Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier
Winks
Dele
Davies

All present and all booed and slated.

Now add

Bergwijn

Two more players pending on the "get out my Club" boo list
Ndombele & Lo Celso

This is what elite coaches do and this isn't a surprise in the slightest.
Conte is elite. He knows the players you listed will not get this club to where he and the fans want to be. Because he is elite he is improving them with his motivation and methods but this only works short term with inferior players. Conte will be desperate to bring in new blood in Jan and next summer.

Dier
Winks
Dele
Davies

All present and all booed and slated.

Now add

Bergwijn

Two more players pending on the "get out my Club" boo list
Ndombele & Lo Celso

This is what elite coaches do and this isn't a surprise in the slightest.
Dier was quite crap today though. Made some really bad mistakes going to back to his usual self.

To be fair Dier wasnt that good even with Poch when his crutch left the club to play in China. Actually had to give up being a midfielder and moved to CB where his lack of agility and awareness caused him(and us) even more problems. Hes only very recently had a couple of decent games since Conte has arrived, I wouldnt get too carried away just yet. Just like how Davies makes goal conceding errors then has a decent game where he doesnt f-up and again vs Liverpool another blunder.

Conte's already made a difference( albeit just 1 game so far) in Winks , I wouldnt be surprised if he coached others to be better as well.

Dembele made the whole team better, but that's a very unfair (and inaccurate) portrayal of Dier's curve under Poch....

14/15 - RB/DM/CB - Utility man, basically
(Mason/Bentaleb was the closest we had to a regular MF duo)
15/16 - DM w/Dembele
16/17 - RCB w/Toby/Jan (Wanyama was DM)
18/19 - Wrecked by injury/illness (Midfield was usually a mix of Eriksen/Dele/Winks/Sissoko; whilst Dembele was gone in Jan.)
19/20 - As a result of the previous horror year; desperately out of condition/form and struggled since.

He always used to have a rick of a pass in him, but he was one of Poch's go-to guys when we were at our best and was racking up 45/50 games per season until his horror season 18/19. He was also often used as a conduit for us being able to fluidly switch between 3421 & 4231 througout the 90m.

(No; this isn't me saying he's Beckenbauer from here on in.)

Last edited:
Dembele made the whole team better, but that's a very unfair (and inaccurate) portrayal of Dier's curve under Poch....

14/15 - RB/DM/CB - Utility man, basically
(Mason/Bentaleb was the closest we had to a regular MF duo)
15/16 - DM w/Dembele
16/17 - RCB w/Toby/Jan (Wanyama was DM)
18/19 - Wrecked by injury/illness (Midfield was usually a mix of Eriksen/Dele/Winks/Sissoko)
19/20 - As a result of the previous horror year; desperately out of condition/form and struggled since.

He always used to have a rick of a pass in him, but he was one of Poch's go-to guys when we were at our best and was racking up 45/50 games per season until his horror season 18/19. He was also often used as a conduit for us being able to fluidly switch between 3421 & 4231 througout the 90m.

(No; this isn't me saying he's Beckenbauer from here on in.)
I dont have the willingness to verify that far back. But the last 2-3 years or so and even now he's as unreliable as it get. A bad f-up is just round the corner like we saw again today (twice).

I dont have the willingness to verify that far back.

Trust me.... Your Dembele shtick is way off the mark.

But the last 2-3 years or so and even now he's as unreliable as it get. A bad f-up is just round the corner like we saw again today (twice).

This much I have acknowledged above to a degree... He had some better performances at times last season (so did Dav!), but he needs to knit together a consistent run.

(I saw virtually none of the 1st half tonight, but I understand he screwed up a pass for their goal.)

Despite his recent solid performances, he still has that horrendous fuck-up in him (a truly terrible and costly pass tonight). I'll never fully trust the guy sadly and hope we get to the stage where we are so strong he struggles to be a regular...

Just like Winks, Dele, Davies and Sanchez there will be no renaissance

We’ve seen all they have. The good and the bad.
The bad will soon become the dominant part of all their games

Bet you said the same about Harry Kane after his failed loan seasons .... Sammy knows right?
Yeah I did actually.
Difference is that Dier has been pkayjng first team football here for seven years, Dele about 6, and Winks and Sanchez about 5

But yes, compare them to basically Dane Scarletts situation, how smart.

