Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I said this early on with GLC and no one agreed with me. I'm saying it now with Romero now and no one will agree with it...

If we haven't already handed over a fuck ton of money, we should be looking to get out of this loan to buy.
These 2 players are proving to be utterly unreliable. There doesn't appear to be any kind of loyalty to Spurs. You couldn't imagine either kissing or hitting the badge with pride. In fact, I'd half expect GLC to have an Argentina tat on his wrist to kiss, snidey little cunt.
Fucking Argies, eh?
What good have they ever been to us?
Ricky-Villa-goal-1981-fa-cup-final-vs-manchester-city.jpg
:ossie:
We started the trend remember...?
This is ALL on us!

Again, maybe not the best precedent to set if we're trying to lure "world class" talent.

IMO, Spurs should be all English, Home-Grown players who refuse to play for the national team, and must perform a Thelemic Sex-Magick ritual with Levy and/or Levy's brother-in-law (the mole) on The Dare SkyWalk™ upon promotion from the Academy.

Like Bilbao.

Or Chivas.

Or Celtic.

:levyeyes:

Eh, it’s a pretty unique situation. 99.9% of the time I’d agree that you have to let the player go, but we have a strong argument for not wanting to rush his recovery so he can go play dead rubbers.

Other clubs players suddenly pick up little niggles before NT duty all the time if it’s national league/friendly fixtures. It isn’t key games he’d be rushing himself back for.

Again, maybe not the best precedent to set if we're trying to lure "world class" talent.

IMO, Spurs should be all English, Home-Grown players who refuse to play for the national team, and must perform a Thelemic Sex-Magick ritual with Levy and/or Levy's brother-in-law (the mole) on The Dare SkyWalk™ upon promotion from the Academy.

Like Bilbao.

Or Chivas.

Or Celtic.

Interested to know why celtic is in there??

There’s no way he’s rushing back and risking re-injury to play a dead rubber for Argentina, Conte and his team would not allow that.

The only way we can influence this is to protract his recovery program so that we can prove he's not FULLY fit in time. We can't declare him unfit unless the player concurs.... That's ultimately for the Arg. FA to test and declare (or otherwise).

People have got way too carried away based on one clickbait headline.

....Or the way they essentially told the club to fuck off and subsequently got quarantined back in October?

Last edited:
....Or the way they essentially told the club to fuck off and subsequently got quarantined back in October?
We've gotten carried away based on about two years of horseshit with GLC.

Okay let me debunk all these issues in one post:

1/
October 2021 quarantine issue-
Let's say Messi was English and had never won the World Cup, but had his last chance in 2022 albeit a very difficult qualifying group. We would all expect our starting CM and CB to sacrifice anything to help the cause.
If they didn't, we would say they're not patriotic true Englishmen, 'game is all about money these days' etc.

2/
GLC injuries are frustrating- but ppl r using the October debacle to claim that injuries are evidence he doesn't give a shit about Spurs and only wants to get fit for his country.
That ignores the fact that in Copa America: he got injured for some crucial K/O matches, and was protected by being subbed off at minute 60 (so it's not like he has lower pain tolerance/ exaggerates injuries when with Spurs).

GLC also works hard when on the pitch for Spurs , and there's been no complaints about his attitude in training unlike Ndombele.
I agree that he hasn't been good enough, and we should sell him if we get a good bid, but agenda against him is silly.

3/
Some people are now saying Romero should be sold. Based on what? Point 1/ above and the fact he's had an injury.
Not only is he our best CB, but we are unlikely to buy anyone with his potential. Serie A defender of the season and Copa America team of the tournament.

Okay let me debunk all these issues in one post:

1/
October 2021 quarantine issue-
Let's say Messi was English and had never won the World Cup, but had his last chance in 2022 albeit a very difficult qualifying group. We would all expect our starting CM and CB to sacrifice anything to help the cause.
If they didn't, we would say they're not patriotic true Englishmen, 'game is all about money these days' etc.

This neglects to consider the covid factor which is central to the whole scenario.... It's an extenuating circumstance. A new employee ought to be trying to endear himself to his new employer.

Slice it how you like; the way it played out was a bad look.

2/
GLC injuries are frustrating- but ppl r using the October debacle to claim that injuries are evidence he doesn't give a shit about Spurs and only wants to get fit for his country.
That ignores the fact that in Copa America: he got injured for some crucial K/O matches, and was protected by being subbed off at minute 60 (so it's not like he has lower pain tolerance/ exaggerates injuries when with Spurs).

