Chavski Vs Tottenham - League Cup Semi Final (1st Leg) - Wed 5th Jan KO 7:45pm, live on SKY

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was the nature of the performance and not necessarily the score line itself. The players played like they expected to be beaten
They did, energy seems down, they have had a lot of games and I wonder if COVID has impacted some. It’s been through our house over Xmas, I tested negative but have noticed my output when exercising had dropped 5-8%. If something similar has happened to 4/5 players it’s going to have a big impact at this level. Really there should have been a break in the football season for two weeks, it should have been factored in before the season started. It was obvious there would be more issues this winter.

Groundhog day.

Not the fault of one player and a nonsense at this stage to blame Conte and far too easy and downright stupid to say it's all Levy s fault.

We are uniquely pained and for now we are still pushing the boulder up a steep hill and it just keeps rolling back.

Yeah preferably in his actual position of left wing. That one dribble is what he's all about. He can't do it from the other wing.

Don't make him play rwb.

Some of these decisions are mind boggling. Just need someone to look at things objectively and logically. It really doesn't need anyone to reinvent the wheel with fanciful tactics.
Yep why play him v soton at rwb and leave donkherty at LWB?
Conte can bleat all he wants about not being good enough and so on but he mad

In the last month Brighton and Everton have managed to go to Chelsea and get draws with Chelsea fielding stronger teams than last night. Everton had a severely weakened team due to Covid and Brighton put in a decent performance. So not really that sure about the strong praise for Chelsea. Also the two goals were down to mistakes. It was the manner of defeat which was shocking.

Sorry to hear that mate. It screwed our xmas up, and I lost three tickets to the game over Xmas due to it.

Bloody nightmare. Boy and nephew were looking forward to this one.

Waiting for PCR to confirm when my day 6 and 7 are for LFT testing.

Pretty sure I had it last weekend. But didn’t test positive till Monday afternoon. Despite testing Saturday and Sunday.

Total pain in the ass.

In the last month Brighton and Everton have managed to go to Chelsea and get draws with Chelsea fielding stronger teams than last night. Everton had a severely weakened team due to Covid and Brighton put in a decent performance. So not really that sure about the strong praise for Chelsea. Also the two goals were down to mistakes. It was the manner of defeat which was shocking.

Yes, but ..

A different type of game and we are also not really a cup team, albeit this is over 2 legs.

We have no player who can have a blinder and just take the gane by the scruff of the neck. We lack the pace to really stretch teams and we are not overly aggressive. We may have the 6tb or 7rh best squad in the PL in overall terms but we lsck obvious elements.

In the days of Ginola, Gascoigne, Bale absolutely, Defoe and definitely a Berbatov or Keane, we had players who on any given day could have a game where they just ran the show. We have nobody of that type, so unless as a team we are at it, results and outcomes like last night and against a team as good as Chelsea are pretty much inevitable.

I am relaxed because last night was so easy to predict.

Posters can be as optimistic as they like and bemoan the negativity of some fans but if any understand football then it's quite a straightforward assessment to make.

A bit of an overreaction. Losing away from home to Chelsea isn't exactly a disaster - and also 2 very 'unusual' goals.

Missing our 2 best CBs wasn't great and once again SON has completely forgotten how to play football; losing the ball 7 times from his 30 touches. Only Ndombele was worse, losing it 6 times in 45 minutes.

We barely won an aerial duel all game and this is clearly an area we need to improve on in our attack.
I dont think people are over-reacting; losing isn’t what’s causing such consternation, but we have seen this level of performance so many fucking times, under four managers now, it’s driving us all nuts! Many opportunities have been missed to improve the team in the last five years, so much time been wasted, and yet again this is demonstrated in the embarrassment of that first half last night. Conte has improved us in the league, which has raised hopes, only for them to be shown to be delusional with this squad. We all know a rebuild takes time, but there’s no trust that the right materials will be bought. Hence the reaction.

Tried to simplify it for you so you can understand it first time unlike the away goals rules
giphy.gif

We have players that moan about not winning trophies and look for the easy option of going to a club where trophies are guaranteed.
Why not put the effort in to win trophies where you are?
These players have had plenty of chances to win silverware but to put in a performance like that beggars belief.
Mr Kane in particular wants to win silverware and yet he has never shown up in a final or semi final.

Our CL QF against Man City and Semi final against Ajax were the games where we showed the greatest spirit and Kane was missing in both, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I still maintain we would have won the final had he been on the bench.

Stop whinging and actually turn up in a major game for once.

We were fortunate to leave with only a 2-0 deficit and the tie is still not over but that is only if the players decide to turn up and stop acting like Bambi on ice.

The fans put in a good performance last night and we did our bit, just a shame the players couldn’t be arsed.
Nailed it

2-0 is not impossible to come back from. Although when was last time they lost by 2+ clear goals?

Winning by 3 clear goals does seem fanciful based on our and theirs league and cup performances this season.

So only real positive from last night is away goals don’t matter anymore.

Not a word about Spurs on the radio yesterday, before the game, but as we lost they're talking about nothing else. It's Spurs this, Spurs that. Grrrrr.

it's articles like this that hurt me more than the result/performance.

the "Narrative" that there's some sort of "Spurs DNA" that will always over-promise & under-deliver. Perennial bottlers. etc it's ridiculous, players come and go and the club itself doesn't have human characteristics .

it's a nice story though, and until we win a trophy or 2 it'll remain the narrative.

some of the lines in this -

It’s a fascinating concept, an impossible clash of styles, of brands, between the manager who always wins things and the club that can go to extraordinary lengths and plumb unimaginable depths to avoid doing so.

It’s quite striking stuff from a manager who managed to take Chelsea from 10th to first in a single season five years ago.

But Chelsea are Chelsea and Spurs are Spurs.

Fundamentally, Conte’s reign at Spurs will come down to one thing: can Conte’s ability to Conte overcome Spurs’ ability to Spurs?

On the evidence at Stamford Bridge, your money would have to be on Spurs being just too potent a comedic, self-destructive force even for Conte.

For all that Spurs were several shades of awful, and that pratfall Spursiness has apparently consumed and defeated even a winning mentality as strong as Conte

Our squad is so poor though, all it takes is a couple of injuries/covid plus a couple of guys not totally at it and we're all over the fucking place...

it's articles like this that hurt me more than the result/performance.

the "Narrative" that there's some sort of "Spurs DNA" that will always over-promise & under-deliver. Perennial bottlers. etc it's ridiculous, players come and go and the club itself doesn't have human characteristics .

it's a nice story though, and until we win a trophy or 2 it'll remain the narrative.

some of the lines in this -

It’s a fascinating concept, an impossible clash of styles, of brands, between the manager who always wins things and the club that can go to extraordinary lengths and plumb unimaginable depths to avoid doing so.

It’s quite striking stuff from a manager who managed to take Chelsea from 10th to first in a single season five years ago.

But Chelsea are Chelsea and Spurs are Spurs.

Fundamentally, Conte’s reign at Spurs will come down to one thing: can Conte’s ability to Conte overcome Spurs’ ability to Spurs?

On the evidence at Stamford Bridge, your money would have to be on Spurs being just too potent a comedic, self-destructive force even for Conte.

For all that Spurs were several shades of awful, and that pratfall Spursiness has apparently consumed and defeated even a winning mentality as strong as Conte

I'm guessing that was written by some 18 year old that has no knowledge of how shit Chelsea were before the money fountain started to run, or how having billions of quid buys you all the best available players, pays them obscene amounts and keeps a string of 50 professionals out on loan as a strategic reserve.
Apart from that it was a fair fight

Back
Top Bottom