Aston Villa (A) - 9th April - 530 KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Gerrard in his interview after the game said that was the best half of football Villa have played since he's been in charge.

Heard this type of response numerous times.

Every single club we play raises their game against us so sometimes it's difficult to match intensities.

When we played Southampton at home a couple of months ago people were in meltdown because we lost at home to them but in reality clubs just love to put in their performances of the season against.

Amazing the attitude teams and fans have against us considering we're a bottling club who never win anything.
I've thought this for a while. We are considered a big club and therefore a 'scalp'.

But due to psychology (and partly budget) we can be a pushover. I think Woolwich and United are starting to experience this. We need a nasty CM that PEH really isn't.

Just heard Lloris say Conte sorted out out a few things at half time
262fa33d734365b7ace06806e6e36b3d.jpg

...well I suppose he IS a Yid

I've thought this for a while. We are considered a big club and therefore a 'scalp'.

But due to psychology (and partly budget) we can be a pushover. I think Woolwich and United are starting to experience this. We need a nasty CM that PEH really isn't.
Bang on!

There are 2 types of 'Big club'... Ones who are unbeatable, and you've already lost before you get on the pitch (Man Utd & Arse in their pomp were these... Now it's more Man City & Liverpool)
...then there are the big clubs who are BEATABLE... and therefore clubs take it as an achievement to beat them.

We fell into this category for waaaay too long (Everton too!)
Now it seems Arse & Man U are getting a little taster to what that feels like.

Players try that much harder, and often got their rewards... Whilst fans celebrating wildly cos they've just beaten the MIGHTY Tottenham Hotspur or whoever*

* Insert name of big club here!)

It's like it's worth TWO wins!

But now WE'RE biting back!

Been said many times I'm sure but that ref was incredibly weak and let them get away with a lot of shit, 1 booking for them is fucking embarrassing.

Still the sign of good team is ime who constantly gets kicked and are able to roll their sleeves up and get on with it...not sure the other team from South London would do that..

Been said many times I'm sure but that ref was incredibly weak and let them get away with a lot of shit, 1 booking for them is fucking embarrassing.

Still the sign of good team is ime who constantly gets kicked and are able to roll their sleeves up and get on with it...not sure the other team from South London would do that..
BTW, this is how southampton robbed us of two points early in Conte's reign. The one where a legit Kane goal was disallowed.

They kicked the everliving shit out of us, and the ref allowed it, only Salisu went too far.

Bang on!

There are 2 types of 'Big club'... Ones who are unbeatable, and you've already lost before you get on the pitch (Man Utd & Arse in their pomp were these... Now it's more Man City & Liverpool)
...then there are the big clubs who are BEATABLE... and therefore clubs take it as an achievement to beat them.

We fell into this category for waaaay too long (Everton too!)
Now it seems Arse & Man U are getting a little taster to what that feels like.

Players try that much harder, and often got their rewards... Whilst fans celebrating wildly cos they've just beaten the MIGHTY Tottenham Hotspur or whoever*

* Insert name of big club here!)

It's like it's worth TWO wins!

But now WE'RE biting back!
I think our stadium also plays a part in that. It's so grand that it creates a sense of occasion.

It should be a scary prospect, but instead it feels more like a champions league night for the likes of Newcastle, and Villa. A chance to impress under the bright lights. The same doesn't quite apply to our players, they play here every other week.

I think another important aspect of all this is that teams like Villa, Newcastle, Leeds have a resentment against us cos they all have that temporarily embarassed millionire attitude, and they see us as occupying a spot that is rightfully theirs.

It's like we're the new money, and they're the old aristocrats living in poverty after squandering grandpa's estate.

I think our stadium also plays a part in that. It's so grand that it creates a sense of occasion.

It should be a scary prospect, but instead it feels more like a champions league night for the likes of Newcastle, and Villa. A chance to impress under the bright lights. The same doesn't quite apply to our players, they play here every other week.

I think another important aspect of all this is that teams like Villa, Newcastle, Leeds have a resentment against us cos they all have that temporarily embarassed millionire attitude, and they see us as occupying a spot that is rightfully theirs.

It's like we're the new money, and they're the old aristocrats living in poverty after squandering grandpa's estate.
Absolutely. This has applied to all away teams, imo, not just the crap ones. Thankfully, the novelty of our magnificent facilities seems to be wearing thin, the Spurs fans are finding their voice (which can be magnificent at times) and home advantage is making a comeback.

Yes. We were lucky not to sustain 3 or more serious injuries &/or a red card (retaliation was kept in check, thank goodness). It was a very mature performance in the 1st half, under extreme provocation.

Absolutely. This has applied to all away teams, imo, not just the crap ones. Thankfully, the novelty of our magnificent facilities seems to be wearing thin, the Spurs fans are finding their voice (which can be magnificent at times) and home advantage is making a comeback.
As we start to hopefully become more dominant like our 2016 team or city/liverpool, then the stadium can amplify the sense of dread, rather than the sense of excitement.

Hojberg was all over the shop first half…. Turned it round second half

But Emerson didn’t let anyone down today …. Was a pretty solid performance

I do agree he’s not a conte wing back. Personally I find it frustrating because he comes across as really quite a nice bloke…. Absolutely cannot fault his effort and commitment

It’s like you mention he just isn’t that dynamic conte wing back we need to reach the next level

Can't question his effort mate no doubt but he couldn't beat a man or get a cross in so save his life. Again defended well bar letting that young lad ghost bast him first half but he was targeted heavily by Villa and did ok dealing with it.

Both him and Reg didn't really offer much in a forward sense today it must be said but Reg was just coming back from injury. Against the better teams gonna need our wingbacks to give us more and I bet both are priorities in jan.

Can't question his effort mate no doubt but he couldn't beat a man or get a cross in so save his life. Again defended well bar letting that young lad ghost bast him first half but he was targeted heavily by Villa and did ok dealing with it.

Both him and Reg didn't really offer much in a forward sense today it must be said but Reg was just coming back from injury. Against the better teams gonna need our wingbacks to give us more and I bet both are priorities in jan.
I hope so. Imo 2 quality wing backs are the priority signings

Great result,and great goals.
Was up against it in the first half,but got through it. 2nd half was much easier to watch.
The ref was pony,and Villa obviously had a game plan to strong arm certain players of ours,but we came through it,and didn't crumble to such tactics as we have done in the past.
Enjoyed that

I think once every oppo has played at ours at least once, then the 'novelty factor' for players & fans 'sense of occasion' will wear off....

Then it's just the promoted teams each year... But to be fair, EVERY away game is a novelty for many promoted teams ...just look at Brentford!

I think we also played into Villa's hands by trying to play it out from the back at every opportunity. This gave them a chance to pressure us, which was their game plan.
2nd half we came out and the instructions were clear. Don't play it short, lump it up as they wont be expecting it. Within a few minutes we carved them open and scored from a Lloris punt up field.

I think we also played into Villa's hands by trying to play it out from the back at every opportunity. This gave them a chance to pressure us, which was their game plan.
2nd half we came out and the instructions were clear. Don't play it short, lump it up as they wont be expecting it. Within a few minutes we carved them open and scored from a Lloris punt up field.

I think its just his tactic for tiring the opposition out - it happens in every game, if it were just a case of "lump it" and we'll win he'd do it from the start.

Back
Top Bottom