GLC also works hard when on the pitch for Spurs , and there's been no complaints about his attitude in training unlike Ndombele.
I agree that he hasn't been good enough, and we should sell him if we get a good bid, but agenda against him is silly.

Addressed this before... I don't think players fake injury and all that kind of stuff, but they can (and do) suffer from 'Sturridge syndrome'. It's also the feeling that Gio (and now - reflecting on the above tweet - Romero) prioritise their return to fitness being about Arg rather than us.

So, it may not show the same training ground issues as TN but it leaves people similarly questioning his commitment.

3/
Some people are now saying Romero should be sold. Based on what? Point 1/ above and the fact he's had an injury.
Not only is he our best CB, but we are unlikely to buy anyone with his potential. Serie A defender of the season and Copa America team of the tournament.

Well, we don't own him yet; but I have said previously (before his injury!) that I don't think we should pony up on the £50m option to buy unless we've had a genuinely impressive season out of him.

So far.... A couple of very good games... A few iffy ones.... A significant injury (which may further plague him even after return) and the covid quarantine thing..... These things add up to him needing to have very impressive 2nd half of the season......

If he doesn't return til Feb, goes straight on int. duty; then returns and struggles futher with fitness, only to the go back on int. duty in March then he's gonna have to be pretty fucking good in the last 2 months of the season to prove himself as worth such a big fee.

Last edited:
This neglects to consider the covid factor which is central to the whole scenario.... It's an extenuating circumstance. A new employee ought to be trying to endear himself to his new employer.

Slice it how you like; that way it played out was a bad look.
It's a bad look- but in reality if this was an English player we would all expect him to do what he could to help us qualify even considering the Covid restrictions.

Addressed this before... I don't think players fake injury and all that kind of stuff, but they can (and do) suffer from 'Sturridge syndrome'. It's also the feeling that Gio (and now - reflecting on the above tweet - Romero) prioritise their return to fitness being about Arg rather than us.
There's no actual evidence that either of them prioritise injury prevention in order to be fit for Argentina rather than Spurs.
I also don't extrapolate from that tweet yesterday about Romero. Given how closely Conte analyses fitness etc., Romero would not escape his wrath if he didn't follow the medics' protocol on injury rehabilitation in order to accelerate it.

I don't think we should pony up on the £50m option to buy unless we've had a genuinely impressive season out of him.
According to this logic we would have not bought Son. He is a class player and may take a season to adjust to PL.

If he doesn't return til Feb, goes straight on int. duty; then returns and struggles futher with fitness, only to the go back on int. duty in March that he's gonna have to be pretty fucking good in the last 2 months of the season to have proven himself as worth such a big fee.
If there's a Covid quarantine period and he misses Spurs games to prioritise dead rubbers for Argentina, it would raise massive questions about his commitment to the club. However, we shouldn't pre-empt this, let's see what happens.

It's a bad look- but in reality if this was an English player we would all expect him to do what he could to help us qualify even considering the Covid restrictions.

I'm lookin at this from a Spurs point of view... Much like the club would. Like I said, there are better ways to endear yourself to your new employer.....

Perhaps he doesn't care very much whether his deal is made permanent or not?

Who knows.

There's no actual evidence that either of them prioritise injury prevention in order to be fit for Argentina rather than Spurs.
I also don't extrapolate from that tweet yesterday about Romero. Given how closely Conte analyses fitness etc., Romero would not escape his wrath if he didn't follow the medics' protocol on injury rehabilitation in order to accelerate it.

If it's all one big coincidence then fine.... Ultimately I'm not overtly concerned whether it's a conspiracy or not.... Again, for a Spurs perspective, in either case I'm just seeking a high quality player who is available when we need them.

According to this logic we would have not bought Son. He is a class player and may take a season to adjust to PL.

Not really... Son was never on an 'option deal'.

Gio was however (topical coincidence!)..... Despite initial feelings on his hinted ability; I'm sure many would happily turn back the clock and not buy him if we could now.

If there's a Covid quarantine period and he misses Spurs games to prioritise dead rubbers for Argentina, it would raise massive questions about his commitment to the club. However, we shouldn't pre-empt this, let's see what happens.

The concern I've cited moving fwd isn't about covid......

