Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That Paratici is someone the club is interested in regardless of Conte seems true. That the two have incompatible, incommensurate visions of the project is the rankest of nonsense, who are you kidding?

Explain why a short term manager and a long term DoF may not have differing objectives ... do you ever consider what you post before just banging away?

Of course they could work together, but in case you've missed it Conte has a history of falling out with owners and DoF's when he doesn't get his own way ... so who are you kidding if you think Conte will suddenly change when working with Levy.

Explain why a short term manager and a long term DoF may not have differing objectives ... do you ever consider what you post before just banging away?

Of course they could work together, but in case you've missed it Conte has a history of falling out with owners and DoF's when he doesn't get his own way ... so who are you kidding?
I'd been waiting for your troll take on this, and this is worse than I was expecting. Bad!

Children Peoples GIF

Pages and pages demanding - rightly - that Levy stops interfering and appoints a DoF

So negotiations take place with Fabio Paratici, one of the most respected DoF's in the game, for him to join Spurs as our Sporting Director ... this would hopefully bring much needed oversight and long term planning to our playing staff and academy.

Then out of left field comes the option to appoint Conte, a big time proven winning manager one of the highest profile in the game, but also a total control freak.

So here's the dilemma: Conte wants full control of the transfer budget and squad selection, he's all about the short term and winning something .... that puts him in direct opposition to Fabio who is all about long term when it comes to recruitment and contracts.

So what do you want? After months and months of demanding a DoF should that plan now be binned and instead we leap in with yet another here today gone tomorrow manager?

Should we stick with a DoF and tell Conte to go feck himself?

Or should we try and appoint both and hope to high heaven the wheels don't come off in six months?

Come on backseat CEO's you have all the answers ... so what would you do?

and for the morons who will press disagree without the ability to comment - you sad fecks.

Debatable if he is one of the most respected and a little suspicious that he is hired at the exact same time that we are in discussions with Conte.

I have major concerns that Conte has concerns with our ambitions and willingness to spend but that this new DOF is fine with it.

There is a lot pointing to this guy being a Levy puppet and nothing else.

What I want is a quality DOF being hired and preferably months ago so that he could have time to imminent a plan and evaluate all managers rather than waiting until many guys have been hired and we have already gone in depth in negotiations for at least two guys.

Are we really supposed to believe that Paratici is going to hire his first choice guy at this point? That he is given full control and the needed money to spend?

Debatable if he is one of the most respected and a little suspicious that he is hired at the exact same time that we are in discussions with Conte.

I have major concerns that Conte has concerns with our ambitions and willingness to spend but that this new DOF is fine with it.

What I want is a quality DOF being hired and preferably months ago so that he could have time to imminent a plan and evaluate all managers rather than waiting until many guys have been hired and we have already gone in depth in negotiations for at least two guys.

Are we really supposed to believe that Paratici is going to hire his first choice guy at this point? That he is given full control and the needed money to spend?
First of all I will believe we’ve hired Paratici when I see it, and then I will believe he’s anything more than a well-connected transfer committee junior member when the club formally declares that.

I’m not sure I’d believe he’s got a remit to act independently of Levy if I saw it with my own eyes, that would take some getting used to.

First of all I will believe we’ve hired Paratici when I see it, and then I will believe he’s anything more than a well-connected transfer committee junior member when the club formally declares that.

I’m not sure I’d believe he’s got a remit to act independently of Levy if I saw it with my own eyes, that would take some getting used to.

Last I heard Hitchen was still in the clubs plans. I am sure Paratici came here to work with quality like him and wasn’t in any way told to keep him by Levy.

Totally agree a DoF has been missing for years not just last season ...

We've been chasing Fabio for months when he made it clear he was willing to leave Turin. Very much doubt he would come as a Levy puppet he's had eleven years with Juve under Agnelli who's even more dodgy then Levy.

Fabio did of course work with Conte at Juventus where Conte eventually resigned claiming lack of support .... that seems a stretch as Juve went on to win the league for the next six years.

I have no 'inside' knowledge on what is being negotiated, however it would seem pretty obvious that getting both Conte and Fabio on the same page is a big challenge for any CEO, maybe an impossible one.

Personally I'd rather take the DoF - two years of Conte then back to Levy pulling the strings? How does that move the club forward? Conte has about as much chance of winning a trophy at Spurs as the last five managers, especially as Chelsea, City and Utd are all strengthening.

Levy has failed on the pitch, repeating that failure by not appointing a DoF would IMO be far worse than missing out on Conte.

Neither Fabio or Conte will transform the club in one summer into an EPL winning squad ... that's simply way to big an ask ... so for the long term which is more likely to succeed? or can we someway, somehow convince both of them to join?

The real danger is we piss both of them off and ed up with no DoF and no Quality manager .....

Fair enough - obviously you would say the same for every manager and player we are linked with, you won't believe or pass judgement on anything until you've seen it with your own eyes ... right?

Isn't the whole point of a football chat site to have opinions and make wild judgements ... you may be right you may be wrong the fun is in having the discussion, even if it's mostly guesswork.

Wonder what Conte is thinking, he probably wasn't expecting the club to pull out.

Rejected by Real Madrid and Tottenham in the same window.

Not sure when a big opportunity will come up for him, he's burned his bridges in Italy. Bayern prefer German managers and all of the other big clubs in this country have settled managers, United won't get rid of OGS.

PSG is probably the only opportunity, but the players there won't stand for Conte's shit. Neymar will not be training like a dog, he's too cultured for that. Conte's questionable record in Europe must put them off too. They are also pretty keen to hold onto Poch atm.

