The entire Saudi Arabian soverign, population and government.. AKA Newcastle (A) 1630KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you wrote about Romero's pros and cons well, but is Dier really our second best defender?

He makes too many errors imo, a bit like Sanchez.
What about having Rodon next to Romero?
Dier ball watches like Sanchez and there’s always a brain fart coming like yesterday

Score line totally flattered the Toon

that's bloody lucky. Good on him. Glad our players understood the severity. Sounds like St Johns were on the scene quickly and had their own defib.

I was snowboarding with a family in France when a friends Dad collapsed. First person on the scene was a French cardiologist on a day off. Without him my friends Dad would have been dead.
What are the chances of that!!!!

I've watched the first one a few times. Have to give credit to Wilson for the movement, it was very, very clever to hide behind Romero and then get around him in the time it took the cross to come in. Dier was still marking no one though. He was, as he often is, stranded in no mans land and not really adding to anything.
As for the 2nd, whether Romero missed it or not isn't important when Dier tried to head the ball, failed, fell over and kneed it into the goal like a complete pleb,
I thought Son was hugely culpable in the first goal.

Reggie was left with a 2 on 1 overlap because Son doesn’t track Manquillo (I believe) back.

2nd goal was just one of those things.

Overall, very decent performance.

Not this season he hasn't. And I'd argue that under the dinosaur all of our defenders were given an impossible job given how reactive he had us play. We are still a work in progress too, so games like Woolwich for example was a clusterfuck by the manager, not a specific player one (although with the exception of Skipp?? it can't be claimed any player was good).
I still feel there are too many goals we concede where Dier is in a good position but just freezes, and stands still as strikers get beyond him. Happened vs Woolwich this season.

Also I think you're too lenient on him with the analysis of the OG. Romero does miss the jump, but he should position his body in such a way that any touch doesn't go straight in the back of the net. Being very harsh, he also should have done better with the block vs Kante's goal (instead it deflected in).

Way too much emphasis was put on how the defence played last year when our attack didn't press and just dropped into a low or mid-block that even then stood off oppo and didn't look to engage.
True.

I've seen every one of Rodon games, I don't get him at all. He looks completely out of his depth, just providing the last ditched blocks. On the ball, he looks so uncomposed and panicked.
But he seems to be able to produce the last ditch blocks when needed. That's my impression for him for Wales too, in key moments he rescues his teams.
Are you saying that the reason he needs the blocks to be last ditch is that he's making a mistake in the first place? That's possible, but I'd need to see more evidence.

I still feel there are too many goals we concede where Dier is in a good position but just freezes, and stands still as strikers get beyond him. Happened vs Woolwich this season.

Also I think you're too lenient on him with the analysis of the OG. Romero does miss the jump, but he should position his body in such a way that any touch doesn't go straight in the back of the net. Being very harsh, he also should have done better with the block vs Kante's goal (instead it deflected in).

True.

But he seems to be able to produce the last ditch blocks when needed. That's my impression for him for Wales too, in key moments he rescues his teams.
Are you saying that the reason he needs the blocks to be last ditch is that he's making a mistake in the first place? That's possible, but I'd need to see more evidence.
I wouldn't look to any individual in the Woolwich game, that was all on Nuno and for me at least just reemphasises just how important our shape/style/plan is (and why it was shite under the dinosaur) rather than individuals (that part comes later once a platform and identity of play are established - some players profiles will fit that, whilst others will not).

We'll agree to disagree on the 2nd goal, it's simply unlucky and not incompetent and Romero has to head it if he's claiming for it as he did.

But Dier and Romero and/or Sanchez have been putting in blocks too. No, not necessarily a "mistake" but to me, he is a completely reactive defender, he's a lampost and reacts to what an attacker is doing, he doesn't try to impose himself on that attacker by reading where the ball will go and then show him on to their weaker foot or show them down the line or even hold them up to slow an attack. He waits for the attacker to take the initiative, and as a consequence, it results in a last-ditch block or lunge. And then on the ball, he's like a rabbit in headlights a hoofer (I read a lot of stuff about him prior to his arrival and he was supposed to be good at bringing the ball out of defence and playing nice passes with his right whilst playing LCB was meant to open up the pitch better rather than telegraphing a diag, haven't seen anything of this at all. Massive disappointment).

We'll agree to disagree on the 2nd goal, it's simply unlucky and not incompetent and Romero has to head it if he's claiming for it as he did.
Look at what he did vs Chelsea too. I do think his reflexes should be better at changing his body position in the last second to ensure ball goes away from goal.

I wouldn't look to any individual in the Woolwich game, that was all on Nuno and for me at least just reemphasises just how important our shape/style/plan is
You're right but Nuno is to blame for that result as a whole, but are you saying that Dier doesn't have a problem with standing still in the box in key moments? Is it something he's getting better at?

He (Rodon) waits for the attacker to take the initiative, and as a consequence, it results in a last-ditch block or lunge.
But as long as Rodon is able to eventually make that block, the end result may be okay? Are there any goals you can point to where Rodon's lack of reactivity is to blame? From what you've said he seems like the opposite of Romero.

was insane, giving CPR on the slopes whilst others called for a chopper. Saw him into it, gave instructions to the medics , then put his gloves and helmet back on and carried on. Real hero

I've heard similar stories in the past..... Doctors and ski-ing holiday's seemingly go hand in hand (presumably richer pvt practitioners and surgeons) . :)

You need to choose your ski resort with greater care
Lmao Reaction GIF by Love Island

i wish the best for nuno. But looking at the comments youd think we had beaten chelsea or Woolwich. Saudi or no saudi, newcastle are utter piss and will probably be relegated and we managed to make them look good. If they had the quality to make something of their counters we’d have been in trouble. Sloppy defending. Mistakes. Still no shape.

A wins a win but fucking hell i forgot we were playing newcastle and not barcelona the way people are acting on here. 3-2 win agaisnt relegation fodder. What did we learn?

Back
Top Bottom