continue your false narrative that a rebuild is not needed.

It's obvious Kane wants to leave but him actually going is another thing altogether. Levy sold Wimmer for £18m if I recall. He will not let Kane go for anything less than 150m in my opinion.

The downside is you lose 50m when you sell him next summer for 100m but a lot can change in a year so who knows where we will be then. The upside is we KEEP HARRY KANE for another season.

Whether Kane stays or goes we still need to spend at least 100m to rebuild the defence.

Signing 2 CBs and a RB is priority and we can probably achieve that for about 100m.

That is stage one and can be partially funded by sales of as many of the shit players as we can get out the door.

Doing this alone would give us a good shout of top 4 imo and then any midfield/attacking signings beyond this would be a nice bonus.

Ok?

Not sure why you quoted me while posting all this.

Back
Top Bottom