Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.

I hope there is a "To Dare Is Too Dear" movement next season.
My seat has a glass pane in front. I'm inclined to hang something on it.
Yeah I just read that piece as well, and it's not as if half of us in the forum have been saying that for years.

I myself have said there's not point in having a world class squad, training facility, and stadium in one of the most desirable cities in the world if you have to work for some cheap asshole.

First of all - I always find amusing how grown people cannot cope with others disagreeing with them :D I receive "disagree" reactions once in a while, but that's life. Only extremely rare there is something I'd like to ask over...

Second of all - it was not the case that you stated "Joe Lewis is a billionaire" and I disagreed with that. Not nearly the case. I disagreed with what followed.
"He can spare some especially as the stadium will earn it back in a heartbeat." - you do understand some basics from economy, don't you? About business and investments?
I mean that once upon a time he made investment into Tottenham Hotspur. He is a business man and in the future he most likely wants to sell it for higher value that was purchase price. It is a project that is run by team he has picked (in this case lead by Levy).
I constantly see some BS about how "Levy pumps money out of club", how "Spurs is operated to take out cash" etc. But I never see any explanation. When I call people out that they would explain and prove how money is withdrawn then the discussion stops there.
Now I could see the silence when Lewis would inject some money into Spurs. And that MONUMENTAL uproar that would follow if he would reclaim the same sum. But I am getting getting bit off-topic with that description.

To keep it from getting extremely long, I had two issues with the statement -
1) Building new stadium and additional earning power will have to first cover servicing the debt that was taken to build the stadium. Following that it should increase our financial muscle in terms of us being able to pay good wages for good players (once we have them). If we'd follow your model, he would lend money to club and it would be paid back to owner from the stadium earnings, it would very much defeat it's initial purpose and would hamper our long-term competitiveness, not improve it.
2) It has not been an issue about lack of resources over past years - it has been shockingly poorly spent (not invested) - across past 2 seasons we have invested ~275 mil EUR to players with very poor return. We need to use current money better not to pour in new money. Otherwise he can put in a billion (which would be 25% of his estimated worth) and we still would not improve. And following 1) then we'd have to pay all the additional income from stadium to settle the money injection that we have spent on poor player recruitment. And that would be really stupid in long term sense.
Very good post, I'm thankful to ENIC and Levy for his progress since they took over, I have been a supporter of his since day 1. Lately though I have become disillusioned with the clubs direction, the thing Levy is trying to do is build a self sustaining super club with no "capital injection" like City and Chelsea have had. While I was on board with his project, sadly I am of the thought its an impossible task. No matter how much cash a club makes you still need more now, and you need people who know football to be successful, sadly I still don't think Levy gets the sport and to be successful you need to take a risk.

Its so fucking sadly ironic our motto is "To Dare is to Do"

Last edited:
Yeah I just read that piece as well, and it's not as if half of us in the forum have been saying that for years.

I myself have said there's not point in having a world class squad, training facility, and stadium in one of the most desirable cities in the world if you have to work for some cheap asshole.

Levy has been playing games for the entirety of his service.
The little dance we did with going after Rivaldo was very early in his time and it's continued year after year. How many deals did we spend weeks, months, even years on only to hit stumbling blocks like 3rd party ownership? Even mug fans know it's a thing, so how does a multimillionaire in charge of a multibillion pound business not know?

It's because he DOES know. He goes after unattainable targets to stir up the media and fans into a frenzy but he KNOWS he won't have to go through with it.
There was so much hype last week about where we'll be with Conte. There's talk about Woolwich and Chelsea shitting themselves, us in the top 4 and even the title.

And now, after the season tickets renewed, conte falls through, everyone is fed up and the future looks laughably bleak.

To me the only 2 teams that should be able to fully blow us out of the water are Man United and Man City and even Man City, if forced to comply with FFP shouldn't be that far ahead.

We're an internationally followed club. We have one of the biggest kit maker deals ever, one of the biggest shirt sponsor deals ever, a money making stadium, the same share of PL TV money as everyone else.

Why are we so poor then? Is it because FFP only applies to us or is it because that cunt at the top wants the most return for the least money possible?

Very good post, I'm thankful to ENIC and Levy for his progress since they took over, I have been a supporter of his since day 1. Lately though I have become disillusioned with the clubs direction, the thing Levy is trying to do is build a self sustaining super club with no "capital injection" like City and Chelsea have had. While I was on board with his project, sadly I am of the thought its an impossible task. No matter how much cash a club makes you still need more now, and you need people who know football to be successful, sadly I still don't think Levy gets the sport and to be successful you need to take a risk.

Its so fucking sadly ironic our motto is "To Dare is to Do"
What progress?
Under Sugar we won the FA Cup and the League Cup.
Under ENIC we won one league cup in twice the time.
Other than a little forray into the CL as at today we're no better off than before they came. Just adjust it all for football inflation. We're richer but everyone else is even more so.

And JPB is a twitter rando? A bit of a difference in a respected, professional journalist and fucking hercules and trix mate.

Once again, the attitude I've seen on the pitch for the last few seasons has made this easier to believe. Our players are lazy cunts.

Talking of those two, they haven’t posted any nonsense for a few days. It must absolutely be eating them up inside. Will today be the day they make their return to bathe in the adulation. Looking forward to a good laugh if they do!

First of all - I always find amusing how grown people cannot cope with others disagreeing with them :D I receive "disagree" reactions once in a while, but that's life. Only extremely rare there is something I'd like to ask over...

Second of all - it was not the case that you stated "Joe Lewis is a billionaire" and I disagreed with that. Not nearly the case. I disagreed with what followed.
"He can spare some especially as the stadium will earn it back in a heartbeat." - you do understand some basics from economy, don't you? About business and investments?
I mean that once upon a time he made investment into Tottenham Hotspur. He is a business man and in the future he most likely wants to sell it for higher value that was purchase price. It is a project that is run by team he has picked (in this case lead by Levy).
I constantly see some BS about how "Levy pumps money out of club", how "Spurs is operated to take out cash" etc. But I never see any explanation. When I call people out that they would explain and prove how money is withdrawn then the discussion stops there.
Now I could see the silence when Lewis would inject some money into Spurs. And that MONUMENTAL uproar that would follow if he would reclaim the same sum. But I am getting getting bit off-topic with that description.

To keep it from getting extremely long, I had two issues with the statement -
1) Building new stadium and additional earning power will have to first cover servicing the debt that was taken to build the stadium. Following that it should increase our financial muscle in terms of us being able to pay good wages for good players (once we have them). If we'd follow your model, he would lend money to club and it would be paid back to owner from the stadium earnings, it would very much defeat it's initial purpose and would hamper our long-term competitiveness, not improve it.
2) It has not been an issue about lack of resources over past years - it has been shockingly poorly spent (not invested) - across past 2 seasons we have invested ~275 mil EUR to players with very poor return. We need to use current money better not to pour in new money. Otherwise he can put in a billion (which would be 25% of his estimated worth) and we still would not improve. And following 1) then we'd have to pay all the additional income from stadium to settle the money injection that we have spent on poor player recruitment. And that would be really stupid in long term sense.

Recruitment is an element but that is only part of it. Many other clubs even clubs like Liverpool that are well run buy players that don’t work out but they then sell them. What we do is buy someone, they don’t work out then they stay for years because we can’t get the price Levy wants. See Sissoko, Winks, Dier and all the rest, as such we then don’t get futher money or free wages to change things up then the squad goes stale. You won’t ever get perfect recruitment but if you are unable to even move players on is it a shock when we always end up stacked full of deadwood.

Spending was a huge issue for us. During Poch’s reign our net spend was close to zero, but the last two years we have spent net combined around just under £200m so that is improving but there is little point getting the likes of Conte or Jose spending around £100m a season when our rivals might hit 200-300m.

We need a plan and it’s clear we don’t have one, we go from project managers like Poch to quick fixes like Jose and back again. Uncle Joe however could help, he doesn’t have to give us free money but while Covid is on a bit of cash banked against future income flows from the stadium would be nice, he could even earn some interest. If we are getting Conte he will want elite players coming in and I don’t see that happening unless we get some support.

if we don’t want to spend heavy then just accept we need a project manager, get Ten Hag or someone. Your right we are spending more now but there is more to it than transfers, there is wages and above all for us there is taking a hit on a failed players and selling them below what we would like to make room for new players.

