Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Challenge will be someone affording him? I wonder why :levystare:

Sell him abroad for 5-10 mill, free up the wages, and let's move on. Toby has been a top signing, gave good service.
Wages Id imagine, cant see us looking for huge money for him.

He's over his peak now, IMO, and I would imagine over this season he would end up being phased out - so probably not the worst time to move on

Challenge will be someone affording him? I wonder why :levystare:

Sell him abroad for 5-10 mill, free up the wages, and let's move on. Toby has been a top signing, gave good service.
The issue is his wages! Two years left on his contract, which he only signed when the dinosaur rocked up (when he was then free to leave the Club!!).

We will now see how good Paratici is, I think Toby still has years left in him, just not in the PL. I think Paratici's Italian links might work wonders here as I can see him more suited to Serie A. In addition, let's not forget that in Italy they only pay 10% tax for high earning footballers!!!

I love Toby but in the 6yrs he's been at the Club it was only his first 3yrs where he was truly exceptional. In his 4th season, he was injured and we didn't miss him, largely because Sanchez actually had a good season. But his drawn-out contract saga became a massive distraction, fans urging us to "get it done" whilst not recognising that his performances were declining. Should never have offered him a new deal, but then with the dinosaur in charge, he would have probably replaced him with Phill Jones on £200k per week!!

But it's encouraging hearing this news rather than hearing the likes of Dier or Sanchez leaving (unless it was for big money), people on here will disagree though, because they've spent the last two years as Mourinho puppets slatting both of these CB's whilst the dinosaur feeds them to the wolves and they lapped it up, spewing all the hatred under the sun at them when that should have been targeted at the cunt managing them as he tried to deflect blame away from himself.

Basically of all the CB's we need to shift it's Toby first. He doesn't make our defence better and his value diminishes every single day. (Nuno, WILL increase the value of all our other CB's).

How the hell does Antwerp expect to pay his wages?
They won't unless Toby's dream to play for his hometown club means he will accept a lower wage structure (which I doubt given the demands he placed on us over his new contract).

IMO he'll end up in Italy, probably taking home more money than he earns today, but actually on maybe a lower wage structure because he'll only be liable for 10% tax over there.

Rolls Royce of a player in his prime. One of the best centre halves I have ever witnessed playing for Spurs, certainly top 5.

But at this point he's more of a Jaguar with 250,000 miles on the clock. Could break down at any moment, poor turning circle, not to be trusted for continuous & regular use, but still quite a nice motor that someone would be prepared to pay a bit for.

Good time to sell in my opinion if the rumours are true. A man we will be able to love & cheer for decades into the future.

Disappointing to hear, but not surprising.

I have no problem with us replacing him with better CB's but it is unlikely we do that. He is still by far the best CB we have and likely would have been the best CB we had next year as well.

Him asking to leave hopefully means that unlike other players that need to go more, he will be realistic in what leaving means and work to help make the deal easy.

If Toby goes we are left with Dier, Sanchez, Rodon and Tanganga.

Not really inspiring.

There's no way we let Toby leave and go to a back 3 system without an established replacement coming in...

is there?

If Toby wants to leave and step down to a lower level then he will of course have to accept a reduction in salary.

Not sure I see that happening..... He only just got that big pay-bump last summer. Toby has shown in the past he's not the smartest of business men.... Perhaps he hasn't considered the ramifications of such a move.

It’ll be a good thing to get out from under his contract.

Mougabe extending both him and Dier was ridiculous, and put a road block in front of the rebuild

Yeah, let's not equate the two. If Toby stays he'd still currently be our best CB. Dier on the other hand...

If he wanted to stay I think he is a good backup player. If he wants to leave, then fair enough.

To be honest, I think we need at least 2 centre halves regardless, ideally 3. Something like Skriniar-Anderson-Boly would be a nice back 3 for Nuno to be working with and might be gettable for us, assuming we shift a few out. Davies-Rodon-Tanganga as backup.

Knowing Levy, the back 3 to start will be Dier-Rodon-Sanchez.

Back
Top Bottom