Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
I believe we have players that can play. I have seen them do it, it's up to the manager to get a tune out of them and utilise a system that allows them to use their strengths. This is where the Romero signing is going to be telling, he likes to play and take risk when in possession. Will Nuno allow it?
When available and fully fit, will Nuno play Tanguy and GLC?
We'll get an indication of what Nuno plans to get from the squad from little things like that.

Liverpool basically have straight line speedsters too. But they don't defend the whole game. They utilise their counter effectively but the intent is to win the game by taking it to the opposition, this is the biggest thing for me. I don't mind having less possession or 50/50 possession. But we don't try to actively win the game by forcing the opposition into submission. It's just hope we get ahead and then hold on for dear life. When we go up 1, why don't we try to pursue goals 2, 3 and 4?

There's something to be said about intent to win the game. I believe this is totally different to playing stylish football. Part of the frustrations of spurs fans is that the style of football is dull, but at the same time we don't seem intent on taking the initiative in games.
This notion of playing the Tottenham way goes beyond stylish play. We've had some great teams over the years (push and run team, 60-61, then 81 team) , even poch a few seasons ago all played good football.
But one thing they all had in common was before the game even started you knew the team was going out to win. It was a relentless but measured pursuit trying to score goals, albeit in different styles and manner of playing. This for me is what has been missing for the past 3 years.

I will caveat this with something said earlier. This intent to win doesn't mean you play like Leeds. Bielsa has this reputation of being a god in managerial circles. But I don't understand how someone so experienced can be so naive. His pursuit to score goals is not measured at all like those of the top teams, it's why they will struggle.

Spot on there, great post. It’s a mentality thing isn’t it. Confidence, bravery, arrogance, nastiness etc. We need all our players to get this back.

I appreciate he tried to put out a more attacking lineup. Fair play.

BUT I don't appreciate that yet again we were dull. I think though in his defense the injuries are mounting up and the board did not deliver enough attacking/creative players in the window. Saying that did he even want them? We'll never know.

Chelsea a big game. Again we have to show something. I'm not as fustrated tonight because at least there was a bit more effort in the lineup and attack.
Forget it.

He hasn't got a clue.

It'll be very ugly.

Not seen a thing so far that suggests we’re going to improve - that Palace starting lineup made no sense, still confused by the three holding midfielders, and the ‘attacking’ lineup this evening might have had the attacking personnel but it didn’t have any tactics applied with it.

not sure where we’re going quite frankly.

If I'm being completely honest, there are some concerns. Maybe Tanguy will kick on now, Lo Celso will return, and the two of them will contribute to some creativity in midfield (alongside Sonny coming back, of course).

But it's starting to feel a little bit like the opposite of Poch: great initial results but I'm not sure you can see what we're trying to do other than be solid defensively. Conversely, Poch had a rockier start but even from pre-season you could 100% see the plan he was trying to get across.

I can't be the only one looking at the Club Brugge - PSG result and wondering if the seat might just be being kept warm...

If poch fails with that squad why would we even want him back?

I'm a 'romantic', but far from convinced by the idea even if he does scoop a Ligue Une title(*).

By contrast, if he'd have (eg) gone to BVB and pipped Bayern to a BL-titled; I'd have been far more enthused about a return at some point.

(*Imagine if City & RB finish above them in the CL group tho'...... Messi & Neymar slumming it in the Europa would be funny as fuck!)

I'm a 'romantic', but far from convinced by the idea even if he does scoop a Ligue Une title(*).

By contrast, if he'd have (eg) gone to BVB and pipped Bayern to a BL-titled; I'd have been far more enthused about a return at some point.

(*Imagine if City & RB finish above them in the CL group tho'...... Messi & Neymar slumming it in the Europa would be funny as fuck!)
I agree. I feel a lot of fans are disillusioned and are basically looking for some light at this ever decreasing end of the tunnel. I don't think Poch is the answer either but if Nuno does fail things are going to get really really interesting as to where we head next.

Spot on there, great post. It’s a mentality thing isn’t it. Confidence, bravery, arrogance, nastiness etc. We need all our players to get this back.
Yeah. We've had major mentality issues for a long time. Even when we were playing well there was always that barrier about getting over the final hurdle. It's not easy to get this. Mourinho experiment was to try solve this exact problem. Except Levy didn't account for the fact that his methods were outdated and the whole intent to win also went out the window because of his defensive tactics. It's plainly evident when you try to defend a 1 goal lead week in, week out and end up drawing or losing.

What's more is that my post earlier about lack of intent was backed up by what Hojbjerg said a few hours later about Nuno emphasising being solid and hard to beat. It just shows the mentality is to not lose first instead of win first.

That should speak volumes to all involved at the club.

Back
Top Bottom