Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
Agree.

Not scared to exile high profile players who don't pull their (in NDombele's case very considerable) weight.

Taking a tough line on Kane's antics.

Giving young hungry players who want to play for our club a chance.

Speaks very positively about being here. Actually looks confident in interviews, unlike Mason (sorry Ryan).

Really hope he succeeds.
Tough line on Kane’s antics🤣🤣

Kane won’t speak to him. His position becomes untenable if he doesn’t say something to look strong.

Better than Mason or Mourinho qualifiers are laughably low bars.

Ndombele can be interpreted in more than one way. Could equally be construed as further evidence he’s not inspiring our squad and failing to get anything from our record signing.

Good to be optimistic and hope this surprising gamble pays off but not seeing anything so far. Well, maybe that’s too harsh fitness focus and no Sissoko are definitely good to see.

mcclaren.gif

I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime and break this post down a little. I think you're a decent poster but this is quite unfair on Nuno imv.
Tough line on Kane’s antics🤣🤣
Yes. Nuno has made it clear he only wants hungry players who want to play for our club here. Not sure what more he can do - it's 100% the right message to send out, and for a new manager taking charge of a squad of players he doesn't know well it's absolutely the right set of moves.
Kane won’t speak to him. His position becomes untenable if he doesn’t say something to look strong.
It wouldn't become untenable, realistically, but it would set off a new manager on the wrong foot. Nuno could quite easily have caved in on this with lines like 'we'll listen to Harry' etc. He's made it clear dissent won't be tolerated with his comments about dealing with the situation in house. Good start imho.
Better than Mason or Mourinho qualifiers are laughably low bars.
In agreement here.
Ndombele can be interpreted in more than one way. Could equally be construed as further evidence he’s not inspiring our squad and failing to get anything from our record signing.
He's been here over two years now and has played under four different managers. Why do all of them (apart from Poch, maybe) seem to share similar doubts about him, despite their very different styles of man management? NDombele is clearly a fantastic talent but talent is not enough if you want to succeed at the top level. This is the make or break season for him here.
Good to be optimistic and hope this surprising gamble pays off but not seeing anything so far. Well, maybe that’s too harsh fitness focus and no Sissoko are definitely good to see.
I would say looking at things in the round - matches and the general environmental stuff - there's cause for some optimism. Wouldn't read much into preseason but there's incremental improvement. I am setting my expectations for this season quite low anyway,

I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime and break this post down a little. I think you're a decent poster but this is quite unfair on Nuno imv.

Yes. Nuno has made it clear he only wants hungry players who want to play for our club here. Not sure what more he can do - it's 100% the right message to send out, and for a new manager taking charge of a squad of players he doesn't know well it's absolutely the right set of moves.

It wouldn't become untenable, realistically, but it would set off a new manager on the wrong foot. Nuno could quite easily have caved in on this with lines like 'we'll listen to Harry' etc. He's made it clear dissent won't be tolerated with his comments about dealing with the situation in house. Good start imho.

In agreement here.

He's been here over two years now and has played under four different managers. Why do all of them (apart from Poch, maybe) seem to share similar doubts about him, despite their very different styles of man management? NDombele is clearly a fantastic talent but talent is not enough if you want to succeed at the top level. This is the make or break season for him here.

I would say looking at things in the round - matches and the general environmental stuff - there's cause for some optimism. Wouldn't read much into preseason but there's incremental improvement. I am setting my expectations for this season quite low anyway,
Cheers. 👍

Yeah fine untenable is way too strong🤣 but as you say would set him off on a bad foot. To me Kane’s refusal to speak to him is pretty embarrassing for him, and sums up what most thought upon his appointment. He’s bound to only want players willing to speak to him.

As I think you allude to poch didnt integrate new players immediately so it’s hard to fully interpret his time with Ndombele. Mourinho always needs a scapegoat, and prefers a defensive clogger to a midfield maestro, Mason played his mates and nuno is of the defensive mould again.

It does look just a disastrous signing but it would have been interesting to see him in a team with an attacking possession orientated manager before he toddles off. Just nags that both parties went in opposite directions after his signing and a lot of talent goes wasted.

Anyway, it’s good to read yours and others good vibes on this, I’m still struggling as you can tell, I do cling onto the hope that all our big name managers and players flop so Nuno must have a chance.

Last edited:
Cheers. 👍

Yeah fine untenable is way too strong🤣 but as you say would set him off on a bad foot. To me Kane’s refusal to speak to him is pretty embarrassing for him, and sums up what most thought upon his appointment. He’s bound to only want players willing to speak to him.

