Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton | Wednesday 9 Feb | 19:45 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

100% Winks is in the correct position. You would want a CM there.
you dont want him there when theres two southampton players unmarked behind him. yet again hes marking space so that he can hide and stay away from an actual battle. do you think if a proper footballer has a look behind them to see if theres any danger (like a proper CM should) he still stays there marking a small pocket of space? kulu and winks both ball watching like morons, however, one is supposed to be a cdm!

3 guys running at Emerson .

WTF are Kulu and Winks doing ?

FLMEr6_XIAIQnt5
the problem here is sanchez, he is marking romero's man
then yes, winks could have solved the problem
and kulu should have controlled the number 15

The annoying thing is that although not technically one of our games in hand, the dropped points put even more onus on us having to win those games in hand to make up the gap.

I thought Utds 2 dropped points against Burnley was our window of opportunity to take advantage...
If Arse win tonight, we absolutely HAVE to beat them in that rearranged 6 pointer... But based on last night's head dropping excersise, we'll be lucky to get a point in that one!

It was the reaction to their 2nd equaliser that got me... ALL the belief went out of them, even Harry Kane kicking off looked like he didn't believe!!

SUCH a missed opportunity imho... and I'm still seething!

I agree we drag things out so would not be surprised if Eriksen wanted wages and was pushed aside. I also don't blame him that after the UCL final he saw this club was never going to win anything so even though offered wages he wanted, by then it was too late. He won the title and most players leaving seem to win after leaving.

With traore and Diaz. yes we dragged our heels but the point is neither of those players would have come to spurs even if we bid the right amount. If barca or liverpool want you. you are not going to spurs. we end up with players others do not want and thats the issue.

dont get me wrong, these owners have fucked things up from the heights of the poch team. that was where we need to buy world class ready made players with young potential. But we let it turn into what it is now which is buy players no one wants to only loan/sell them within 18 months. They have also made a calamity of the manager search after jose, getting in nuno was a joke and to then get a guy we could have got in the summer and given a proper transfer window to get rid of the deadweight defence, bar romero, all need to go.
To a point I do agree. I still think that if, the first day of the window we went to Wolves and said, "How much for Traore?" They would've said...... and we said, "where do we sign?" And then we immediately went to Traore and said, "You want 140000? Here a contract. Sign on the dotted line. Your medical is tomorrow." We would have had Traore. The same for Diaz. Good players are in demand. If you want them, you have to pay. Truth is Daniel doesn't want them. He wants to pay 21 year old 65000 a week max. As long as he can field a team and his stadium is full,.he doesn't give a shit

Agree with most of that other than the ‘we are already overstocked in midfield’
All four were crap last night and the only decent midfielder we have is Skippy and he’s injured!

I agree with you that they are not up to Standard but they are way closer to being up to Standard than our LCB, RWB, CAM or RCB. We have 3 of them that can keep us going till the season end. Even with th we could possibly challenge for top 4.

Winks, PEH and Skipp ain't great but imagine how much better, they and the team, would have looked with Diaz and Traore in the team.

If we playing in the opponents half most of the time, even Davies looks Good.

To a point I do agree. I still think that if, the first day of the window we went to Wolves and said, "How much for Traore?" They would've said...... and we said, "where do we sign?" And then we immediately went to Traore and said, "You want 140000? Here a contract. Sign on the dotted line. Your medical is tomorrow." We would have had Traore. The same for Diaz. Good players are in demand. If you want them, you have to pay. Truth is Daniel doesn't want them. He wants to pay 21 year old 65000 a week max. As long as he can field a team and his stadium is full,.he doesn't give a shit
of course they are in demand yes we could have got traore in the summer. However once barca came in, no amount of money unless we double what they offered would work. Same with diaz. Yes it is all about money for levy however he does spend the money but wastes it because he doesnt allow his manager to pick and choose the ones he wants and whilst we might pay the going rate for one player, its finding gems like dele where you really strike gold. he needs to learn that.

if the ball was low enough to reach the number 18, romero would have hit it
sanchez is doing nothing, he is BEHIND romero's man

#football

Big assumption. To leave that to chance and have that oppo player stood on their own like that would have rightfully caused meltdown if he waa the one to have scored.