It's the fact that IF Arg & Romero decide to, he can be called up and there's little we can do about it even if we have our own concerns about his recovery. IF their docs deem him fit enough (which is always a grey area driven by the will of the player) then we have to suck eggs even if we think further rehab would be far more beneficial for him with regarad to the remainder of the season.

Perhaps he doesn't care very much whether his deal is made permanent or not?
There's no evidence for this.
I think all patriotic people would do what he did over the Covid Argentina issue. He agreed to play one game but missed another.

Not really... Son was never on an 'option deal'.
That's not the point. I'm just saying it's wrong in principle to judge a relatively young player simply on his first season in the PL. We should take the option to buy him even if he is struggling to adjust- he is class and significantly better than any other CB we have or will likely be able to buy.

It's the fact that IF Arg & Romero decide to, he can be called up and there's little we can do about it even if we have our own concerns about his recovery.
This is speculation- let's see what happens. If he goes against Spurs' medical advice, Conte will be fuming so we will know about it.

There's no evidence for this.
I think all patriotic people would do what he did over the Covid Argentina issue. He agreed to play one game but missed another.

Very much the point of the word "perhaps" rather than a more definitive statement.

Like I said; "Who knows."

That's not the point.
I'm just saying it's wrong in principle to judge a relatively young player simply on his first season in the PL. We should take the option to buy him even if he is struggling to adjust- he is class and significantly better than any other CB we have or will likely be able to buy.

That is very much the point of an "option to buy". You have the option not to buy if the player sufficiently fails to impress....

Your outlook here merely portrays a fear of getting the decision wrong.

No guarantees; we both know this, but the club has a £50m decision to make.

This is speculation- let's see what happens. If he goes against Spurs' medical advice, Conte will be fuming so we will know about it.

No we don't know how the situ will play out (and of course pre-emptive decisions are un-necessary), but the rest is not speculation... That's exactly how the process works.

Q. If Conte is left "fuming" (as you have alluded to regarding a couple of the discussed scenarios); then are you still inclined to sign him regardless, purely on the strength of your former comments about his suggested quality?

If not, then you're more my side of the fence here than some of your comments suggest.

No guarantees; we both know this, but the club has a £50m decision to make.
Unless something very unexpected occurs, this will be a good use of £50m- I see no better CBs in the market.

Q. If Conte is left "fuming" (as you have alluded to regarding a couple of the discussed scenarios); then are you still inclined to sign him regardless, purely on the strength of your former comments about his suggested quality?

If not, then you're more my side of the fence here than some of your comments suggest.
Yes, if he's unprofessional to that extent- I wouldn't want us to take that option.
But I just see that as unlikely- from what I've read on him he seems to be professional and a fighter. People are extrapolating too much from the Argentina Covid situation which most patriotic players would do.

Unless something very unexpected occurs, this will be a good use of £50m- I see no better CBs in the market.

C'est la vie...

I say if we haven't even had a couple of months of top performances from him then signing him is a gamble we can't afford to take.

Expensive duds cripple this club..... See Gio, Ndombele, Soldado. We are not Utd, Chavs, RM etc.

Yes, if he's unprofessional to that extent- I wouldn't want us to take that option.
But I just see that as unlikely- from what I've read on him he seems to be professional and a fighter. People are extrapolating too much from the Argentina Covid situation which most patriotic players would do.

Personally, I'm more concern about the implication that his rehab is more focussed uopn returning for Arg than being fit for Spurs..... Hopefully, things prove differently.

Like Bilbao.

Or Chivas.

Or Celtic.

Im serious celtic buy players from everywhere not just an ethnic group so why lumped in there

I say if we haven't even had a couple of months of top performances from him then signing him is a gamble we can't afford to take.
If he gets a career ending injury, or is totally unprofessional, I can understand this view.

I think expecting top performances in the first season in PL for a youngster is a tough demand. People take time to adjust to PL.

Let's say he does take too much time to adjust so you therefore don't buy him. Which alternative CB do you think is better as part of a back 3?
It is a gamble we can afford to make- our fans pay insane money on stadium tickets etc. and ENIC make huge revenue- that should afford us enough to take a gamble on a potentially elite player.

Personally, I'm more concern about the implication that his rehab is more focussed uopn returning for Arg than being fit for Spurs..... Hopefully, things prove differently.
There's no evidence of this apart from a clickbait headline/tweet quoting an Argentinian journalist.

Back
Top Bottom