January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honestly if we believe all the rumours we have about 10 going out and the same number coming in.

I can just see how we agree all that seeing as it takes us months from the point of speculation to get pen to paper, even with loan deals.

So you honestly think he will learn the physical demands going back to play football where he started. Did you not witness what loans did for Kane or Skipp, they went out as boys and came back as men. Gil is young, if we are loaning him out then it must help his development for us, if we are looking to sell him I understand but I had thought he was a long term player.
To be honest when I've watched Gil play for us, I haven't seen some complete lightweight who can't handle Prem football physically. I've seen a player who clearly has some talent and who clearly has a great work ethic who's lacked a bit of composure and who's decision making has been a bit hit and miss. To improve this he needs to play football regularly and if he's not getting it here then he needs to go somewhere he is appreciated and will get regular game time. He's still young and he's still got lots to learn about football wherever he plays.

I think some people see his physique and decide that's why he's struggled and he needs to 'toughen up'. I don't really see that, just see a young lad with talent in a new country who has had 2 managers, no regular playing time and no set position. Playing regularly at a good level will help him, we bring him back for pre season and he'll be ready to go next season. Maybe Conte doesn't fancy him, but too early to get rid in my opinion.

Been so disappointed with him. I’d seen a fair bit of him when we bought him and I thought we were getting someone who could take the ball from our defence, progress our play, pick a pass, and all we’ve got is a less tough Lamela without the occasional moments of genius.

I did not think he’s bad when he’s got on the pitch, it’s just not worked here, for a multitude of reasons.

I actually think he’d be ideal as an 8 in Conte’s 352, and thought he was very much what Conte would love, ie he grafts but also has technical ability and the ability to follow tactical instruction ( and a bit of shithousery thrown in for good measure) but rumours are him and Conte don’t get along.

To be honest, I'm fucked off with the situation too. From the reported figures on BBC, they have come in with the same cash offer as us, with a little more on add on's.

Fed up with getting gazumped by a more attractive option.

When we were the more attractive option (regularly in the CL), we couldn't get the players we wanted as they either didn't want to play back up to Kane or we wouldn't pay high enough wages. Now players are happy to go and play back up to Salah and Mane.

Yep, we used to sign big names quite a bit. Gazza broke the transfer record at the time, Lineker, Klinsmann, Ardiles, Waddle. Even the likes of Archibald were big, sought after players. I dont mind the next level down from that lot but other teams reserves, loans..

80's: Gazza, Lineker, Ardiles, Waddle. Archie....??

Come on man we all know the landscape and financial pecking or of the game is completely different now.

90's: Klismann...... Is a complete anomaly over the course of a horrible decade.

.its all just bargain basement.

Romero? (50m)
Reg? (30m)
Gil? (30m net)
Emerson? (25m)
Ndombele? (60m)
GLC? (40m)
Sess (28m)

My god, if this all represents the "bargain basement" then Blackpool & Huddersfield must be far wealthier than I ever imagined.

(A reply people may be sick of hearing; but the facts don't wash away the more times a false-narrative gets rattled out.)

Last edited:
When we didn't get Diaz why didn't we go for Gravenberch, when we didn't get Traore why didn't we get Anthony etc, etfuckingcetera
Because it works like this.

Conte says: "I want Maehle or Hateboer at RWB, Milinkovic-Savic or Koke or Bellingham at CM, and Lautaro or Vlahovic upfront."

Paratici understand: "Okay so Davide Santon for RWB, Abracadabrat for CM and Kulusevski for FWD. Got you."

Levy signs off: "Alright so we're getting Chris Gunter on loan at RWB, Ollie Tanner aka Bale & Ronaldo's illegitimate lovechild for 250k as a combo 10/winger, and I'll bring our boy Jake Livermore home on a pay-per-play deal. Just missed out on Defoe's 246th transfer back to Spurs too. Strong window. Ta da."

I don't begrudge the bloke anything because he made no comment about comng our way.

He will need to transform into sonething extraordinary to do well for Barcelona and arguably if he does, it might say more about the state of football in La Liga at present than anything else.

The biggest lesson for us, if we did make a bid and did offer to bring him here is that other clubs won't or dont have to accept insulting lowball offers and that players mostly have an idea where they think they will be at their best in terms of position..

In saying that I doubt Xavi offered any guarantees if indeed he had any say in the transfer.
Barcelona or Tottenham, Barcelona or Tottenham? …….
DBF6262-D-0-AB5-4391-87-ED-A02721-DAC043.gif
fuck me if they only offered him a soap on a rope & tube of smarties he’s going to choose them……

To be honest, I'm fucked off with the situation too. From the reported figures on BBC, they have come in with the same cash offer as us, with a little more on add on's.

Fed up with getting gazumped by a more attractive option.

When we were the more attractive option (regularly in the CL), we couldn't get the players we wanted as they either didn't want to play back up to Kane or we wouldn't pay high enough wages. Now players are happy to go and play back up to Salah and Mane.

He won't be back up to anyone he's Salahs replacement

He's still not signed a new deal and Madrid want him so he's gone

One thing I think we can absolutely put to bed this window, is the line often trotted out by apologists that “all clubs take their time/drag their heels with transfers, we just notice Spurs doing it more because we support them.” Nonsense.

We were in talks for Adama Traore for 20 plus days, dithered and dallied and then bang, Barca sign him in 24 hours.
We were in talks for days for Diaz, constantly getting the “it’s a very difficult deal to do but Spurs are confident of getting it done before the deadline” nonsense. Then bang, Liverpool appear to wrap in up in 24 hours. No real hassle with it whatsoever.

We’re a farce. A genuine farce.

I could listen to Crackers and Talia Coren talk about Spurs all day and not get bored...Chis Cowlin is bearable enough, Ricky Sacks not so much...

Sorry, the names mean nothing to me.......

2 1/4 hours of this + an hour of Gold + 1 hour of Romero + 1 or two other fan-channels that get offered up around here..... Often multiple times a week...... When it will amount to nothing more than what is already kicked around on here just sounds like dreadful false-economy. Not to mention feeding the egos and bank accounts of all these unimportant speculators that serve to whip the fan-base into a ever increasing frenzy.

Back
Top Bottom