Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a serious thread for serious people only.

Will we ever win a trophy again?

Even the Bruce Springsteen patented "glory days" of winning the top 4 trophy regularly and bagging the prestigious Audi cup seem firmly in the rear view mirror.

I'm worried people, curious mixture of apathy, sleepless nights and Spurs induced constipation.

So I invite you to give your opinion.

Indiana Jones Life GIF

Go On Reaction GIF by Black Prez

#Gallows humour only
#We're shit and we know we are
#Let the healing begin

Yes we will

When some one buys the club from the dastardly duo.

You can ask this of more than 90% of clubs.
Go back and look at a list of Cup winners or League winners in the 60s, 70s when the game was domestic and margins between the teams were much smaller.
Now, the power is concentrated in less than a handful and no-one else has anything other than a remote shot without Newcastle-like investment.

It could be worse.
We could support a team in the French league where 1 team makes more than the other 19 combined.

Last edited:
You can ask this of more than 90% of clubs.
Go back and look at a list of Cup winners or League winners in the 60s, 70s when the game was domestic and margins between the teams were much smaller.
Now, the power is concentrated in less than a handful and no-one else has anything other than a remote shot without Newcastle-like investment.

It could be worse.
We could support a team in the French league where 1 team makes more than the other 19 combined.
We are paying the most expensive prices in the premier league. We are not some team from some backwater rural town.
The club always won trophies in the past, every decade in fact until ENIC took over.

Demand more from your club rather than accepting mediocrity

We will. Simple answer.

But thrre needs to be a bit of s remodelling of what constitutes s big club.

Sadly I think Newcastle will pick up a trpphy before we do.

Bottom line is that we have been good enough over the last decade. We aren't now. Nowhere near but mostly because you need certain types and we ain't got those players. And by that I mean not one player, arrogance or reality who walks on the pitch on any given day and thinks I am the best player.

Gascoigne did, Ginola did, Bale did, Berbatov did, Keane did (in that regard better than Kane), Eriksen did, Alli did for a while.

Now nobody. We are too fcuking soft and too mentally weak.

We are paying the most expensive prices in the premier league. We are not some team from some backwater rural town.
The club always won trophies in the past, every decade in fact until ENIC took over.

Demand more from your club rather than accepting mediocrity
My point is that 90% of all clubs don’t win anything.
Some leagues are entirely a one club league.
The rest of the league doesn’t just shut up shop.
Football is a funny game, Saint. It relies on your business rivals keeping you viable.

I supported Spurs when they were relegated.
For me, nothing changes if we win something or otherwise.

Agree that Newcastle wins one before we do. We need a wholesale organizational change, starting with the sale of the club. The other big factor is that if UEFA continues to not enforce FFP, then the group that buys the club will have to be willing throw obscene amounts of money down the shitter to win a trophy. Trophies are great, but I just want to enjoy watching Spurs again. The last 3 years have been horrible.

Won't happen under ENIC because winning silverware is fundamentally not a priority for them. They likely care about getting the top 4 money coming back in to the club and maintaining a profile, but not making that push to be winners of anything. Even if we manage to get a promising side again they'll just refuse to take that final step as long as said side is up there.

We'll win a trophy again when the ownership, ENIC or their successors, realize we should focus on the cups. The corruption in the game has put the league out of reach and made consistent top 4 improbable.

This probably also means when we completely turn the squad over. This squad has clearly been poisoned with years of deprioritization of the cup competitions - we're mentally at our most lax/weakest in these comps, when we should be at our most intently focused. Revolving door of managers hasn't corrected that - clearly its a squad mentality issue.

What's really staggering is that the 9th richest club on the planet has won just 1 relatively minor trophy in a quarter of a century, and nothing at all in a decade and a half.
Why is that? Probably, because as ENIC themselves have confirmed, they only chose to become involved in football to milk it's global popularity. Trophies are of little, if any interest to them.

I take the 9th richest club with a pinch of salt especially as 5 of the richer clubs play in the same league and a couple of those are richer by an order of magnitude.
The dominant club In Moldova isn’t in the top 500 probably but wins things regularly. A lot depends on the competition.
I’m not trying to excuse the fact that we are poorly run and are basically a third rate operation with first rate infrastructure

Out of the last 30 pieces of silver ( domestic) they’ve been shared by just 8 clubs Man City way in front with 12….Man Utd one of the wealthiest clubs in the world just 3……it’s very difficult without financial doping if our owners are not going to play ball with resources us winning anything is going to be a big ask+playing like we did last night is not going to help.

I take the 9th richest club with a pinch of salt especially as 5 of the richer clubs play in the same league and a couple of those are richer by an order of magnitude.

Nu-castle just shunted everybody in the world down by one spot too. 🥱

The dominant club In Moldova isn’t in the top 500 probably but wins things regularly. A lot depends on the competition.
I’m not trying to excuse the fact that we are poorly run and are basically a third rate operation with first rate infrastructure
4 richer clubs in England. Not 5. And the source (Swiss ramble) is a very reputable one. No salt required.

Ok, maybe we shouldn't expect to match City or Chelsea etc...

But even taking your case on board, the fact that since 2000 a club of our wealth, AND history, has entered into some 79 competitions, domestic and European, and won ONE, is a staggering failure whichever metric you choose to use.

Back
Top Bottom