Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Because modern football doesn't operate like that.

Zidane didn't pick his players at Madrid. Poch is not picking his players in Paris. Klopp and Guardiola are not picking their players at their clubs either.

Scouting and recruitment has moved past the era of the manager being heavily involved. All well run clubs have sporting directors that make sure that the manager has what they need these days. Not necessarily who they want, but what they need.

Name me a Sporting director that panned out at Spurs. When we started this bizarre fetishization of Sporting directors many many moons ago somebody else gave me the same patter about it being the "modern way" and a load of bullshit about how a Sporting director lends a long term vision to the club, while a manager is only a temporary fixture. I bought that, then Frank Arneson got poached by Chelsea proving that to be utter bollox.
Then there was the failed Damian Commoli chapter.

Sporting directors are as temporary as managers, its another large wage and another layer of input.

Its basically a middle man job that some cunt chairman came up with so they wouldn't have to listen to the manager.

Not everything modern is good, that's a facile argument.

This may or may not be true, it is, however an easy story to write.

Yesterday's Marca ran a piece cribbed from The Times I think saying that Madrid moved on from Conte because ten players had said they would leave if he was appointed.

No names there or here of course. I could knock out a story in ten minutes or so exclusively revealing how Barcelona only agreed to keep Koeman on because of a dressing room revolt involving a number of senior players, couching it all in terms like "allegedly" and "sources have hinted" and so on. Not a word would be true, no news from inside Camp Nou ever reaches me in the Madrid sierra, obviously, but that would hardly matter...

Or you could open your eyes and see that it is clear as day that our lazy players wouldn't have been interested in Conte.
I believe official statements not the deluded meanderings of Twitter randos. Why would you believe them. They're no more in the knownthan you are....look at all the grief on here that we have given SC members for claiming to be itk when they're in fact cunts making shit up, looking for donations.
Open YOUR eyes mate.

Yesterday's Marca ran a piece cribbed from The Times I think saying that Madrid moved on from Conte because ten players had said they would leave if he was appointed.

No names there or here of course. I could knock out a story in ten minutes or so exclusively revealing how Barcelona only agreed to keep Koeman on because of a dressing room revolt involving a number of senior players, couching it all in terms like "allegedly" and "sources have hinted" and so on. Not a word would be true, no news from inside Camp Nou ever reaches me in the Madrid sierra, obviously, but that would hardly matter...
Setting aside that this is all probably just paper talk it does illustrate that players have far too much power in the modern game.

I believe official statements not the deluded meanderings of Twitter randos. Why would you believe them. They're no more in the knownthan you are....look at all the grief on here that we have given SC members for claiming to be itk when they're in fact cunts making shit up, looking for donations.
Open YOUR eyes mate.

And JPB is a twitter rando? A bit of a difference in a respected, professional journalist and fucking hercules and trix mate.

Once again, the attitude I've seen on the pitch for the last few seasons has made this easier to believe. Our players are lazy cunts.

Why set it aside. It's all designed to get clicks and make money from links and ads therefore it isn't news, merely speculation and rumours.
It's The Athletic. They don't need clicks and ads because they operate on subscriptions. Not to mention that they're one of the most reliable sources out there.

And JPB is a twitter rando? A bit of a difference in a respected, professional journalist and fucking hercules and trix mate.

Once again, the attitude I've seen on the pitch for the last few seasons has made this easier to believe. Our players are lazy cunts.
Some have been sure.
Manager was shite too and poor in many areas.
I don't understand how some.managers and players make things so complicated. At least the season is over...euros next and world cup next year!

Don't know much about Paratici beyond as Sporting director he oversaw some trophies at Juventus, his other "accolades" in the game including signing Ronaldo, Khedira, Rabiot and Aaron Ramsey to name but a few.

Hardly exciting, still don't know why Levy has such a hardon for Sporting Directors rather than just appointing a top drawer manager and letting him buy the players he wants for a fucking change, rather than trying to incorporate a load of shit that he didn't want which is our usual format.

We've been here before with Arneson and Damien Commoli.

So forgive me if I don't get excited about this appointment, I would say it would be good to get Levy out of the football side of things but we all know he will still be signing the checks and setting the budget.

