Tottenham Vs Watford - Sun Aug 29th - 2pm KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Decent 3 points. Watford seemed to setup to be content with a single point and never really committed players to attack.

Very solid by our defenders. Dier/Sanchez won everything thrown towards them and Holjberg/Skipp and Dele didn't let anything pass through our midfield.

Quiet day for our front 3. Watford sat deep and they didn't get a lot of room to operate in. Since we got the goal in the bag, there was (quite rightly) no real urgency to take risks.

3 clean sheet.
3 wins.

The number of people who leave at the 40th minute mark for half time food and drink is ridiculous.

Why spend so much on a ticket and then miss part of the game?
I agree and don’t leave for that reason myself BUT
the queues to get a drink a ridiculous. Given it’s all contactless, I really don’t understand why it takes so long and they don’t line up the pints 3/4 full so they can be topped up and sold. Or have a load ready to go from a few minutes before the whistle.
The last season we were actually in the stadium the amount of time I actually got a drink with sub-5 mins to go which you either down or you face missing the first few mins of the 2nd half which defies the point of not leaving early to miss the end of the first half!

On the game, I thought we looked good if not spectacular. Kept on having to remind myself it was only 1-0 through the 2nd as it felt so comfortable.

once again, extremely organized and disciplined. With as much possession as we had, I would have liked to see more creativity in the final third. But like another post said, if Dele’s chance had gone in, it would have a whole different feeling.

Nuno has done wonders with the defense…..imagine that from a manager who was a keeper.

Super happy with this start.

COYS

He does seem to have lost some of his stamina. After every sprint he now needs a much longer time to run again.
Age and injuries can do that to a player. He had knee surgery in the 19-20 season and that seems to be the big turning point where his positive attributes started winding down.

Yes. Our current 11 are stronger.

You have previously made the point that the squad had regressed. At the time, you were spot on.

Under Nuno’s training, by the squads own admission, they are stronger.
I don’t agree

Neither Berg or Lucas are better than Bale

Neither PEH or Skipp are better than fit Ndombele

We’ve only improved one CB so far and no RB

I agree and don’t leave for that reason myself BUT
the queues to get a drink a ridiculous. Given it’s all contactless, I really don’t understand why it takes so long and they don’t line up the pints 3/4 full so they can be topped up and sold. Or have a load ready to go from a few minutes before the whistle.
The last season we were actually in the stadium the amount of time I actually got a drink with sub-5 mins to go which you either down or you face missing the first few mins of the 2nd half which defies the point of not leaving early to miss the end of the first half!

On the game, I thought we looked good if not spectacular. Kept on having to remind myself it was only 1-0 through the 2nd as it felt so comfortable.
#firstworldproblems

Which positive attributes? Pointing?!🤣
People are quick to forget. But Moussa outright bullied opposite midfields for a period of time stretching from the later half of the 17-18 season and over the 18-19 one. He was always technically limited, but he covered so much ground and was a one man pressing machine that it didn't matter.

A couple of hairy moments but unlike the Jose days we weren't sat back inviting pressure, so its night and day. A couple of chances went begging where it looked easier to score than miss which probably would have been a fairer reflection on the balance of play if they went in. Not a bad day at the office, it'll get better.

Also, credit to the Watford fans for making themselves heard, more than can be said for Citehs bunch.
Lol all I could make out was "sit down, shut up" and "Watford FC", which sounded like "Watford are shit" haha.

Loved the singing for Rose as he was on the touchline and for Moussa many times through the game.

Halftime queues were a fucking travesty.

Lol all I could make out was "sit down, shut up" and "Watford FC", which sounded like "Watford are shit" haha.

Loved the singing for Rose as he was on the touchline and for Moussa many times through the game.

Halftime queues were a fucking travesty.
Some cringey chants for sure and a dweeby set of fans. But they were 100x better than citeh who must have the worst support in England at the moment.
Queues were fine for me, I often see people queuing in a long line when 10m away it is basically empty. This year for the toilet or food I have not waited more than 2 minutes. We are light years ahead of what we had to endure at the old whl

I'm still smiling like the Cheshire cat, nothing beats a win, especially considering the impact on the table!
I think Nuno has worked a small miracle, tbh. He took over a disjointed, dispirited bunch of individuals, questionable fitness, with the talisman wanting away, and made them into something that resembles an efficient unit, that work for each other.
The advantage of sitting where I do (near the touchline), is that I can actually see the effort they are putting in.
Yes, we definitely need a creative midfielder, especially against the 'park the bus' teams, and unless we buy someone PDQ, then let Gio or Bryan have a go, or even Kane? We need to be a bit more flexible and adapt quickly, depending on the circumstances.
Again, found it difficult to pick out a MOTM, as it was a good team performance all around. If pushed, will plump for PEH, but I have been impressed with the defensive partnership that is developing with Davy and Eric.
Glad that Moussa and Danny got a great reception, and hope that the penny has dropped for Harry that he will not get the love he got today anywhere else.
In conclusion, think we were worth our win and worth our place in the table. What's not to like?
Perfect analysis. Thank you, Ma'am.

giphy.gif

This time last year we draw or lose those 3 “close games”…..If your not happy with the quality of silky football that’s fine, if your not happy we aren’t winning 5-0 every week that’s also fine, if you think we still need to buy one or two more players this window that’s fine too, but the fact we got these 3 “close games” over the line shows at the very least the mental strength is there at this present moment in time…..

Just a reminder “This time last year we squandered a 3-0 lead in the last 10mins against West Ham…🤦🏻

We also put 3 past West Ham to squander. And 5 past Southampton. 6 past United.
We scored a shit ton early on last season.

My point is, the team and the fans will have to refrain from not melting if we have a game where we don't score and either draw or lose as a result. 1-0 isn't a sustainable scoreline.

Interesting some bitter gooner was on the radio having a go at Spurs for winning 1-0
He took exception to the fact we used to taunt them for boring 1-0 wins and said "I bet they don't find it boring now they're at the top"

I wouldn't say boring, no. More worrying. Even before Mourinho Spurs had a history of throwing away leads. It's not easy watching us hold on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom