Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That is what puzzles me. Ten Hag and Potter are the only names I saw that fit into the model that would work under current ENIC ways, Poch would probably want good backing this time and Conte wants the world. It’s like Levy is tight with cash but at the same time has a fetish for a big name. We look all over the shop.

I get that black-and-white narrative is super easy to cultivate and reproduce.

But ffs, last summer we shipped out 110 million euros for fees + 10 mil for Bale 1 year contract and ~4 mil for Vinicius - that is total of 124 mEUR.
Summer before that we paid 148 mEUR.

So since start of summer 2019 we have spent 272 million euros. Over quarter of a billion. But sure we don't back managers.
We will never be spending equally with oil-rich clubs. That would be unrealistic.

Our issue is scouting and transfer decision making. For that kind of money we could have got 4 60mil EUR players, that ought to be starters and stars of the show and then have 32 mil left for some gambles. But we have almost exclusively flushed this money down the toilet (though few players could turn it around - here I mean Ndombele, Lo Celso, Rodon, Sess). Only player that has played according to his purchase price has been Hjojberg.

Last edited:

Wait, wait, wait...

Your telling me that the two parties are negotiating over a contract in good faith and things are progressing but not yet complete?

giphy.gif

It feels wrong but the club has actually spent quite a bit the last two seasons.

Spurs net spend since summer 2019 is £150m. Probably should be a lower net spend but we suck at selling.
We definitely have spent recently but it's kinda like my missus complaining we never went out together for the past year and me saying, well I took you out last night.

INJECTION cash, how very 2021. So much closer to the zeitgeist than that tired old WARCHEST cliche
Back in the day you would read in the tabloids “Spurs will be given a £20m WAR CHEST” and wank yourself silly. £20m wouldn’t even sign you Harry Winks these days.
Levy going into negotiations with Conte surely means he willing to spend money, otherwise you wouldn’t waste your time. Even my Nan knows that Conte isn’t a yes man, surely Levy was aware of this. If we don’t land Conte and back him then we should have just signed Potter a month ago.

Back in the day you would read in the tabloids “Spurs will be given a £20m WAR CHEST” and wank yourself silly. £20m wouldn’t even sign you Harry Winks these days.
Levy going into negotiations with Conte surely means he willing to spend money, otherwise you wouldn’t waste your time. Even my Nan knows that Conte isn’t a yes man, surely Levy was aware of this. If we don’t land Conte and back him then we should have just signed Potter a month ago.
£20 million and I would throw in sissoko and Dier! :levywhoa:

I think Levy would. His ego is so big that he thinks he can get anyone to bend towards his way of doing things. He will expect Conte to succeed on the club's terms and budget

I think Levy would. His ego is so big that he thinks he can get anyone to bend towards his way of doing things. He will expect Conte to succeed on the club's terms and budget
I wish I didn’t agree with you.

Kane and transfer funds would have been the first things Conte's agent would have inquired about, so I highly doubt its an issue now - but it makes for a good story. Again, I think a lot of this is posturing.

Also, the club spent £200m+ on players the last 2 years, which is similar to what Inter spent, so I don't think the funding is the issue as much as other backroom details.
200m in two years only tells part of the picture. Prior to that we had a net spend equal to Barnsley for the 5 years beforehand

Back
Top Bottom