Poch coming back to Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think Pochettino would be a good choice for our next coach?

• Yes

Votes: 175 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 115 39.7%

• Total voters
Poch didn’t win us a league or FA cup, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t be arsed.
Leicester won the FA Cup but only for a VAR decision it could have gone the other way, Mourhino won the Europa League win Man U but should have been knocked out in the semi but the opposing striker missed absolute sitters, Chelscum fluked their win to their Champions League win. There are dozens of examples where luck play a massive part.
Remembering back to where we came close in domestic cups, against Chelscum in the FA Semi Son gave away a penalty, Toby or was it Jan gave away a free kick outside the box from which they scored. Neutrals admitted we were the best team that day but we still lost.
In the league cup semi the score we lost out to Chelscum on penalties.
In the FA Cup semi against Utd Dier’s strike hits the post, later Dembele (every one’s choice) is muscled off the ball by Pogba who crosses for them to score.
Not so easy to pin point Poch for these failings. Ditto Sissoko’s hand ball in the Champions league final.

What Im trying to point out is that luck or circumstance plays a massive part in who lifts a cup.
Of course it does

Hopefully Poch has toughened up and is willing to make the difficult decisions - like putting Lloris in goal in a semi final rather than sticking with Vorm for sentimental reasons.

I doubt Alex Ferguson or Nigel Clough would have given it a seconds thought to drop your 2nd keeper for your number 1 in a semi final.

That's my worry.

Worked with, and favoured, Winks, Sissoko etc. The bond in the squad was very good.
So will Poch have the strength of character to get rid of "his" players.

Or will we have a season of Poch's Pals.
Poch does not strike me as a cuddly teddy bear. I'd imagine he can be a right cunt behind the scenes. I'd imagine he was going bananas that he couldn't get certain players out of the club. We're hearing about it now (the Diers and the Alderweirelds), and it doesn't surprise me at all. I think he was raging Sissoko was given a contract extension.

In saying that, there may be some players that he has a peculiar weakness for (guys like Dele and Winks), and the very notion frightens the bejaysus out of me. He did seem excessively loyal at times. Was that something to do with a lack of squad depth? Possibly. Maybe not.

I think if Poch comes back, it depends on two things. If he’s coming back and Levy is thinking he will perform some miracle with the shite we got in this team right now then I’d rather not bother. Absolutely pointless. But, I can’t see Levy being this stupid. Surely he can see how bang average the vast majority of our players are. So, my hope is Pochettino is being bought back with reassurances. Reassurance of a rebuild like in his previous tenure. Reassurances of Harry staying for at least 1 more season. If this is it, then I’m happy for Pochettino returning
You can say that about any manager coming in.
Getting Potter in who has been used to making a silk purse out of a sow's ear is one thing, he will be straight in the groove, and there is less expectation.

Get Poch back and leave him with a weaker squad than the one that was here when he left, then it's an experiment doomed to fail, and Poch would be a mug to take it on.

I just wish some users on here would also remember the press conferences where he refused to answer questions, where he said he would likely leave after the UCL regardless of the result, where he openly flirted with the media reports that Madrid/United were interested in him.

It was disgusting behaviour from him and I don't think we should be groveling down to a guy who treated us like that.
Lots of disagrees here but not a single person has refuted me.

Why?

Because I'm stating FACTS full stop, and if there's one thing that strikes fear into the hearts of fanboys it's the cold hard truth.

Last edited:
There's always an excuse for Poch and his failure but not so when it's Jose or Mason.

Funny that, almost like there's a Poch fan club on here......
Are you joking? Mason received the most vitriol (for an ex-player) than any other player/manager on here.... he even got called out for his brain damage ffs! (Wasn't YOU was it, btw?)
Jose actually did better than Poch when you compare his managership to Pochetino's final 4 to 5 months. We were 14th in the Premier League having taken just 14 points from our opening 12 games of the 2019-20 season. In fact, really we endured 9 months of awful football in 2019, massively papered over by the CL final.

The time when Poch was "good" was literally years ago now.
....and what about the first 3-4 YEARS? Oh yeah, I forgot, Jose doesn't DO more than 2 years, 'cos everyone realises what a toxic Cunt he is, and doesn't last beyond the moment he gets called out/found out for the negative, self serving narcissist he ACTUALLY is!