Regardless, Romero's still defending space rather than the man; leaving Sanchez with the impression that the man in front of him is spare...... Perhaps Conte is instructing them all to defend zonally rather than get close to their man? Maybe the communication between the CBs is poor (a common theme since Dier's been out!).

People are often reluctant to criticise the shiny new players particularly if they are players they advocated for us signing and would often rather shift blame onto a tried and tested scapegoat..... Be that Winks, Davies or in this case Sanchez & Emerson.

I went yesterday.

Essentially our defence and CMs could not cope with the press. They were much the better team and fully deserved the win.

Davies is just average and his mistake cost us. Sanchez just panics every time he is under any sort of pressure. Romero is fine on the ball but can't Defend crosses at all - it is a real worry and may cost us points with him in the team.
Winks and PEH can't cope with pressing either.
but Emerson, my word, he might be the thickest footballer I have ever seen. His positioning was almost always wrong, he can't cross, he can't defend, and he certainly can't keep the ball. It is a shame we have to stick with him. I prefer Doherty to be honest.
Lucas as well was not helping off the ball. So disappointing.

Kane was on another planet though and Betacur looked good again.

In order to try and maintain some perspective as a Spurs fan over the years, I've long held a simple maxim: we aren't as good as we think when we win, we aren't as bad as we think when we lose.

The race for 4th is far from over. There are four, maybe five teams in the mix, they'll all stutter at some point, move ahead, drop back, look good, look shit.

Many a slip twixt cup and lip as mum used to say

It's just simply unforgivable that KWP was playing and starring for them last night and we had donkey Emerson playing for us, KWP came through our fucking academy and had been at the club since he was a kid, what the actual fuck is that about!?

This fucking club...so frustrating!

This reddit thread has some good thoughts about the second goal. Basically the whole team fucked up defending but Kulu really fucked up

The whole team fucked up, but it boiled down to a key issue. Player hid thus allowing Southampton to win the number game in key area. Not in this one instance only, but also throughout the game.

Harry Winks casually with the least effort jogged into no man land. There was no potential of any passes into this area, nor no Southampton players to be marked. Winks "played" himself out of the tactic board here. This gave Southampton tactical advantage to break our shape apart. Ben Davies was pulled from the back line by Amstrong who moved away from our box to provide a quick short pass option for KWP and JWP if they needed. Romero reasonably had to move in front of his mark to cover for a low cross to the near post. This further dragged Sanchez toward near post and isolated Emerson Royal. That's the bigger picture tactical issue here.

Then we have other issues like Kulu irresponsibly failing to track his man; Son had become very lazy tracking back, applying pressure (JWP should be pressed by Son); Sanchez and Emerson Royal don't know how to play an offside trap despite Lloris constantly commanding them to "Get out" . If they played the offside trap right, they wouldn't have to screen behind those offsided players, and Emerson Royal would have a better chance to notice the goalscorer sooner thus a better chance to compete for that cross and prevent the goal. In comparison, see how Southampton was so disciplined with their line in Bergwjin offside goal or Kane being fouled in offside position? They're well drilled to keep their offside trap till the end of the playing phase. Every detail counts at this level.

Last edited:
I hate how unintimidating our stadium is.

No one’s scared. We get rolled over way, way too much at home.
New stadiums are going to be like that big wide open bowls, the old rickety up close and personal stadiums of yesteryear are gone and will only get worse and double that if the team doesn’t play well.

In order to try and maintain some perspective as a Spurs fan over the years, I've long held a simple maxim: we aren't as good as we think when we win, we aren't as bad as we think when we lose.

The race for 4th is far from over. There are four, maybe five teams in the mix, they'll all stutter at some point, move ahead, drop back, look good, look shit.

Many a slip twixt cup and lip as mum used to say

Indeed. It will remain scrappy and there'll be plenty of points dropped by all sides yet.

Virtually half a season still to play.

My overall thoughts on the game last night was that the first half was terrible. Probably worst we've played. Did well to go in 1-1 really, second half was abit better and we did well to actually take the lead which I think is a massive positive considering how poor we were for the majority of the game.

What I will say though is, I actually thought Southampton played really well. The Jürgen Klopp wannabe said today that performance against us was the best his team have played since he's been in charge and considering he cried when Southampton beat Liverpool that comment is saying a lot.

I don't think we played well but fair play to Southampton.

Back
Top Bottom