Vitesse Arnhem v Tottenham Hotspur 17:45 Thurs October 21st

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jury is still out on our summer signings for me

Yeh, I typically tend to advocate a review rather than getting too excited initially too.

None of them have come in and had an immediate impact on this team

But then again we aren’t targeting players that can come straight in and improve the starting 11 with minimum fuss

Romero & Emerson are absolutely intended to do that though.

The others (Gil, Sarr & Goll) are exactly the kind of moves I think we ought to have been making.... Young, high ceiling and all had at least a taste of the top level...... Buying the finished article version of those 3 would be most likely be £150m or more.

The major crime here was not bagging an additional goal-scorer. Ideally I'd have liked that to be a high grade RWF that would have helped both the first XI and our rotation options.

We’re going to break Scarlett are t we.

Poor kid
I’m not sure what would be best for him. If you send him to league 1 or 2 he’ll just get kicked up in the air 40 games a season.

Not good enough to get minutes in the champ from what I’ve seen.

Keep him in the U21’s/U23’s? I don’t think I know anyone who thinks that’s a good step between youth and mens football.

Keep him with the first team and hope we get to the last 10 minutes comfortably 2 goals up often enough to get him onto the pitch and getting experience?

The last option is what someone like Guardiola would do I’m sure. See Phil Foden as an example, and he’s just basically said the same for Cole Palmer I think.

Would be nice if our B team weren’t a complete disjointed, headless chicken/zero effort group so he could get plenty of useful, confidence building games instead of constantly feeling like he’s in a backs to the wall situation.

I tried to tell folk, we do not care about this tournament. The bloke has a two year contract ;the most he can hope for is to impress sufficiently that he gets a crack at the Villa job. His brief is not to sink the ship whilst the stadium revenue comes on stream: fluke a league cup, as Levy hopes like fuck Mrs Pochettino creates enough stink that Poch gives up and takes her back to London.

Histrionics aside (because in another conversation; something else will also be heralded as the worst thing evaaar... again... and again); yes...... No ST takes a major dump over what was otherwise good work in the window this summer.

Bwahahahahaha

Jury is still out on our summer signings for me

None of them have come in and had an immediate impact on this team

But then again we aren’t targeting players that can come straight in and improve the starting 11 with minimum fuss

Jury being out is kind it was a shit window.

-Zero creativity in MF despite us desperately needing it
-One CB brought in when we needed at least 2
-Mediocre (and that is being kind) RB brought in with either Doherty or Tanganga out of position being our back-up option
-no RW brought in
-no striker

Even if Romero, Emerosn and Gil turn out it was a shit window.

We still have a starting 11 with dogshit like Dier and Moura starting and having to hope that Ndombele cares that day and 20 year old Skipp can have flawless games everytime as he adapts to the PL.

Seriously, this could be a major problem. Things like this could destroy his full confidence and this game time isn't helping him or the team. He needs a loan somewhere with more regular time and not so much of a spotlight on him.
Hopefully he'll get one once he turns 18. If we get a striker in in January he could possibly get one by then already.

Imagine going from Paredes and De Paul to Winks and Dele as your midfield support. Depressing.

Not having this 'Woe is Gio' narrative that's creeping in....

If all our MFs are so shit, he should be able to nail a starting spot no problem.

He's being kept out of the squad by PEH, Skipp, Ndombele, Lucas and for a while Dele.........

Laughable competition that we clearly have no interest in and I’m ok with that.
Next PL games coul make or break Nuno, why risk injuries?

didnt even watch the game and im glad i didnt, winks and dele starting together! dont matter who the opposition is and who they have as team mates its going to be a stinker! they suck the spirit out of a side with their shitness. i just worry about keep playing the likes of gil with them two muppets, they could ruin his confidence.

Not having this 'Woe is Gio' narrative that's creeping in....

If all our MFs are so shit, he should be able to nail a starting spot no problem.

He's being kept out of the squad by PEH, Skipp, Ndombele, Lucas and for a while Dele.........
Who said all our MFs are so shit? Winks and Dele are.

Gio's absence was in large part due to the South American fiasco/injuries not about his quality.

He is never a right winger and he shouldn't be stuck out there.

Not saying he's been great for us but when you see what he does regularly for Argentina you should want that at Spurs.

He offers better ball progression than Skipp and PEH but is worse defensively. Nuno is going with a solid two sitting for now and it's working but I see Gio getting in there soon enough.

No matter individual players quality, teams we face have literally their biggest game of the season against and are drilled to play together. We field B team, kids and players perhaps not even in Nunos long term plans. What do you expect?
Likely we still smash them at home and progress but any league game means so much more now, particularly next one.

And there are games in the lesser cups where you sometimes run up against a truly amateurish side where the game is a joke played in bad facilities in front of few people where you understand some of the criticism. (Though even that can have its charms a la Marine AFC)

But when you start characterizing clubs like Vitesse like that, it just reveals a really gross arrogance and insularity.

A good Vitesse side played well in front of a great crowd tonight, and our lack of effort is our problem not theirs.
I think you misunderstand my point... Vitesse Arnhem ARE a great club.
Apart from the big 3 in Holland, they are up there with the traditional, well supported clubs, with a proud history - Not dissimilar to us you could say - which is why THEM caring about a trophy we seemingly have disdain for makes them a class above us!

If we DARE take this competition seriously, some would have you believe it makes us small time .. but it's good enough for a club with the history and tradition of Vitesse Arnhem... So why not us? Why are WE so above such a competition?

It was a slur on OUR disdain at virtually having to be forced to lower ourselves to participate in this Comp. ...not Vitesse's obvious delight in taking part!

Back
Top Bottom