Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Off topic and maybe it has been addressed but what is it with Spurs fan (my be all football fans but I haven't seen it from other clubs) and their hatred of fans not born and raised right in White Hart Lane?

It is an English thing because when I travelled to the UK for rugby everyone I met thought it was great to see fans from all over the world supporting rugby and their clubs.

It isn't a sports thing because I follow multiple NA sports and have seen international fans get tons of support when they mention they follow team x. Fans support them and love to see the team getting support all over the world.

But for Spurs fans if you are not born and raised, with 6 generations born and raised as well, with in touching distance of White Hart Lane to many that somehow makes you a lesser fan. And I am not talking about just on here or me either, but it is widespread and against many different fans/countries.

Is it a small minority, is it a bigger issue than Spurs/English supporters and a football thing?

It seems like such an odd and pathetic criticism to bring up where someone is from and yet is done so regularly by many "fans" when someone not from London supports that club.
For whatever it’s worth, I have always found folks here to be remarkably welcoming and non-judgmental about us far-flung supporters.

Anyway, as to the thread topic, I confess I did not see Toby as being at the Qatar-type portion of his career, and I do think he would help the team a lot next year, but this does improve our financial position to make the team younger for the long term, so it’s positive in that respect.

E7E-mBGXMAAMDqQ

Good Luck Toby!

This is the painful rebuild that we need.

Worrying thing is is that my age group had Ferdinand, Ledley, Woodgate, Carragher, cunt Terry and that’s just the English, the standard of centre back has fallen through the floor since so to replace him with a better defender is basically impossible

Off topic and maybe it has been addressed but what is it with Spurs fan (my be all football fans but I haven't seen it from other clubs) and their hatred of fans not born and raised right in White Hart Lane?

It is an English thing because when I travelled to the UK for rugby everyone I met thought it was great to see fans from all over the world supporting rugby and their clubs.

It isn't a sports thing because I follow multiple NA sports and have seen international fans get tons of support when they mention they follow team x. Fans support them and love to see the team getting support all over the world.

But for Spurs fans if you are not born and raised, with 6 generations born and raised as well, with in touching distance of White Hart Lane to many that somehow makes you a lesser fan. And I am not talking about just on here or me either, but it is widespread and against many different fans/countries.

Is it a small minority, is it a bigger issue than Spurs/English supporters and a football thing?

It seems like such an odd and pathetic criticism to bring up where someone is from and yet is done so regularly by many "fans" when someone not from London supports that club.
Yea there are a few cunts around who think someone who was born in the centre circle of white hart lane is more special than others. Having said that a lot of foreign fans are very very annoying when they have absolutely no clue about the team but just want to see their one guy succeed who we might have bought.

Worrying thing is is that my age group had Ferdinand, Ledley, Woodgate, Carragher, cunt Terry and that’s just the English, the standard of centre back has fallen through the floor since so to replace him with a better defender is basically impossible
I think it's impossible to compare today's CB's even with those 5-10yrs ago. Since all that's required for a pen to be giving is "contact" and that's now magnified with VAR it's a totally new way of playing is required. Terry playing under today's law interpretations and VAR would be a hilarious watch.

Painful. It's like when Dembele left, because with Verts we knew it months ago. I wish him the best of luck, that Jan-Toby partnership was incredible in its peak.

The drop off was real, but we had his peak years; for which I'm grateful..... Good luck in ya next job, Toby. 👍

I think it's impossible to compare today's CB's even with those 5-10yrs ago. Since all that's required for a pen to be giving is "contact" and that's now magnified with VAR it's a totally new way of playing is required. Terry playing under today's law interpretations and VAR would be a hilarious watch.

I get your point its all leaning towards the forwards these days, Van Dijk is pretty good at defending but I don’t see many as good as him

I still laugh that Stones and Maguire were just about it for England

Anyway, point is, more quality gone and we won’t be able to replace him easily at all as good defenders at a premium now

Funny to think we had the peak years of Dembele, Verts and Toby, what a combo that was for a few years.

Toby’s leg where clearly going last season but he should be able to go for a few more in a weaker league.

Back
Top Bottom