Conte is definitely not Barcelona's kind of manager and Atletico have Simeoene.

He’s likely to take a year out and spend it lazing around on a yacht in the Mediterranean Sea not giving a single fuck what any of those clubs are up to. The ball is in Contes court and he knows it. They will come calling when they need him.

Pages and pages demanding - rightly - that Levy stops interfering and appoints a DoF

So negotiations take place with Fabio Paratici, one of the most respected DoF's in the game, for him to join Spurs as our Sporting Director ... this would hopefully bring much needed oversight and long term planning to our playing staff and academy.

Then out of left field comes the option to appoint Conte, a big time proven winning manager one of the highest profile in the game, but also a total control freak.

So here's the dilemma: Conte wants full control of the transfer budget and squad selection, he's all about the short term and winning something .... that puts him in direct opposition to Fabio who is all about long term when it comes to recruitment and contracts.

So what do you want? After months and months of demanding a DoF should that plan now be binned and instead we leap in with yet another here today gone tomorrow manager?

Should we stick with a DoF and tell Conte to go feck himself?

Or should we try and appoint both and hope to high heaven the wheels don't come off in six months?

Come on backseat CEO's you have all the answers ... so what would you do?

and for the morons who will press disagree without the ability to comment - you sad fecks.
If they weren’t going to get along and Paratici was the original long term target, then we shouldn’t have even tried to get Conte.

If the goal was to bring in a DoF to begin a long term project to rebuild the team and be a key member in the manager selection, we shouldn’t have approached Conte.

If the decisions and control around transfers were to always be in the hands of your new DoF and knew this would be in opposition to how Conte acts, why would we have been apparently negotiating with him for almost a week?

If Conte wasn’t a fit, fine. We would be further along and not publicly embarrassed if Levy didn’t have his head turned so easily, and ruled ourselves out of a manager that was never going to be a fit from the beginning. For me, the problem isn’t that Conte isn’t coming, it’s that Levy wasted time, screwed up the process, probably turned off other candidates, showed our full dysfunction off once again to the world, and did all of it for no apparently good reason if Conte wasn’t an obvious potential fit from the start.

If they weren’t going to get along and Paratici was the original long term target, then we shouldn’t have even tried to get Conte.

If the goal was to bring in a DoF to begin a long term project to rebuild the team and be a key member in the manager selection, we shouldn’t have approached Conte.

If the decisions and control around transfers were to always be in the hands of your new DoF and knew this would be in opposition to how Conte acts, why would we have been apparently negotiating with him for almost a week?

If Conte wasn’t a fit, fine. We would be further along and not publicly embarrassed if Levy didn’t have his head turned so easily, and ruled ourselves out of a manager that was never going to be a fit from the beginning. For me, the problem isn’t that Conte isn’t coming, it’s that Levy wasted time, screwed up the process, probably turned off other candidates, showed our full dysfunction off once again to the world, and did all of it for no apparently good reason if Conte wasn’t an obvious potential fit from the start.
You make a very good point, my first though when Conte was linked was - how is that going to work of we have a new DoF?

Maybe Conte will be a two year win a trophy at all costs project, given the hands on control he demands, whilst Fabio gets his feet under the table and plans for when Conte inevitably moves on?

Maybe Levy just saw Conte as a quick win with the fans after the ESL screw up?

Maybe Conte was tempted by 15m for two years, he has burnt a lot of bridges elsewhere?

But as you say unless somehow Levy gets them both to sign it does seem like yet another bugger's muddle.

Totally agree a DoF has been missing for years not just last season ...

We've been chasing Fabio for months when he made it clear he was willing to leave Turin. Very much doubt he would come as a Levy puppet he's had eleven years with Juve under Agnelli who's even more dodgy then Levy.

Fabio did of course work with Conte at Juventus where Conte eventually resigned claiming lack of support .... that seems a stretch as Juve went on to win the league for the next six years.

I have no 'inside' knowledge on what is being negotiated, however it would seem pretty obvious that getting both Conte and Fabio on the same page is a big challenge for any CEO, maybe an impossible one.

Personally I'd rather take the DoF - two years of Conte then back to Levy pulling the strings? How does that move the club forward? Conte has about as much chance of winning a trophy at Spurs as the last five managers, especially as Chelsea, City and Utd are all strengthening.

Levy has failed on the pitch, repeating that failure by not appointing a DoF would IMO be far worse than missing out on Conte.

Neither Fabio or Conte will transform the club in one summer into an EPL winning squad ... that's simply way to big an ask ... so for the long term which is more likely to succeed? or can we someway, somehow convince both of them to join?

The real danger is we piss both of them off and ed up with no DoF and no Quality manager .....

I have a hard time thinking that he won't be a puppet of Levy if we just missed out on Conte because of 3m, reasonable staff requests and Levy not being nearly ambitious enough. To me that clearly shows that we are not changing our ways and that Levy sees Paratici as a guy who will work under his shitty system.

If Paratici saw what happened to Conte and he thinks he will have any say or any money to work with then we are worse off than I thought, and that is already a pretty low bar.

Going with a puppet DOF like Paratici and a shitty manager is certainly much worse than brining in Conte and that looks what our plan is now.

We currently have no quality DOF or quality manager so not sure the danger has been avoided.

Up until a week ago, Conte had 3 votes on this poll. 3!

And now your all pissed it's looking doubtful?

Fans didn't want him because his reluctance to built youth and his demanding and controlling style. So if Levy has rejected on this basis, he has done exactly what you wanted!!!

Climbing the football ladder can't be done quickly. It takes time. Be patient and enjoy the football. Its much more fun being the underdog.

Back
Top Bottom