Tottenham v. Manchester City (Sun Aug. 15 16:30 BST)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes. Japhet was definitely MOTM for me. Almost single-handedly nullified both Sterling and that new boy until he was subbed off, to the crowd's adulation. Tanganga took Sterling out of the game so much that Guar***** had to replace him. That's how effective he was. And Grealish barely had a sniff.
To top it all, Grealish wasn't allowed to embark on hardly any of those maisey 'dribbles that end up in a free kick', that he would have dreamed of performing on his debut for the best football club in the Universe.
In fact, Grealish looked like he would fit in very well at Aston F*****g Villa.

Stupendous, coming-of-age performance by JT, capped by a magnanimous, mature interview after the game.
I’m away so had to watch the game with a mate who supports Chelsea. He could not believe we had a player like JT that he had never heard of. Said he wished he was at Chelsea

I’m not going to lie I was absolutely shitting myself seeing Dier and Sanchez start but they were fucking sublime. Loved that they were barking orders to the other defenders and midfielders as well.

Skipp and Tanganga didn’t look one foot out of place against arguably the best squad in Europe.

Just reading back through this thread. The melting when people saw the lineup is hilarious. First game of the season and people already preferring to slag off players and management before either have been given a chance. Fans? Supporters? Giraffe. Thank God the people inside the stadium were behind the team. Hope some humble pie is on the menu this morning. If you’re just after big names on the team sheet and in the dugout, feel free to bugger off to the team we beat yesterday. They’re a club of plastic melts. Many on here would fit in well.

Forgive me for not joining in with the pre-match massive meltdown.

Football's a funny old game. I have us penciled in for the unlikeliest of wins today.

1-0

:nunothumb:
You idiot levy-lover. You’re supposed to slag off the players, manager, everything, wish for Conte and a team of galactico mercenaries, NDombele should be captain and Lucas and Son can never lead the line etc etc I want a ST refund blah blah blah.

:angryscouser::angryscouser::angryscouser:

Outstanding performance.

The quality of our squad was there to see and players clearly showing the manager that they deserve to be at this club. With new players coming in, every player is fighting for their spot.

The change in referee style worked to our advantage. Harder tackles we tolerated and clearly Nuno did his homework in this regard.

I do wonder if Pep will now put pressure on the referee's to 'protect' his players.

I was very impressed with Alli. Rarely joined in the attack and put in a shift in midfield; covering the most ground and the fastest average speed. He didn't try anything flash; he knuckled down and grafted. Of course, because he wasn't popping up in attacking positions he was getting some stick on here for 'going missing'...sigh.
One thing I noticed about Alli was, in the the counter attack for Sonny's goal Alli was the furthest(of the players who broke for counter) away from the city goal but as the ball went in he was the closest to city's goal ready to pick up any spillage. Has a knack for it, he will still get a few goals if he plays regularly I think

Woken up this morning still buzzing. Didn’t expect that performance. We looked fitter and far more determined than at any point during Mourinho’s reign.

Loved Japhet‘s performance but Lucas just edges MoM for me - incredible desire and athleticism. An afternoon when those head down light-speed charges cause havoc in the oppo’s defence. Honourable mentions for Sanchez & Dier who looked solid and well coached (who would of thought it!).

Aside from the first 15mins I thought we matched them, then started to create the best clear cut chances - Stevie B!!!!!

Me and the lad stayed out till late last night revelling in all the days details. We were loud yesterday . Had mates watching on telly texting saying how incredible the atmosphere was. Well done us!! 👏

A few words on Citeh: pathetic away support. My lad reckoned the quietest he had experienced in the league. A shell of a club with no identity - just a billionaires plaything. Pep really is a hubristic fucking cunt. Thinks he can rest players/tinker and still just waltz up and take the points. Mendy/Ake was an accident waiting to happen.

Interesting to see how we approach the next two league games - when we are expected to have the majority of possession - and interesting to see who else we might bring in. Oh and the H situation - just swallow your pride, stay and become a legend.

COYS

A fantastic match. We were organized and disciplined at the back. We did seem to start a bit slow but after the first twenty or so it was even going. Squad seemed juiced in the second half, and Nuno must have made just the right tweaks to get us more on the front foot. Son‘s goal was joyous.

Whatever Nuno is doing, it’s working because he got the best out of the squad. Have not seen Dier and Sanchez ever that good. Tanganga has to stay. anyway late here, great stuff. Let’s keep it rolling.

COYS

Dele apparently covered more ground than any other player (11.11 km) and clocked the highest average speed (6.9 km/hr) yesterday according to OptaJoe.

As someone who has been critical of his play over the last two seasons I can happily say bloody well done. He was great, particularly in the second half where he refused to let Gündogan out of his sight.

Dele apparently covered more ground than any other player (11.11 km) and clocked the highest average speed (6.9 km/hr) yesterday according to OptaJoe.

As someone who has been critical of his play over the last two seasons I can happily say bloody well done. He was great, particularly in the second half where he refused to let Gündogan out of his sight.

Agree.
I have been brutal on him but he didnt stop working today.
Credit to the kid.

We weren't "very lucky", we were the best football team for 75 of the 90 minutes.

If you watched the game, as you claimed, how could you possibly think e we were lucky? We were outstanding in the second half, and even in those first 15 minutes, our defence was outstanding, Dier and Sanchez were brilliant throughout, after a shaky start Skipp was ace, PEH was brilliant for 90 minutes...

What on earth do you want against The Best Football Team Ever?

But ... but I didn't say that?

We were brilliant overall. I just said that.

And I don't "want more", because goog football comes first and was duly served. The result followed.

I was merely replying to another post in the constant bickering of partisan views, where I humbly said that perhaps one can appreciate both views.

Good lord, that really have pissed off a lot of people here.

Back
Top Bottom