Meanwhile, still no manager and no ongoing rebuild. Even sides like Villa are making strides in the transfer window, we are going to slip further and further behind.

he also signed (plucked from SC):

Paul Pogba at 19 Free transfer
Paulo Dybala at 21
Kingsley Coman at 18 Free transfer
Arturo Vidal at 24
Weston Mckennie at 22
Dejan Kulusevski at 21
Matthijs de Ligt at 19
Merih Demiral 21
Nicollo Rovella at 19
Cristian Romero at 21
Mario Lemina at 21
Daniele Rugani at 20
Domenico Berardi at 19
Ciro Immobile at 23
Rodrigo Bentancur at 20
Joao Cancelo at 24
Bernadeshi at 23

It's The Athletic. They don't need clicks and ads because they operate on subscriptions. Not to mention that they're one of the most reliable sources out there.
But not an official source. Subscriptions need juicy gossip and stories too though. I just don't believe 'sources' if we believe every source we'd have the best players and manager in the world!

Open YOUR eyes mate.
Yeah anyone can just start speculating and occasionally get something right.

'Talks with Conte not completely over, so spurs players shitting themselves, apart from Kane and Son who actually work hard for the team already'.

Tier 4 me recent addition to the BS brigade.

I hope every last one of our squad is shitting their fucking pants quite frankly.

Conte or not, after the last couple of years of bottling everything, they should be very concerned they won't play for the club again.

At this stage, just for the sheer brutality, we could get Roy Keane in for a year.
Basically a rabid animal that, unlike most people, won't rest on sentiment. Dogshit like winks and Dier will be told they're dogshit and to find new clubs.

Unfortunately, we'll end up with some nicely spoken yes man pleb who will spend 18-24 months trying to improve the dog shit and then get sacked because dog shit will always be dog shit.

enhance nic cage GIF

Lol

6 weeks ago they didn’t like how basic and non-taxing Mourinho’s sessions were compared to Poch, now they get wind of a tough trainer coming and they don’t like it.

To achieve success on the pitch they should all be ready to sweat their bollocks off every single day, that is why we pay them thousands of pounds a week. Any player who doesn’t want to work can leave.

Hilarious that you talk about the "order" of things. The first 40 days of our manager search were headed by Hitchen (not a DOF but the closest thing to it we had). Then, Levy goes behind his back to try and get a different manager and he also hires a different DOF.

If the club were behaving in an "orderly" manner then why let Hitchen run the manager search for 40 days? If the DOF was the "big hold up" then why were the Levy/Hitchen duo courting managers?

You also act like we can just wait around and then our rivals aren't doing anything. Some of the better young prospects in Europe have already moved or are soon to be moved. We're missing out on good players because we messed around for over a month and a half and STILL have nothing to show for it.

It's also not like the moment a manager comes in he, the DOF, ownership, etc. are all on the same page. These are massive investments and take time to plan, analyze and enact.

It's already a shambles and it's amazing there are still some people that are OK with it.
I understand where you're coming from but unless you are on the inside how do you know any of that to be fact rather than just press speculation?

Tottenham in the last few years have managed to keep tons of stuff under wraps. How do you know they didn't have their eye on, and courted the new DOF knowing his contract was coming to an end?

Also agents are very well aware of what clubs are likely in the market, clubs will also be sounding players out. I expect lots of European players are involved in the Euros and will not entertain discussions until the are out.

C'mon, consider the human element. How would you feel losing your job in the middle of a pandemic. Many of our staff have been there 10 years +
That’s not what I propose, the idea I like is we create secondary posts, I’m calling them shadow secondment as Conte (for example) wants his guy, it should lead to a meshing of ideas, to better both employees.

It’s not ideal, but I have little faith in our conditioning team, or medics TBH = prime example Dier, appendicitis, known to slow recovery, yet they try to play him every 3-4days and wonder why first game, pretty good, next like he has brain fog….

Given there is a two year cycle to Conte, 3 overlapping staff would cost £2m max.

Stinks to me of a handy excuse.

TheSpurEst disagreeing to a known fact? Good one. Joe Lewis is a multi billionaire.

First of all - I always find amusing how grown people cannot cope with others disagreeing with them :D I receive "disagree" reactions once in a while, but that's life. Only extremely rare there is something I'd like to ask over...

Second of all - it was not the case that you stated "Joe Lewis is a billionaire" and I disagreed with that. Not nearly the case. I disagreed with what followed.
"He can spare some especially as the stadium will earn it back in a heartbeat." - you do understand some basics from economy, don't you? About business and investments?
I mean that once upon a time he made investment into Tottenham Hotspur. He is a business man and in the future he most likely wants to sell it for higher value that was purchase price. It is a project that is run by team he has picked (in this case lead by Levy).
I constantly see some BS about how "Levy pumps money out of club", how "Spurs is operated to take out cash" etc. But I never see any explanation. When I call people out that they would explain and prove how money is withdrawn then the discussion stops there.
Now I could see the silence when Lewis would inject some money into Spurs. And that MONUMENTAL uproar that would follow if he would reclaim the same sum. But I am getting getting bit off-topic with that description.

To keep it from getting extremely long, I had two issues with the statement -
1) Building new stadium and additional earning power will have to first cover servicing the debt that was taken to build the stadium. Following that it should increase our financial muscle in terms of us being able to pay good wages for good players (once we have them). If we'd follow your model, he would lend money to club and it would be paid back to owner from the stadium earnings, it would very much defeat it's initial purpose and would hamper our long-term competitiveness, not improve it.
2) It has not been an issue about lack of resources over past years - it has been shockingly poorly spent (not invested) - across past 2 seasons we have invested ~275 mil EUR to players with very poor return. We need to use current money better not to pour in new money. Otherwise he can put in a billion (which would be 25% of his estimated worth) and we still would not improve. And following 1) then we'd have to pay all the additional income from stadium to settle the money injection that we have spent on poor player recruitment. And that would be really stupid in long term sense.

that's the thing though, some people on here are turning insane, they've taken the snippets of made up crap, have pieced it together as if it's fact. Surely until we're at the end of this saga we can't claim anything?

I, of course am concerned but how in the fuck does ANYONE know what is going on behind closed doors and what the ACTUAL plan is? Except those in the club?

Agents will release BS about clients (players and managers) to help them negotiate with other clubs, using us, even though we're not connected. We're not going to constantly deny this – it's pointless

Press will assume and make up stuff "apparently, sources said, someone close"...

Everyone reads, believes and implodes.

First of all - I always find amusing how grown people cannot cope with others disagreeing with them :D I receive "disagree" reactions once in a while, but that's life. Only extremely rare there is something I'd like to ask over...

Second of all - it was not the case that you stated "Joe Lewis is a billionaire" and I disagreed with that. Not nearly the case. I disagreed with what followed.
"He can spare some especially as the stadium will earn it back in a heartbeat." - you do understand some basics from economy, don't you? About business and investments?
I mean that once upon a time he made investment into Tottenham Hotspur. He is a business man and in the future he most likely wants to sell it for higher value that was purchase price. It is a project that is run by team he has picked (in this case lead by Levy).
I constantly see some BS about how "Levy pumps money out of club", how "Spurs is operated to take out cash" etc. But I never see any explanation. When I call people out that they would explain and prove how money is withdrawn then the discussion stops there.
Now I could see the silence when Lewis would inject some money into Spurs. And that MONUMENTAL uproar that would follow if he would reclaim the same sum. But I am getting getting bit off-topic with that description.

To keep it from getting extremely long, I had two issues with the statement -
1) Building new stadium and additional earning power will have to first cover servicing the debt that was taken to build the stadium. Following that it should increase our financial muscle in terms of us being able to pay good wages for good players (once we have them). If we'd follow your model, he would lend money to club and it would be paid back to owner from the stadium earnings, it would very much defeat it's initial purpose and would hamper our long-term competitiveness, not improve it.
2) It has not been an issue about lack of resources over past years - it has been shockingly poorly spent (not invested) - across past 2 seasons we have invested ~275 mil EUR to players with very poor return. We need to use current money better not to pour in new money. Otherwise he can put in a billion (which would be 25% of his estimated worth) and we still would not improve. And following 1) then we'd have to pay all the additional income from stadium to settle the money injection that we have spent on poor player recruitment. And that would be really stupid in long term sense.
First of all. I can cope with disagrees to what I write. I just found it peculiar that you disagreed with a fact. Joe Lewis is a billionaire. He can easily out some cash in and speculate to accumulate. It's a simple concept right? Better players usually means better performances in cups and competitions which is more prize money and more people wanting to sponsor you for higher prices. I'm no financial whizzkid but that's the basics.

Back
Top Bottom