Poch does not strike me as a cuddly teddy bear. I'd imagine he can be a right cunt behind the scenes. I'd imagine he was going bananas that he couldn't get certain players out of the club. We're hearing about it now (the Diers and the Alderweirelds), and it doesn't surprise me at all. I think he was raging Sissoko was given a contract extension.

In saying that, there may be some players that he has a peculiar weakness for (guys like Dele and Winks), and the very notion frightens the bejaysus out of me. He did seem excessively loyal at times. Was that something to do with a lack of squad depth? Possibly. Maybe not.
Poch would have the midfield he demanded Levy get - ie GLC & Ndombele rather than Bruno Tosser - plus a more experienced Skipp. And the chance to see if PEH can work in his system, as the equally limited Schneiderlin did at Soton.
I think Kane goes, so that would be a huge problem - the goals, the creative understanding with Sonny etc
Defensively, we'd need a complete rebuild.
I hope he goes back to his Loco Bielsa roots - high press & front foot attitude to try to blow opposing teams away.
And yes, Poch does have favourites. Allegedly Mason (as a player) got the hump because Eriksen got away with things that he didn't. But for Poch Project 1, Eriksen was The Brain, so I at least understand Poch's favouritism.
And yes, I agree, I think the Cult of Sissoko's endless contract renewals was pure Levy. Both Poch & Mourinho got stuck with the Capo of the "French Mafia".

It doesn't matter who the manager is, the players need to be changed. That is something nobody can deny. These stats are pointless because the players were mostly the same.

Bring in Poch and give him time to rebuild.
Yeah we need change so let's bring in the guy we had for 5 years ughh....

Also it was Poch NOT changing hence the reason why we got found out by other managers.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Are you joking? Mason received the most vitriol (for an ex-player) than any other player/manager on here.... he even got called out for his brain damage ffs! (Wasn't YOU was it, btw?)

....and what about the first 3-4 YEARS? Oh yeah, I forgot, Jose doesn't DO more than 2 years, 'cos everyone realises what a toxic Cunt he is, and doesn't last beyond the moment he gets called out/found out for the negative, self serving narcissist he ACTUALLY is!
Yeah, your right Jose and Mason failed and Poch did too, well done.

Of course it does

Hopefully Poch has toughened up and is willing to make the difficult decisions - like putting Lloris in goal in a semi final rather than sticking with Vorm for sentimental reasons.

I doubt Alex Ferguson or Nigel Clough would have given it a seconds thought to drop your 2nd keeper for your number 1 in a semi final.
I assume you mean Brian Clough?

Nigel was as wet a a teenage girl's knickers on a first date!!

Can't refute my point, so you go for spelling mistakes instead.

Desperate times for Poch loonies.
I can refute that Poch did something NO other Spurs manager had done... (take us to the European Cup Final) or is that open for debate...
The fact we didn't win it was down to a Sissoko brain fart, and Kane not being fit (admittedly, Poch's call ultimately) but do you HONESTLY think Jose turned us into a better team than Poch?
Jose was TOXIC... he was pure 21st Century Blame culture...
Yes, Poch had his faults... but it was a LOT more enjoyable watching Spurs under HIM, than Jose's toxic brand of football management....

Refute THAT Mo Fo! (Mic England drop!)

Good thing about bringing back Poch is that he has had 6 months in French football giving him an opportunity to discover the new Njie or Nkoudou. Big advantage!

I can refute that Poch did something NO other Spurs manager had done... (take us to the European Cup Final) or is that open for debate...
The fact we didn't win it was down to a Sissoko brain fart, and Kane not being fit (admittedly, Poch's call ultimately) but do you HONESTLY think Jose turned us into a better team than Poch?
Jose was TOXIC... he was pure 21st Century Blame culture...
Yes, Poch had his faults... but it was a LOT more enjoyable watching Spurs under HIM, than Jose's toxic brand of football management....

Refute THAT Mo Fo! (Mic England drop!)

Who you want as manager?
I'd take my boy Conte all day, Premier League experience, recent cup winning success, good tactical mind and best of all doesn't come with the favouritism baggage of Poch.

We could actually rely on him to make the tough and often dirty decisions that need to be made for the good of the club.

I'd take my boy Conte all day, Premier League experience, recent cup winning success, good tactical mind and best of all doesn't come with the favouritism baggage of Poch.

We could actually rely on him to make the tough and often dirty decisions that need to be made for the good of the club.

Worked out well with Jose, didn’t it.

:dembelefingers:

I can’t wait until Poch returns just to watch you melt down.

Back
Top Bottom