Poch coming back to Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think Pochettino would be a good choice for our next coach?

• Yes

Votes: 175 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 115 39.7%

• Total voters

>full powers

giphy.gif

To be fair to him, he's very good at most aspects of the team. All the complaints I've had for him these last days are really the areas I want to see him improve as they are the obvious weaknesses to how he performed for us.

I want to see more holistic use of the squad, and strategy in getting more from the fringe players, having them involved/ready to play.

I want to see him show more flexibility tactically, more than just a good plan A.

I want to see a more ruthless edge to him (and consequently the team).

If he comes in and is in the right place, we'll hopefully see a dynamic and aggressive team dominating opposition every week, that we know will be hard to beat.
Shit, don't come here and be totally level headed and make sense. It's not fair. I'm on a rant here.

If course you are right. I'm exaggerating.

I just think it's a huge mistake bringing him back so soon. When the players that didn't back him is still here. Also I tend to remember the last year better than the years before. And in the last year he was playing terrible football.

I think it is a mistake bringing Poch back this quickly. It is still largely the team that he built. What is he gonna do different versus the team he left?

I love him like a brother and nearly masturbated all over my cornflakes when I first heard this rumour, but when I think a bit more about it, it has disaster written all over it - not fairytale.

Shit, don't come here and be totally level headed and make sense. It's not fair. I'm on a rant here.

If course you are right. I'm exaggerating.

I just think it's a huge mistake bringing him back so soon. When the players that didn't back him is still here. Also I tend to remember the last year better than the years before. And in the last year he was playing terrible football.

I agree, I don't think it's a good idea.

A bit like Mourinho though, if it does happen best to try and look on the bright side and be hopeful - it's a mental self defense mechanism

Last edited:
Just to clarify, it is Poch’s return that I think has disaster written all over it, not the masturbating over my cornflakes. The latter is a tasty breakfast snack made a little soggy, but not a disaster.

I think if Poch comes back, it depends on two things. If he’s coming back and Levy is thinking he will perform some miracle with the shite we got in this team right now then I’d rather not bother. Absolutely pointless. But, I can’t see Levy being this stupid. Surely he can see how bang average the vast majority of our players are. So, my hope is Pochettino is being bought back with reassurances. Reassurance of a rebuild like in his previous tenure. Reassurances of Harry staying for at least 1 more season. If this is it, then I’m happy for Pochettino returning

I think if Poch comes back, it depends on two things. If he’s coming back and Levy is thinking he will perform some miracle with the shite we got in this team right now then I’d rather not bother. Absolutely pointless. But, I can’t see Levy being this stupid. Surely he can see how bang average the vast majority of our players are. So, my hope is Pochettino is being bought back with reassurances. Reassurance of a rebuild like in his previous tenure. Reassurances of Harry staying for at least 1 more season. If this is it, then I’m happy for Pochettino returning

When Poch first came in he basically gutted the squad like we have never seen before. Big names names isolated and booted, he played others some younger like Mason etc.

He has to do that again. Everyone not running for dear life booted, the likes of Skipp playing and getting us fit and hard. Then Levy needs to fill all the gaps with money from the players sold.

It can work but Poch needs to do what he did when he first came and Levy needs to back him and back him properly not half arsed.

If I wanted to try and inject some optimism regarding this being too soon to bring Poch back (something I lean towards agreeing with) I would suggest that there are a couple of caveats about why we tanked performance-wise under him and that we were perhaps unfortunate:

>no signings in summer 2018
>getting to the CL final and losing it

The first should be easily avoided in the future: learn lessons from it about letting the squad stagnate etc. If I was being charitable to Levy I'd cut him a little slack as the stadium was still getting built and Poch seemed stubborn on transfer targets. I think the Mourinho tenure has taught Levy a hard lesson in the actual quality of the squad vs what Poch was able to get out of them at our peak.

The second was a fairly unique situation. To get to the CL final while papering over the cracks of the stagnant squad was incredibly improbable and by all accounts Poch seemed to interpret that CL run as a kind of 'fate' that we were then going to win it. Losing the final seemed to completely burn him out and Ally Gold has spoken about how dejected he looked during the following preseason (and although the Amazon doc may have been selectively edited, he really looked mentally checked-out during the first episode). That long sabbatical before taking the PSG job is no coincidence and he really needed to recharge his batteries, so to speak.

TL;DR there were mistakes that led to Poch's downfall but also some unique circumstances. It might not be the most absurd thing to bring him back if he's feeling fresh/happy to return and we never let summer 2018 get repeated.

What's the point of a rebuild if Poch has his favourites.

The guy could have Messi on the bench and still decide to play Sissoko in attack.
That's my worry.

Worked with, and favoured, Winks, Sissoko etc. The bond in the squad was very good.
So will Poch have the strength of character to get rid of "his" players.

Or will we have a season of Poch's Pals.

I love him like a brother and nearly masturbated all over my cornflakes when I first heard this rumour, but when I think a bit more about it, it has disaster written all over it - not fairytale.
....why are we NOT allowed OUR FAIRYTALE? Is it in the Football League rulebook?

Leicester had THEIRS.... Man City/Agueroooooooo (c) M.Tyler/Sky had theirs....
Chelsea have had plenty, as have Liverpool?

Why are we so devoid of romance that we aren't allowed to have something nice happen that ACTUALLY turns out well?

Why does it always have to end in carnage?

I say we DESERVE a FAIRYTALE...

Tottenham 202:2 .... here it comes!

That's my worry.

Worked with, and favoured, Winks, Sissoko etc. The bond in the squad was very good.
So will Poch have the strength of character to get rid of "his" players.

Or will we have a season of Poch's Pals.
He wanted to shift quite a few player’s supposedly but Baldy overcooked it as usual

What's the point of a rebuild if Poch has his favourites.

The guy could have Messi on the bench and still decide to play Sissoko in attack.

Don't be so stupid, Sissoko was played because there were no other options for CM and the first area of the pitch we improved once the stadium money was getting banked was, you guessed it, central midfield.

We had a paper thin squad (quality wise) for most of his time, that's why he relied on the small group of quality.

Back
Top Bottom