Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its unfair on the everyone to face him. Theyd be worried about tackling him. If something happens , they might get blamed. He should just chill now, and enjoy watching the sport, maybe coaching.

Daley Blind plays still...... What's the difference?

I don't think it's the wisest thing from his perspective (put your family first.... rich enough; time for something new) but if he insists on playing again, it's just a case of finding a league that will accept a player with his issues and a club that's of an appropriate level.....

TBH, I think most EPL clubs apart from the obvious big clubs would bite your arm off as long as any liabilities were ironed out in advance.

Honestly for arguments sake if he was fit and ready to go, would everyone here want him back or not?

I mean it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility given his old manager is now ours.

I'd personally be conflicted, at his best he was a hell of a player for us, but I also remember in his last season or so he played like he simply couldn't be bothered anymore and just wanted out which kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about him.
It’s hard to know how much if any blame he deserves for reaching the last year of his contract, at least 50% of it is Levy’s but if Eriksen and his agent weren’t candid about what it would take to re-sign him (in the end he was leaving come hell or high water) then they deserve some criticism too.

But as a player Eriksen conducted himself totally professionally throughout the whole thing. He wasn’t in great form (nor has he been since, even if he’s 100% physically we wouldn’t be signing 2016 Eriksen) but he went out and did his job and caused no trouble.

I’d welcome him back with open arms, not least because he’s still the type of player we sorely lack. On dead balls alone he’d improve us a ton.

It’s hard to know how much if any blame he deserves for reaching the last year of his contract, at least 50% of it is Levy’s but if Eriksen and his agent weren’t candid about what it would take to re-sign him (in the end he was leaving come hell or high water) then they deserve some criticism too.

But as a player Eriksen conducted himself totally professionally throughout the whole thing. He wasn’t in great form (nor has he been since, even if he’s 100% physically we wouldn’t be signing 2016 Eriksen) but he went out and did his job and caused no trouble.

I’d welcome him back with open arms, not least because he’s still the type of player we sorely lack. On dead balls alone he’d improve us a ton.

We were trying to convince him to stay since before the 2018(***) WC (remember the stories about Poch taking him out to diner in Denmark?)..... Perhaps he strung us along a little, but once he set him mind of his "new adventure" (copyright CE post-CL final); any smart man (or agent) knows the best way to maximise the amount of suitors is to run your deal down.

Ergo.... Not much we could have done about it; unless anyone is gonna pretend they wanted him sold summer 16/17 following our best ever PL season.

(***The summer when Kane & everyone else got their big pay bumps.)

We were trying to convince him to stay since before the 2018(***) WC (remember the stories about Poch taking him out to diner in Denmark?)..... Perhaps he strung us along a little, but once he set him mind of his "new adventure" (copyright CE post-CL final); any smart man (or agent) knows the best way to maximise the amount of suitors is to run your deal down.

Ergo.... Not much we could have done about it; unless anyone is gonna pretend they wanted him sold summer 16/17 following our best ever PL season.

(***The summer when Kane & everyone else got their big pay bumps.)
The idea that he wouldn’t have accepted a sale in order to maximize his value as a free agent is of course utter bollocks proven very simply by the fact that he DID in fact accept a sale in the end.

The trouble was that no market materialized for him in Summer 2019. Eriksen and Levy both were counting on him being off to Real or Barca for a hefty fee and they weren’t interested.

But between Eriksen, his agent, and Levy there should have been enough candor to make clear in Summer 2018 that a new contract was not part of the equation and it was time to sell up.

This emerging refrain that we couldn’t have sold our assets at peak value without upsetting the fans is so pathetic. Levy completely blew the Poch miracle, that’s all there is to it.

The idea that he wouldn’t have accepted a sale in order to maximize his value as a free agent is of course utter bollocks proven very simply by the fact that he DID in fact accept a sale in the end.

Ah, fuck my memory..... You're right in that respect. However, it still doesn't change the basic dynamic that less contract left = lower fee and lower fee is likely to = more interest.

The trouble was that no market materialized for him in Summer 2019. Eriksen and Levy both were counting on him being off to Real or Barca for a hefty fee and they weren’t interested.

Well if the rumour mill is to believed RM refused to even pay 50m that summer.

But between Eriksen, his agent, and Levy there should have been enough candor to make clear in Summer 2018 that a new contract was not part of the equation and it was time to sell up.

