Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Yo

Levy will be still be telling managers that they have to use Dier, Winks and Sissoko until the death of the universe.
Up to the DOF and coach to tell him to fuck off
Levy is in a very weak position and they probably know it

I have zero reason to think that it wasn't in large part do to him or that he would do any better coming to a similar situation with us.
So what are you saying here - that you don't know or don't care to know? Was our decline at the end under Poch in large part to do with him or failings on the Clubs part?

So what are you saying here - that you don't know or don't care to know? Was our decline at the end under Poch in large part to do with him or failings on the Clubs part?

I am saying that there is lots of evidence that it had to do with Fonseca and his poor set up and managerial decisions.

We don't have all the facts of what went on behind the scenes and maybe Fonseca was some how the victim of some terrible conspiracy against him that made him look bad, although odd that the same thing must have happened at Porto with him as well.

All we have to go on is what is right in front of us and that is that he wasn't close to good enough. There is no reason to start trying to come up with excuses for him with no evidence or reason behind it.

I would also say that there is no way we should be getting a manager when we have to think that maybe his poor performances we due to a shit situation. We are a big enough club that we can get a manager in which there is no doubt about his ability, in which his results speak for themselves. The fact that we have to debate about maybe his poor results weren't all his fault should immediately exclude him from the hiring process. We should have much higher standards.

Edit:

As for Poch the failings at the end of his reign were clearly due to the club. We had seen he could get great results, Fonseca never showed that he could get those results at Roma. He was always getting worse results than those who were there before him.

When did Levy ever give a fuck about the fans?
He may not always show it, but deep down I know he loves me.

giphy.gif

Way too much negatively about the possible hire. His former players speak highly of him, people within the game think he has potential and is still developing as a manager but a lot of people on this forum like to act like they know better because they looked at the Serie A standings.

Reality check people, we are not attractive enough right now for the biggest players or managers. We need to take a chance with someone and hope he builds is back up.

Let's just support the new manager and see how it goes. It's not his fault Levy and ENIC put us in this position.
You referred to this?

Many of which are piece of random interview and get polished to sound as positive.

"Claudio Ranieri on his successor at Roma

"It seems to me that Fonseca is doing a good job, he is a very intelligent coach who has understood the difficulties of the team and now they take fewer filter balls.

"His philosophy is coming through, from what I read the players are happy so I think it was a positive choice and I'm convinced that AS Roma will have a very good season.""

That very good season didn't happen.

"Aleksandar Kolarov on the Portuguese

"What do I like about Fonseca? His idea of football, how he interprets the game, how he explains how we should play and his determination.""

Yet he left to join Inter. If he's buying the plan, why did he leave?

"Roma midfielder Lorenzo Pellegrini who at 24 was often captain under Fonseca

"Balance sheets are drawn up at the end, Roma haven't dropped out of the Europa League yet, even if it will be difficult to overturn it in the return leg [against Manchester United].

"We'll have to wait until next Thursday to take stock. The coach has made, or rather is making, a path thanks to which Roma is improving day by day. He'll get some criticism, as we did, after a performance like that and it's only right that he should.""

With context, it's just a damage control act after getting spanked by Man U. How is it anything even considered positive?

It's similar theme throughout: Players doing the damage control in the public. Players saying nice thing because they're in their comfortable zone with nothing to lose. Players/managers being diplomatic but their action/how reality had played out, speak otherwise...

That is a thread full of some terrible points.

I would say that he has to focus on accomplishments at tiny clubs and lower leagues and ignore the time he spent at clubs closer to our size is a good example of why we should not want him here.

how many more 5 yr projects do we need, its an excuse every time and im tired of it. its not fair on the fans
We just tried a 1 year project and failed miserably. Probably set ourselves back years. 5 year projects are more sustainable and have a higher likelihood of success for any club like us that isn’t a bottomless money pit.

All looks good but at end of the day he was a failure at both Roma and Porto. A complete non entity

I don’t care if someone plays 4-4-2 as long as they get results and get the players disciplined and 100% effort

Alarm bells at this....

"His flaws are his in-game management, and his indifference towards defence."

Unless you like awful subbing decisions and loads of goals I guess...

Alarm bells at this....

"His flaws are his in-game management, and his indifference towards defence."

Unless you like awful subbing decisions and loads of goals I guess...
Imagine having the defenders we have, not being too keen on spending and hiring a manager that usually concedes a shit ton of goals every season. We totally lost the plot.

Back
Top Bottom