Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
No dignity and is a reflection on us already....not professional at all.

That seems like a massive stretch.

No dignity?

It was something he did to try and have some fun. He didn't wear it to a funeral or mock anyone. You may not like it but it was far from showing he had no dignity or unprofessional.

An Appreciation for Paulo Fonseca’s Time With Roma This is a good read by Roma fans. It's interesting to me that they still seem to think he has potential, despite his poor fit. In fact they raise our name - and this was written back in May 24, well before he was linked to us - out of the blue a few times which surprised me:

JonAS: I can totally see Fonseca coaching Tottenham or Dortmund and winning a title or reaching the CL final. He has talent and football IQ, otherwise, he wouldn’t be here in the first place. But it was just a bad marriage overall. Wrong man, wrong place, wrong time.
Jimmy Miotto: He’s Luis Enrique 2.0, plain and simple. A manager who just didn’t find success in Rome, but not because of anything particularly related to him or his tactics. I definitely think Paulo will end up in the Prem, and with the right moves, I could see him winning a title with a post-Harry Kane Tottenham.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is being chosen for all the wrong reasons - won't complain when handed a miniscule budget, cheap salary, will attempt to work with the deadwood - but for that Levy / ENIC / the DOF (if it really is Paratici making the calls here, though I've been reading conflicting reports that it's much more Levy) who should be blamed. This guy shouldn't be called a clown before he has actually managed a few games. He has never been in this league before and I would take that over someone who is proven in this league and failed (*cough* Martinez *cough*).

The main problem is I think is the symbolism. I don't think he was chosen on the basis of genuinely being the best fit for those goals we outlined - developing the kids, playing attractive football, getting us back to competing for things. His appointment just screams that we have no money and want a nice guy who will make do with no Kane and negative transfer spend while playing decent if midtable-ish football. Maybe someone who can tide us over for a year until we get normal funds again post-COVID (it's a lot cheaper to fire him than a Conte type!). I hope i'm very wrong here and we back him with an full-on rebuild in the transfer window regardless, but it just doesn't bode well. (And again, for that Levy and co should be blamed - doesn't matter who the manager is, I don't care if they're Conte or Potter... if they're not backed, they're doomed here.)

That seems like a massive stretch.

No dignity?

It was something he did to try and have some fun. He didn't wear it to a funeral or mock anyone. You may not like it but it was far from showing he had no dignity or unprofessional.
I mean, imagine Alex Ferguson wearing that. Or Southgate next week, or klopp or teuchel or Wenger. I cannot picture ANY top class manager doing such a ridiculous thing.
Does not fill me with confidence.

if we got this guy as the clear intention being number 1 i wouldnt of minded and he wouldve bedded in his ideas but the fact we waited 6 weeks or more, talking to conte poch and ten hag makes this look desperate because all said no. the thing is none of those would want to rebuild they want us to win so knowing that next season doesnt bode well at all its like yep europe and perhaps a quarter final in a cup. its the fact that knowing our gutluss chairman has no ambition at all is the reason why im annoyed.

I mean, imagine Alex Ferguson wearing that. Or Southgate next week, or klopp or teuchel or Wenger. I cannot picture ANY top class manager doing such a ridiculous thing.

Who cares if they wouldn't do that.

I can't imagine Ferguson jumping around like Poch did with tears in his eyes in Amsterdam doesn't mean Poch is crap, Different guys do things different ways.

Maybe if he showed up each week in a costume it might be weird but once, or a few times at a specific press conference seems like no big deal at all.

Who cares if they wouldn't do that.

I can't imagine Ferguson jumping around like Poch did with tears in his eyes in Amsterdam doesn't mean Poch is crap, Different guys do things different ways.

Maybe if he showed up each week in a costume it might be weird but once, or a few times at a specific press conference seems like no big deal at all.
I've seen Ferguson jumping on the pitch and celebrating and that passion and celebration is awesome.
Dressing up as Zorro at a press conference is weak. Really feeble and I don't see how you don't see that it is laughable. Making us more or a laughing stock than ever.

Seriously, who cares?

He made a promise to his team that if they won and advanced to the CL round of 16 that he would do it (they were in a group with Man City and Napoli).

Let’s wait and see how it pans out if this is our fate. Ultimately I think levy and co will be aware that if this does go badly wrong and we’re in the bottom half at Christmas there will be serious unrest towards the owners of this club.

someone made a good point on here about it seeming like we are setting up in a way where the new DOF will have more say on ins and outs and vision for the club and this guy is the head coach only. And who knows what the thinking behind the appointment really is. Yes it looks like a yes man type appointment that can work on a shoestring but you never know, it could work out great and we might be playing some proper football for a change next season. I will say this, it’s a brave appointment in some ways. Levy knows the fans are at a low and fed up with them yet we’re going for a guy with a pretty average CV and no experience of the PL. As I say “brave” in the sense that if comes crumbling down as some are thinking it will, his position is going be under very intense scrutiny

I've seen Ferguson jumping on the pitch and celebrating and that passion and celebration is awesome.
Dressing up as Zorro at a press conference is weak. Really feeble and I don't see how you don't see that it is laughable. Making us more or a laughing stock than ever.

I don't see it as weak because it isn't. It doesn't make us a laughing stock.

He fucking did it once and it was fun. It is ridiculous how big a deal you are trying to make out of this nothing burger at all.

I actually now hope he shows up in his introductory press conference in a Zorro costume now.

Well Fonseca, Fonzarelli or F (ph) oney, it's a big job in terms of club size and in seeking to bringing us back to the top table . In fact even with dinned expectation we still will want nore than we are likely to get.

We are managerless, still, devoid of unity, best player wanting to leave and effectively pleading to be bought and no sign of new players incoming or wanting to come, and how could or would you when you don't even know who your manager will be.

Its been worse but I am struggling at this precise moment to know when.

Unreal.

Well Fonseca, Fonzarelli or F (ph) oney, it's a big job in terms of club size and in seeking to bringing us back to the top table
It's not the goal, that's why Conte said no. We're gonna get a slow rebuild, build bunch of kids and hope for them to blossom, like it happened with Poch. Then hopefully we gonna inject the money and cover the remaining positions with top players. At least that's in Levy's mind I think.

Back
Top Bottom