As I think you allude to poch didnt integrated new players immediately so it’s hard to fully interpret his time with Ndombele. Mourinho always needs a scapegoat, and prefers a defensive clogger to a midfield maestro, Mason played his mates and nuno is of the defensive mould again.

It does look just a disastrous signing but it would have been interesting to see him in a team with an attacking possession orientated manager before he toddles off. Just nags that both parties went in opposite directions after his signing and a lot of talent goes wasted.

Anyway, it’s good to read yours and others good vibes on this, I’m still struggling as you can tell, I do cling onto the hope that all our big name managers and players flop so Nuno must have a chance.
No problem mate.

I know what you mean but I think most of all this reflects badly on Kane. To not even bother to attempt to speak to your new boss is incredibly disrespectful.

I wasn't a fan of the appointment but to be fair to him, it looked like things had just gone a bit stale at Wolves which can sometimes happen. The injury to Jiminez and the sale of Jota seemed to be the end of him. They still had a lot of good players though and it's not really an excuse for them to be as poor as they were in the last 6 months or so of his time there. I am warming to him though, and at the end of the day, I'd back Sam Allardyce if he was the manager of our club. Through gritted fucking teeth though.

I don't think you can expect him to compete with the same group who have proved they aren't up to the job. You are not going to win enough games when you are relying on dier and sanchez to defend properly and depending on the likes of winks and bergwijn to change games.

Lucky we've already bought Romero & Gil then (with presumably more to come)..... A 6 point gain is not insurmountable if we get our trf business right.

I think, fundamentally, he seems like a really nice guy. He's likeable, and its something Ive dearly missed!

The emphasis on effort, aggression and fitness is massively appreciated too.

Clearly not first choice (or second, third...) and clearly something of a head scratcher in terms of what to expect from him etc - but currently Im happy he's here, happy he is making the right moves, and happy to give him time to show what he can do

I think what gets overlooked in this is that he'll have something to prove and will want to vindicate himself as being the right guy for the job all along.

He was considered hot shit and (proverbially speaking) 'the next Poch' by all the talking heads as recent as the end of the 19/20 season..... Last year at Wolves was rough (with lots of mitigating factors if one chooses to indulge them), but in terms of his exit we have no idea what went on behind the scenes.

I'll be honest; if you'd have asked me last season if I wanted him I'd have said no; but he 100% has my backing here until such time that he proves he cannot cut the mustard......

Last edited:
So far he is saying the right things and doing the right things. The players who aren’t good enough are out of the team. We are trying to play more exciting football. We are signing hungry young players. We are working hard on improving our fitness. I get a very Poch-like vibe from him. Unlike Mourinho he sees us as a prestigious step up and not a small club that he is doing a favour by being here. We should all want him to succeed.

What???

Moura, Dier and Alli have been 3 of the most featured players in the pre-season and all 3 are near or at the top of players that aren't good enough.

The only positive about Nuno is that he isn't Jose and even that is a stretch because the way he has us playing and wants us to play is very Jose-esque.

He is a terrible manager and a pile of crap but we are stuck with him so will have to wait it out until he inevitably fails.

Jesus Christ. Some of you people…

I didn’t want Nuno. But I think he has done a great job in pre-season. We are playing good football and getting results. We drew against Chelsea when we probably deserved to lose and we edged Woolwich when we probably deserved to smash them.

We are playing attractive football and with the same team from last year. Nuno is dealing with a rebelious teenager and conducting himself admirably. If Kane doesn’t want to talk toNuno, fuck him, stick him in the reserves.

Nuno is the main man. He deserves our backing.

I like what i've seen of him in terms of how he carries himself and talks. Seems a good, principled bloke that is no pushover which is a refreshing change after JM. Mason did a decent job of steadying the ship but I must admit it's nice to have a proper manager in charge.

I wasn't in favour of his appointment but I'm warming to him already.

He is a terrible manager and a pile of crap but we are stuck with him so will have to wait it out until he inevitably fails.
What a supporter you are. If you want to shit on a player or coach that has failed or hasn’t given his all, that’s fair. To call our manager ( who has been nothing but positive and professional so far) a pile of crap before he’s even managed a match says a lot about you.

What a supporter you are. If you want to shit on a player or coach that has failed or hasn’t given his all, that’s fair. To call our manager ( who has been nothing but positive and professional so far) a pile of crap before he’s even managed a match says a lot about you.

It isn’t like Nuno is brand new, we have seen his crap for 3 years at Wolves and so far coming in here he has done nothing positive.

Hopefully he does a 180 and totally changes his approach but so far there is no reason to lie and be positive about him for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom