Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was thinking along lines of cost to chelsea of replacing managers/players V gain they make from being in top 2/3 over that time
against what we have done over the same time

When? Liverpool look set with Klopp for years, and even when he goes I'd wager at Gerrard replacing him over someone like Potter. Chelsea are also very happy with Tuchel, Guardiola is going nowhere and if he does City aren't replacing him with Potter. United? More likely, but still see a Conte/Zidane as their type of guys.

The top 4 jobs are closed off for the foreseeable. Maybe Potter would reject us if we offered what I said, but I'd bet money that if we actually offered him a promising position rather than the poisoned chalice we gave Nuno, he'd give it a go.

Anyhow, this is the Kane thread so probably not the place. But upon selling Kane we need to finally be heading in the right direction, or all we'll achieve is people will find another scapegoat..

Deuterz Deuterz

Firstly, I accept right off the bat Potter lacks in terms of name-value.

However; in terms of the top 4 jobs being "closed" for the foreseeable:

Chavs: Roman's axe is NEVER too far away.... And Tuchel's proven to not be shy of a bust-up either.

Man U: Two parts to this. Firstly Conte & ZZ are both potentially combustible and possibly short-term. Secondly, look at the profile of what 'Project Ole' is and more importantly what they obviously hoped it would amount too.... Given their prior interest in Poch; don't you think that Poch 2.0 (sic) aka Potter could be a tempting prospect for them?

City: I've no doubt they'll keep Pep as long as he's willing to stay, but numerous times over the last 2 years, he's made curious noises about breaks, retirement etc. Also, although likely pretty hollow at this stage; Potter is begining to be whispered about in the press with regard to being PGs eventual successor.

Dippers: Gerrard factor accepted, but who knows... Things could go south for him in the meantime. Jürgen Klopp plans sabbatical when Liverpool contract is up in 2024

......Who knows how high Potters stock will rise over the next 6-12 months?

As cliched as it is to say; things change and yes, indeed, that could include Potter's outlook too.... I shan't deny that possibility.

My position in the other thread was to - for now - simply to heed the most concrete thing that we do know.

Last edited:
I was thinking along lines of cost to chelsea of replacing managers/players V gain they make from being in top 2/3 over that time
against what we have done over the same time

As you previously noted; their youth system will have undoubtedly played a part; both in terms of Mount, Reece James and one or two others + also a LOT of sales revenue.

Worth noting that they've been found guilty of youth recruitment breaches on (at least) two occasions now..... Pressumably this current wave of output benefited from said breaches..... Be interesting to see if they can keep this productivity up moving forward.....

Happy Premier League GIF by Prime Video

And we're back in the game. Nah boys Its sadly simple Daniel Levy loves his EX. His Ex's wife loves London. The EX don't like Leonardo but quite likes Mbappe Messi Neymar over George Kevin N'kudu....He wants a wirl round the circuit with the Ferrari whilst the security of his Volvo is being flapped at by :nunoteeth:a bloke trying to pay of a debt. Another 14 months and he can go. By which time the :pochunimpressed:gets his car back. Which leaves your boy in Briton thumbing for a ride on the A23

Deuterz Deuterz

Firstly, I accept right off the bat Potter lacks in terms of name-value.

However; in terms of the top 4 jobs being "closed" for the foreseeable:

Chavs: Roman's axe is NEVER too far away.... And Tuchel's proven to not be shy of a bust-up either.

Man U: Two parts to this. Firstly Conte & ZZ are both potentially combustible and possibly short-term. Secondly, look at the profile of what 'Project Ole' is and more importantly what they obviously hoped it would amount too.... Given their prior interest in Poch; don't you think that Poch 2.0 (sic) aka Potter could be a tempting prospect for them?

City: I've no doubt they'll keep Pep as long as he's willing to stay, but numerous times over the last 2 years, he's made curious noises about breaks, retirement etc. Also, although likely pretty hollow at this stage; Potter is begining to be whispered about in the press with regard to being PGs eventual successor.