Should have, yes.... Which begs the question, why wouldn't CE have just told Poch he wasn't interested.... We had clearly been chasing him on a new deal for some time.

As you suggest; it's hardly fitting of the Levy stereo-type to let an asset devalue without a fight. Which still says to me that CEs camp were coy and happy to let the deal run down rather than get priced out of his fancied move.

This emerging refrain that we couldn’t have sold our assets at peak value without upsetting the fans is so pathetic.

Not "pathetic"......

Why is what I said not "pathetic"? .......Because I didn't say we "couldn't" sell them; my point was that no-one was calling for it at the time, so anyone claiming smarts in 2/3 years later is being a hindsight warrior.

All the obvious voices were whining and paranoid about Levy selling off all of Poch's favourite toys throughout the whole project.... Except it never happened.... The only one that got sold was Walker who rather than balls deep in our title challenge in 2016/2017 spent the run in dreaming of a move to City.

Levy completely blew the Poch miracle, that’s all there is to it.

In the context of a convo about CE; what does that even mean?

Not gonna get dragged into a Wah-Levy epic... It's been done to death and if people want to deny the financial implications of of our stadium project kicking into gear as Poch's team was peaking.... I'm past arguing about it.

This emerging refrain that we couldn’t have sold our assets at peak value without upsetting the fans is so pathetic. Levy completely blew the Poch miracle, that’s all there is to it.
Isn't their a story that Messi just didn't rate him? And let the Barca hierarchy know definitively he should not be brought ?

All the obvious voices were whining and paranoid about Levy selling off all of Poch's favourite toys throughout the whole project
That’s fine to say and of course true, but those people were wrong and moany cunts on the internet shouldn’t be dictating anything.

Selling our top stars and not reinvesting the money would have been unacceptable. But selling players for above their real value and reinvesting in well-scouted replacements is the only way then or now that this is ever going to work.

We blew it. Imagine if we had 300M of United’s money and they were trotting Dele, Dier and Toby out there.

I wonder if Levy will be tempted. Free transfer. Sold him 2 years ago. Very marketable move given Christian’s story. Would show the club in a very positive light.

Now that Jan’s penis is in Portugal. I wonder if he’d be willing to come back with his missus.

:harrysmile:

That’s fine to say and of course true, but those people were wrong and moany cunts on the internet shouldn’t be dictating anything.

You not get the distinct impression that Poch didn't want them sold though?

I certainly did.

Selling our top stars and not reinvesting the money would have been unacceptable. But selling players for above their real value and reinvesting in well-scouted replacements is the only way then or now that this is ever going to work.

Well if we can actually get our scouting in order again I'd feel a lot more relaxed about that prospect.

We blew it. Imagine if we had 300M of United’s money and they were trotting Dele, Dier and Toby out there.

100m each? Half that would be much closer..... Besides:

1. Dele was 22 at that point with the world at his feet. Dier was young too..... Theses aren't players perceived to be at their peak when United were sniffing about.

2. Seeing as Eriksen is at the core of this convo; it seems a bit comfy to omit him and shoot your shot using the 2 lads that didn't live up to promise instead.

Daley Blind plays still...... What's the difference?

I don't think it's the wisest thing from his perspective (put your family first.... rich enough; time for something new) but if he insists on playing again, it's just a case of finding a league that will accept a player with his issues and a club that's of an appropriate level.....

TBH, I think most EPL clubs apart from the obvious big clubs would bite your arm off as long as any liabilities were ironed out in advance.
I guess thats true. If I was to put myself in other players' shoes though, Id have a hard time treating him like a normal player and would have to go easier on him.

Doubt he will be ever be fit enough for the PL, don't know why he would want to jeopardize his future health. Although he could probably do a better job than our current options for a creative midfielder, this feels like a step backwards and not a wise move for the future.

Seeing as Eriksen is at the core of this convo; it seems a bit comfy to omit him and shoot your shot using the 2 lads that didn't live up to promise instead.
I don’t recall a crazy purported United bid for him but I may be misremembering.

They would have paid us heaven and earth for Dele.

Mbappe from Monaco to PSG is really the only nine figure transfer in history the selling club didn’t unambiguously win. The market has reached a place where it’s just objectively more than any single footballer is worth.

Last edited:

77249201f375efe5663c36bb1e630c9e07c5f39b.gif
brent-fingers.gif

Back
Top Bottom