January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't even think Levy does that now. He probably sets budgets and that's it really. Surely Paratici is in charge of anything below that.
Tbh you could well be right with Paratici. He’s probably consulted on big financial outlays. I imagine he had a role to play in sanctioning Diaz. But who knows.

Whenever people mention other teams transfers you hear ‘’don’t worry about them concentrate on us’’ but that is such a nonsense argument, we compete with United and Woolwich, if Woolwich sign Bissouma, Isak and Ruben Neves suddenly they are even with Conte as our manager favourites for top 4.

Much of the time, those same people can readily be found saying stuff like "Why aren't we ambitious like Everton/Villa/etc.", "Why aren't we in for players like that?" or "Only Spurs do X or Y".....

It's completely bogus.

A gooner mate of mine really isn’t happy with their complete lack of signings.

This isn’t to justify us not getting a Kane backup but I’d take Kane and no back up over Lacazette and that young kid any day of the week. At least we still produce quality when needed.
No goalscorer this window is a killer for them. They're fairly well coached, have a good team ethic, good young players, solid defence.. but not signing a striker this window will keep them 5+ points from top four imo.

Absolute fucking poppycock.
Go and watch PSG if you're such a poch lover. You haven't said it, but clearly that's your beef.
I'm by no means a Poch fan. He is way too soft. He's a manager that can take you almost to the top. Unfortunately he needs a few more years until he reaches Brilliance.

Jose and Conté, I am a fan of.

But unlike you I ain't a Levy fan at all. I don't care much if we have World Class this and that. We not World Class on the pitch. And Top 4 isn't good enough for me.

Talk to me again when we have the players capable of Winning the league. Mind You, with Levy running purse strings, we may never need to talk.

My guess is the player didn't give an outright 'no' to us

Probably a "Yes (in theory)".......

Ditto Diaz.

People really do seem ignorant to the fact that there are FOUR parties (buyer, seller, player, agent) to any deal; not just us.

Last edited:
I'm by no means a Poch fan. He is way too soft. He's a manager that can take you almost to the top. Unfortunately he needs a few more years until he reaches Brilliance.

Jose and Conté, I am a fan of.

But unlike you I ain't a Levy fan at all. I don't care much if we have World Class this and that. We not World Class on the pitch. And Top 4 isn't good enough for me.

Talk to me again when we have the players capable of Winning the league. Mind You, with Levy running purse strings, we may never need to talk.

I can't stand Levy.

Conte is far more intricate than Mourinho. Mourinho is a coach who tries to exploit a teams weakness in possession. His philosophy is to let them have it, set traps and make the most of limited chances.

Conte has more emphasis on what you do with the ball. He doesn't want an Alamo type defensive performance and he has a system and a formation that suits it.

The football is far less difficult to watch as a result.
We'll only get better to watch the more time he has to work on us.

Opinions. Who's the stubborn one? I say Levys haggling looses many a transfer. I say he does it on purpose. You say it's the player.

Difference of opinion. No one is being stubborn. We believe differently. Get over it. We aren't joined at the hip you know (Fortunately). My opinion doesn't have to affect you. Don't loose any sleep over it.

Opinions born of FACT (rather than fantasy) are FAR more credible however.

That's BS and you know it.

You know you could have just let this whole argument go if you weren't so stubborn.

It's okay to be wrong you know mate, it doesn't hurt to admit it.
He also has a point though. Levy dithers; it's one of the things he's known for. We've heard a hundred times before how deals are agreed in in substantial detail, then Levy throws a curveball in at the last moment.

If we ran a tighter ship I'm fairly convinced that we could have wrapped up Diaz, but our entire M.O. seems to be to sit and wait instead, "monitoring" a player's status and availability and leaving plenty of room for negotiation and renegotiation. Every transfer target seems to be subject to Levy's requirement of driving the hardest possible bargain first and foremost, and delivering for his coach seems to be a distant second.

I can't stand Levy.

Conte is far more intricate than Mourinho. Mourinho is a coach who tries to exploit a teams weakness in possession. His philosophy is to let them have it, set traps and make the most of limited chances.

Conte has more emphasis on what you do with the ball. He doesn't want an Alamo type defensive performance and he has a system and a formation that suits it.

The football is far less difficult to watch as a result.
We'll only get better to watch the more time he has to work on us.
I agree they have a slightly different approach. Both need players who will die for the cause. Both need specific players that are able to play counter attacking football.

Can't say one is better than the other. One is slightly more pleasing to watch.

He also has a point though. Levy dithers; it's one of the things he's known for. We've heard a hundred times before how deals are agreed in in substantial detail, then Levy throws a curveball in at the last moment.

If we ran a tighter ship I'm fairly convinced that we could have wrapped up Diaz, but our entire M.O. seems to be to sit and wait instead, "monitoring" a player's status and availability and leaving plenty of room for negotiation and renegotiation. Every transfer target seems to be subject to Levy's requirement of driving the hardest possible bargain first and foremost, and delivering for his coach seems to be a distant second.

Sure but we are talking about this specific deal, not other deals

Liverpool had a deal in place to buy Diaz in the Summer so the agent would have let them know our offer, doesn't matter if we paid the release clause from the start it's ultimately down to the player who had his heart set on Liverpool.

Saying he would have preferred Spurs if we didnt haggle the price is just absolute poppycock, that line of thinking doesn't even make sense.

Hallelujah, It seems some have seen the light. Barca wrap up a deal in one day that we Haggled about for 2 windows. It was 5 days after our initial proposal that Liverpool hijacked Diaz. Agents hate dealing with Levy. Its common knowledge. Who advises the player what team to choose? Do people really think they want to sit for two weeks with Levy to iron out the smallest detail or would they rather talk to Klopp, "I want him. How much. Lemme sign the cheque".

You might be convinced we could have wrapped up Diaz but that’s not based on any of the reports we’ve had. You’re just projecting your views onto the situation.

Worse, next time there’s a transfer that doesn’t work out you’ll say « this is just like the Diaz deal where levy dithered » and you’ve got this whole house built on nothing.

Hallelujah, It seems some have seen the light. Barca wrap up a deal in one day that we Haggled about for 2 windows. It was 5 days after our initial proposal that Liverpool hijacked Diaz. Agents hate dealing with Levy. Its common knowledge. Who advises the player what team to choose? Do people really think they want to sit for two weeks with Levy to iron out the smallest detail or would they rather talk to Klopp, "I want him. How much. Lemme sign the cheque".

Errm...

200w.gif

Saying he would have preferred Spurs if we didnt haggle the price is just absolute poppycock, that line of thinking doesn't even make sense.
Well I didn't say that. I said that Levy dithers and leaves plenty of room for renegotiation. He runs the clock out on seemingly every transfer we ever make. You can choose to reduce it to just pure $$$ but that's really missing the point; that Levy makes negotiations way more painful and time-consuming than all parties to a transfer expect or prefer.

Well I didn't say that. I said that Levy dithers and leaves plenty of room for renegotiation. He runs the clock out on seemingly every transfer we ever make. You can choose to reduce it to just pure $$$ but that's really missing the point; that Levy makes negotiations way more painful and time-consuming than all parties to a transfer expect or prefer.

I know you didn't say that, you responded to my reply in the debate we are having specifically about the Diaz deal, I'm not interested in talking about other deals or what he's done in the past (even though I broadly agree) because the context of the arguement is about Diaz.

We don't need the mental gymnastics to try and twist things, if you read the reports and the timelines of events it's so obvious that this was the case, this time.

Back
Top Bottom