Dippers: Gerrard factor accepted, but who knows... Things could go south for him in the meantime. Jürgen Klopp plans sabbatical when Liverpool contract is up in 2024

......Who knows how high Potters stock will rise over the next 6-12 months?

As cliched as it is to say; things change and yes, indeed, that could include Potter's outlook too.... I shan't deny that possibility.

My position in the other thread was to - for now - simply to heed the most concrete thing that we do know.

I think your assessment of all these teams shows exactly why Potter may consider us. None of these jobs are even close to guarantees, there is no telling how long he'll have to wait. And if he ends up stagnating at Brighton (very possible) they won't even be interested. Right now if he's offered the chance to manage us with a huge budget and we give him a wage, I don't see that being turned down. What we've probably offered him is a similar budget to Nuno (I.e pathetic) and little power to do anything major.

And even if we dismiss Potter, there are other managers. Parker in the summer would be gettable while we go for a caretaker now. Fonseca looks like he might go to Newcastle but I'd take him over Nuno as well. There's a whole bunch of managers in Europe out there who are decent coaches and who will give us a more progressive style of football which the fans don't turn on within a couple of weeks.

....And even if we dismiss Potter, there are other managers. Parker in the summer would be gettable while we go for a caretaker now. Fonseca looks like he might go to Newcastle but I'd take him over Nuno as well. There's a whole bunch of managers in Europe out there who are decent coaches and who will give us a more progressive style of football which the fans don't turn on within a couple of weeks.

Of course there are other managers apart from Nuno (I certainly have no attachment to him). That's the part of the discussion that interests me the most... That; how available they are and most of all, what their goal should be for them if hired. To be brutally honest, I find the whole "anyone but Nuno" attitude rather purile.... Especially with names like Dyche, Howe, Arteta & Rafa being tossed about.

I've asked the same question in a number of threads now, but what would be the goal for any quick-fix or place-holder boss people are suggesting:

.....6th and a cup?
.....9th and slightly better looking football?
....A few months of rest-bite from Nuno and then thown to the dogs in anticipation of the next bloke?

I don't know myself, but "Waaaah! Bin Nuno; his beard is shit!!!" is the easy part.

I genuinely think Mason did a better job in his short stint than Nuno has done so far. At this point, I'd prefer to sack Nuno, put Mason in charge and then try and make a proper job of things in the summer.

I do fear though, that Levy has become incapable of making a good football decision. Maybe Uncle Joe could give Levy the boot and really try and reboot the club. I can't see it though.

I genuinely think Mason did a better job in his short stint than Nuno has done so far. At this point, I'd prefer to sack Nuno, put Mason in charge and then try and make a proper job of things in the summer.

I do fear though, that Levy has become incapable of making a good football decision. Maybe Uncle Joe could give Levy the boot and really try and reboot the club. I can't see it though.
Lewis couldn’t care less if we are a winning team or not. Levy makes him too much money

Of course there are other managers apart from Nuno (I certainly have no attachment to him). That's the part of the discussion that interests me the most... That; how available they are and most of all, what their goal should be for them if hired. To be brutally honest, I find the whole "anyone but Nuno" attitude rather purile.... Especially with names like Dyche, Howe, Arteta & Rafa being tossed about.

I've asked the same question in a number of threads now, but what would be the goal for any quick-fix or place-holder boss people are suggesting:

.....6th and a cup?
.....9th and slightly better looking football?
....A few months of rest-bite from Nuno and then thown to the dogs in anticipation of the next bloke?

I don't know myself, but "Waaaah! Bin Nuno; his beard is shit!!!" is the easy part.

Significantly better football and see where it takes us. Won't be hard, we're barely above relegation standard when it comes to chance creation stats. A manager who can come in for the rest of the season and get the team pressing and looking like we're coached in an attacking sense. Where we finish is partly down to how other teams perform, I'm not interest in arbitrary league targets.

Anyone but Nuno isn't purile, it's just sense. He was a pointless appointment from the start and the longer he stays here the longer we waste on him rather than getting somebody who wants to play football that the fans deserve, which is not hit and hope Dier long balls as our primary creative force.

Back
Top Bottom