Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you watch games? Nobody has a vendetta against Toby. Just that his mouth is faster than his legs these days.
How do you “miss”
5 games?
I guess you’re American. ?

Nope not American, not that it matters at all if I was. What a pathetic, but not surprising, attempted insult.

LOL

And you definitely have a vendetta against Toby look at the BS you are saying about him in this thread. Making up non-stories to try and shit on him.

Nope not American, not that it matters at all if I was. What a pathetic, but not surprising, attempted insult.

LOL

And you definitely have a vendetta against Toby look at the BS you are saying about him in this thread. Making up non-stories to try and shit on him.
Well you must be a Belgian with those rose tinted glasses, missing his appearances through plain old injury & blind love for a fading player. When someone claims that being our best defender in an utterly hopeless season means he would walk into a top 4 side? Serious delusion.

Last edited:
Pretending that Toby is immune to the impact of time and 15 seasons of professional sport, that's just foolish. Nobody is disputing his ability but father time simply doesn't care.

If you think Toby should stay as our 50 game a season starting CB next season - probably best stick to FM.

LOL

I love how pointing out the fact that one of our players has played well and has skill means it is rose tinted glasses.
You didn’t say he’d played well. You doubled down on your assertion he was and is “great”
Which is bollocks. He’s the best of a bad bunch that levy won’t get rid of. Until levy does get out the machete or fuck off out of the club, we will always fall short. Nobody in this thread has said Toby hasn’t been a good player for us. Most of
Us are realistic enough to accept he’s not the player he was, isn’t “top 4” & should have been replaced at the same time as super Jan who is a legend.

Pretending that Toby is immune to the impact of time and 15 seasons of professional sport, that's just foolish. Nobody is disputing his ability but father time simply doesn't care.

If you think Toby should stay as our 50 game a season starting CB next season - probably best stick to FM.

I don't think that Toby is immune to the impact of time. I have said I hope we bring in CB's that are better to move him out. I have said we should have been bringing in guys two years ago to take over for him. If I had my way he would have been the 3rd choice CB last year, if not lower because we would have properly planned to move on from Jan and Toby.

But the reality is we have no CBs close to ready to take over for him in the squad and it is unlikely we will bring in a single CB, let alone multiple CB's that are better than him. I hope Levy proves me wrong but he hasn't given me any reason to think that he will.

And why does he have to play 50 games? That seems like a ridiculous amount of games for any player. We have one guy with 50 appearances this year and we all complain about how badly overplayed he is. No reason Toby can't play 38 PL games for us and then maybe as we get into later stages of Cups he plays in 3-5 more.

You didn’t say he’d played well. You doubled down on your assertion he was and is “great”
Which is bollocks. He’s the best of a bad bunch that levy won’t get rid of. Until levy does get out the machete or fuck off out of the club, we will always fall short. Nobody in this thread has said Toby hasn’t been a good player for us. Most of
Us are realistic enough to accept he’s not the player he was, isn’t “top 4” & should have been replaced at the same time as super Jan who is a legend.

Toby was great that is the truth.

Toby didn't decline physically as quickly as Jan, likely in part due to Jan's concussion and age. Yes it would have been ideal if we had a replacement for him but we didn't we needed him to stay because of how good he was.

Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld is a target for Club Bruges but the 32-year-old Belgium international will not make a decision on his future until finding out who will take over from interim Spurs boss Ryan Mason. (Voetbal 24, via Express)
Just read the article and have no idea why people are getting upset about it.

Toby's 32 and legs are starting to go.

Still a very good defender.

Still wants to play.

Nowhere has he said he's great or better than anyone.

He'll wait to see who the new manager is, talk to him, and see if he's still wanted at Spurs.

If he's not in the new managers plans then he might look for a move.

A move to Bruges, hardly a top club befitting someone allegedly bigging themselves up as one of the best defenders in the world.

I don't see any disrespect in that at all, quite the opposite in fact. If the new manager wants him, he'll stay.

Its no biggie, even if the report is true.

Just read the article and have no idea why people are getting upset about it.

Toby's 32 and legs are starting to go.

Still a very good defender.

Still wants to play.

Nowhere has he said he's great or better than anyone.

He'll wait to see who the new manager is, talk to him, and see if he's still wanted at Spurs.

If he's not in the new managers plans then he might look for a move.

A move to Bruges, hardly a top club befitting someone allegedly bigging themselves up as one of the best defenders in the world.

I don't see any disrespect in that at all, quite the opposite in fact. If the new manager wants him, he'll stay.

Its no biggie, even if the report is true.
Whatever way you cut it, he is being linked with moves to Dutch and Belgian clubs these days. I think that says something. If Man Utd or City come in for him, I'll consider revising my opinion.

But the thing with Toby is that I suspect him of being someone who rocks the boat behind the scenes. One of many, yes, but I don't trust him.

Whatever way you cut it, he is being linked with moves to Dutch and Belgian clubs these days. I think that says something. If Man Utd or City come in for him, I'll consider revising my opinion.

But the thing with Toby is that I suspect him of being someone who rocks the boat behind the scenes. One of many, yes, but I don't trust him.
That's interesting.

Why do you suspect him?

Not saying you're wrong, only curious.

That's interesting.

Why do you suspect him?

Not saying you're wrong, only curious.
Reading between the lines, I think Poch wanted him moved on. I think Alderweireld was one of those who agitated for Poch's removal. He couldn't hide his glee when he heard we were hiring Mourinho, and couldn't sign a contract extension quickly enough. Then he fell out with him, although the reasons are not obvious. I think he also agitated for Mourinho's removal. So, I think he is a coach killer, as they say in the USA, but I think we have accumulated a lot of them; I think the culture is rotten here, stevee stevee . If he is not impressed with the new choice of coach, is he going to be chuntering in the background? I wouldn't rule it out.

Footballers are not politicians used to making statements. Not sure where this comment came from but it is a neutral comment rather than I want to leave or stay. If he subsequently comes out supporting the new Manager and saying he wants to stay then that is a good thing. He is no longer vital to the team and is not as good as he was and if he leaves I will not be concerned although I rate him the best CB we currently have but consider a new Cb & Rodon to be the first choice CB's at some stage next season if not the start of the season.

Back
Top Bottom