I’m glad you feel that these players are the future, I’ve seen it all before.
Dier last night in a nutshell, did Dele touch the ball after his Liverpool “comeback”?

Joker

Yeah I did actually.
Difference is that Dier has been pkayjng first team football here for seven years, Dele about 6, and Winks and Sanchez about 5

But yes, compare them to basically Dane Scarletts situation, how smart.

I’m glad you feel that these players are the future, I’ve seen it all before.
Dier last night in a nutshell, did Dele touch the ball after his Liverpool “comeback”?

Point is Sammy you can't say for sure what a player will be like next week, let alone next month or next year. Dier is a quality player who has played mostly out of position for three years - no question he has a mistake in him, show me a player that hasn't, but spending 50/60m on a CB gamble in the hope that we will find a better leader/player/teammate? Not convinced that's the way to go.

Central Defenders are at their best aged 28-31, don't forget Dier is only 28 next month ... he may prove us all wrong yet. I for one hope he does, he's approaching 300 games for Spurs he deserves more respect.

Point is Sammy you can't say for sure what a player will be like next week, let alone next month or next year. Dier is a quality player who has played mostly out of position for three years - no question he has a mistake in him, show me a player that hasn't, but spending 50/60m on a CB gamble in the hope that we will find a better leader/player/teammate? Not convinced that's the way to go.

Central Defenders are at their best aged 28-31, don't forget Dier is only 28 next month ... he may prove us all wrong yet. I for one hope he does, he's approaching 300 games for Spurs he deserves more respect.
I was defending Dier for years on here, but I’m not going to pretend he should be spearheading our defence if we want to challenge on a serious level

No matter how well Dier plays, there’s always a moment like last night lurking around the corner.

Basing our transfer strategy around a new manager bounce is a ludicrous idea

I was defending Dier for years on here, but I’m not going to pretend he should be spearheading our defence if we want to challenge on a serious level

No matter how well Dier plays, there’s always a moment like last night lurking around the corner.

I think there’s a difference between supporters being pleased about our underperformers putting in good performances and it bearing significantly on our transfer policy.

Conte and Paratici will have their plans in place regardless of a few good performances here or there. They’ll know what they want and Conte won’t by shy about demanding it. On the other hand, I’d say there’s basically no chance we get more than two new players in January because it’s January. So every decent performance we can wring out of potential future sales is useful for the team and important to raise transfer value.

Having said that, I think Dier is a cut above some of the obvious future sales and at worst will stay as rotation CB.

I think there’s a difference between supporters being pleased about our underperformers putting in good performances and it bearing significantly on our transfer policy.

Conte and Paratici will have their plans in place regardless of a few good performances here or there. They’ll know what they want and Conte won’t by shy about demanding it. On the other hand, I’d say there’s basically no chance we get more than two new players in January because it’s January. So every decent performance we can wring out of potential future sales is useful for the team and important to raise transfer value.

Having said that, I think Dier is a cut above some of the obvious future sales and at worst will stay as rotation CB.
That’s fair enough, I’m pleased for him more than anyone.
I just it it a bit rich that the people who abused him for years, even when he was playing as well as he is now, are all gooey eyed just because it’s not Jose or Nuno in charge

Not sure those two things go together - Conte will have transfer plans, only he knows what he wants but selling Dier is almost certainly not a priority - our transfer strategy is based on need / availability / price and future value ... pretty much the same as everyone else.

Fo what it's worth I think Conte will focus on a striker, another defensive midfield player and a top quality attacking midfield player.

Depending on who he can get in will depend on who leaves - pretty much any player could be sold with a like-for-like player who Conte preferes coming in - that probably depends on who Paratici can get.

Should we swap Dier for an unproven European CB, probably not, and that leaves just EPL players and I very much doubt we could get a better player this January (if at all)

Get in a top quality striker and swap Ndombele for a top quality midfield player - that would be a good window for me. Dier for me he's better than OK, even last night's 'moment' required a horribly miss hit shot and a great piece of individual skill to cost us a goal, sometimes shit happens.

You got to remember, when a defender makes a mistake it can lead to conseeding and its remembered but if an attacking played fluffs a chance its easily forgotten.
Dier made a mistake, led to a goal.
Son's first touch was awful, didn't get his shot off, didn't score.

Back
Top Bottom