It’s a complex picture but if we do decide to go back down the Conte route, we would be wise to sell players to make space even if they are below what we would want and if needed borrow a bit from Joe Lewis till the stadium comes back on line fully. You don’t go for Conte without a big plan and a half decent wallet unless you want a huge meltdown.

below is our spending over the last 5-10 according to TransferMarket.

u already know the players in that article winks and sissoko no doubt. soft spine in this team means we end up with a martinez or southgate

It will be Martinez, you can see it a mile off. At least it will make me a few quid if it is. Is he really that bad though? I honestly can’t remember his Everton team. All I can remember is us playing his Wigan team and spanking them 9 1. We then lost the following two home games to them 1 nil. So at least he did something right from his perspective at the time.

People keep quoting our transfer spend in a positive light lately.

A good example of our real world spending.

Sissoko
Kante
Wjinaldum

All cost roughly the same. We got the shittest one because he was likely the lowest paid.

NDombele
Fernando's
Mahrez

All cost roughly the same but no doubt TND is the least well paid.

Won't even get into City buying £60m Ruben Dias, who we needed, and us spending £18m on Rodon and not playing him.
Or £40m on Sanchez when better English players were available that would have helped our selection problems.

Last edited:
It will be Martinez, you can see it a mile off. At least it will make me a few quid if it is. Is he really that bad though? I honestly can’t remember his Everton team. All I can remember is us playing his Wigan team and spanking them 9 1. We then lost the following two home games to them 1 nil. So at least he did something right from his perspective at the time.
What makes me laugh is the same people who are so against the idea of Martinez, are the people backing Belgium to win the Euros!

People keep quoting out transfer spend in a positive light lately.

Sissoko
Kante
Wjinaldum

All cost roughly the same. We got the shittest one because he was likely the lowest paid.

NDombele
Fernando's
Mahrez

Won't even get into City buying £60m Ruben Dias, who we needed, and us spending £18m on Rodon and not playing him.
Or £40m on Sanchez when better English players were available that would have helped our selection problems.

Wages are a big element, you can buy a player for a lot of money but to access elite players you often need elite wages. You see the headline £40m spent but the wages often cost more than the transfer over the life of the contract.

What progress?
Under Sugar we won the FA Cup and the League Cup.
Under ENIC we won one league cup in twice the time.
Other than a little forray into the CL as at today we're no better off than before they came. Just adjust it all for football inflation. We're richer but everyone else is even more so.
We are a much bigger club now than then, we have much better facilities.

People keep quoting out transfer spend in a positive light lately.

Sissoko
Kante
Wjinaldum

NDombele
Fernando's
Mahrez

Yeah reluctance to pay wages is a big part of our problems. I believe Poch wanted both Mane and Wijnaldum in the Summer of 2016 after we finished 3rd and were heading into the Champions League.

They both ended up signing for a Liverpool side who finished in 8th.

Levy is so scared to gamble and scared of not being able to make his money back on players that he is costing the club money in the long term. In fact gamble isn't even the word as there should be people at the club saying "You need to pay them the wages because they are world class".

The same man makes sure that his own salary is ridiculously high (highest in the league for a chairman?) and that he treats himself to huge bonuses.

Really thinking it will be Martinez now as well but yes it is that bad. Last 2 seasons at Everton were abysmal, he cant organise a defence to save his life (105 goals conceded in his last 2 seasons). He currently has some of the best players in the world, favourites for the last world cup and its just about ok, nothing else. It will have a large proportion of our fans against him from the off (wrongly imo, not his fault if appointed). Some managers fit certain clubs but i don't see anything better than 6th or 7th with him in charge, quite possibly worse.

Really thinking it will be Martinez now as well but yes it is that bad. Last 2 seasons at Everton were abysmal, he cant organise a defence to save his life (105 goals conceded in his last 2 seasons). He currently has some of the best players in the world, favourites for the last world cup and its just about ok, nothing else. It will have a large proportion of our fans against him from the off (wrongly imo, not his fault if appointed). Some managers fit certain clubs but i don't see anything better than 6th or 7th with him in charge, quite possibly worse.

Got nice shoes though.

His Everton team had one good season when they acquired Lukaku & Barry, they finished 5th but were mid table ever since until he departed.

Back
Top Bottom