Are the morals of our owners important to you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are so many contradictions when talking about many countries especially the Middle Eastern ones who have laws and customs most here would abhor .But most fans want trophies and will accept new owners if they deliver on the field . The argument about the morality of these countries will go round in circles and will never be agreed on .The world we live in people and governments will fall over each other to take Arab investment and have no problems with it . Sure the guy who has all the horses has behaved pretty badly but no one protests about it they would love his horses in their yard .

Rubbish.

People have walked away from all sorts of scenarios (monetary and/or potential glory) over principals..... And they will again.

If you have no scruples then so be it; but don't paint others with the same shitty brush.

Last edited:
I mean, there's "a bit shady", and "dodges taxes" (which as a hard working tax payer trying to pay off a London sized mortgage really annoys me) and then there's executing journalists and homosexuals but there are some people here arguing that it's all the same.
You know what's really nauseating. People using this analogy to somehow make an argument for ENIC being good owners.

They're not. They're fucking shit.
They care nothing about football. They care even less about you, the lifelong fan.
They're only interested in it's commercial exploitation as a means to expand their property portfolio and land their ultimate goal of an NFL franchise.

Saudi's, Russians, Chinese or whoever investing in other clubs in NO WAY makes ENIC's slow strangulation of our soul acceptable.

Let nobody ever forget this.

That’s total nonsense.

For one thing, a standard investment company is not remotely comparable to a repressive, antisemitic, sectarian, homophobic, murderous regime like the House of Saud.

And think about what your complaint is about ENIC. Too interested in money, seeing the club as an investment, not interested enough in football success?

Then think about complaints about Abu Dhabi, Qatar and now Saudi Arabia. The exact opposite situation - pumping in hundreds of millions to buy footballing success and there buy soft power and prestige for their regimes (sportswashing, as it’s become known).

Think about it.
My point is that whilst we might not have anywhere near as much blood on our money the reality is our owners are only in this for themselves and not for the supporters, not for the fans, in the same way that the City owners are, only difference being is that their fans can ignore all the horrific shit because they have titles to celebrate and that "makes it all better."

Morally I find the way these companies do business all the same, the fans are an afterthought so my point is, we don't have a moral high ground and we aren't "doing things the right way" as many people believe.

The only difference between our owners and the City owners comes down to political and social differences in attitudes towards the world.

So sure, we can be proud that our owners aren't murdering people or participating in any of the things you have listed above but in terms of the business of football does that give us moral superiority? No, it doesn't imo because our actual business model in terms of the treatment towards fans is just as corrupt as theirs.

Herein lies the problem having had the thread title changed..... Now we just have the latest incarnation of the "are ENIC cunts" debate.....

This started off being on the basis of "could you stomach being owned by Newcastle's new mob".....

ENIC may be all sorts of things but they're not murderers....... They're not on par with the scum that run City either..... Or PSG or even Abramovic for that matter.

Politically and socially I agree but in terms of their treatment towards paying supporters and their reasoning for being involved in owning a football club I would have to disagree.

City and their owners for example have political motivations behind owning that club "sportswashing" as people say.

Our owners have financial motivations for themselves in terms of building property and creating a long term investment with minimal risk to their financial footing with no regards for the success the club has or the happiness of the legacy supporters.

Both in my eyes are in this business for the wrong reasons and both reasons harm the supporters long term.

I think I would rather get relegated and have someone in charge who loves the club and puts the business of football first and foremost than have either of those realities.

If that was the case THEN I think we would have a moral highground to stand on.

Our owners are just a different flavour of capitalist corruption.

My point is that whilst we might not have anywhere near as much blood on our money the reality is our owners are only in this for themselves and not for the supporters, not for the fans, in the same way that the City owners are, only difference being is that their fans can ignore all the horrific shit because they have titles to celebrate and that "makes it all better."

Morally I find the way these companies do business all the same, the fans are an afterthought so my point is, we don't have a moral high ground and we aren't "doing things the right way" as many people believe.

The only difference between our owners and the City owners comes down to political and social differences in attitudes towards the world.

So sure, we can be proud that our owners aren't murdering people or participating in any of the things you have listed above but in terms of the business of football does that give us moral superiority? No, it doesn't imo because our actual business model in terms of the treatment towards fans is just as corrupt as theirs.

So ENIC are free-spending sports-washers?

........Now that is a plot twist!

Wanna try a-g-a-i-n?

Fair enough. I accept that anecdotal evidence indicates it never happened. I stand corrected.

Sorry posted my reply without finishing it but edited and complete it now. You don't have to accept my evidence, I didn't provide any. You just have to prove that Salman murders women and homosexual as a matter of policy.

There is much to criticise him for but murdering people for being Saudi women or homosexuals is probably not one of them. Willing to be corrected if there's any evidence.

Sorry posted my reply without finishing it but edited and complete it now. You don't have to accept my evidence, I didn't provide any. You just have to prove that Salman murders women and homosexual as a matter of policy.

There is much to criticise him for but murdering people for being Saudi women or homosexuals is probably not one of them. Willing to be corrected if there's any evidence.

A 30 second Google.

Interesting take. An Investment Company are on a par with a country that employs slaves, abuses human rights, stones rape victims to deaths and kills homosexuals.
You learn something new every day.
I never said any of that, the footnote was that our money may be soaked in blood a little less but that doesn't mean we are morally superior.

Like I said in another post, our owners corruption is just a different flavour.

If we are talking about socially and politically then yes, our owners are morally superior, obviously.

In terms of the pure business of football and how the owners operate towards the paying supporters I don't think there is any difference personally.

Anybody who thinks ENIC and Levy have morals are delusional.

They represent everything wrong with football, they have turned our club into a shell, they focus more on commercial revenue and events and property than they do on the actual football operations, they have a disdain for legacy supporters and have ripped the soul out of the club.

We are everything Man City are without the trophies, we have no divine right to lord ourselves over other clubs like we are morally superior other than the fact that our money may be soaked in blood a little less, that's it.
Agree with some of this and I want enic and levy gone but, what our owners dont do is commit human rights abuses like the owners of citeh and Newcastle.

Sure , the Harrods owner, Al Fayad always seemed like a very decent Arab guy. Terrible what the royal family did to his son. Im sure theres plenty of other rich arabs too who arent part of their terrible governments.
Didn’t he bribe MPs to ask questions in Parliament on his behalf?
Neil Hamilton?

The people that are happy for or actively want a nation like Saudi Arabia to buy Spurs should just hold their hands up and admit they don't care about the human rights abuses and attrocities because trophies are more important.

Rather than start the 'what about ENIC', 'what about the Tories' deflection to try and justify their viewpoint.

Just be honest and say, 'actually, I just don't give a fuck'.
Nail on head sir

So ENIC are free-spending sports-washers?

........Now that is a plot twist!

Wanna try a-g-a-i-n?

I wasn't talking about business, I was talking about socially and politically.

The City owners only spend the way they do because it is politically beneficial for them to do so, they don't spend because they enjoy football or care about the fans.

The business model is the same in regards to the attitude towards legacy fans and paying supporters.

The difference being is that ENIC don't need to spend money in order to be politically and socially beneficial, they are already very comfortable in the western capitalist and social system and have no need to try and wash away human rights abuses, systemic homophobia and the other heinous shit those regimes partake in.

However, their goal is the same in regards to pure business which is doing what benefits THEM rather than what benefits the supporters.

Back
Top Bottom