Aston Villa (A) - 9th April - 530 KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nice, but harsh on Emerson. I thought he had a fine game

Bill, he was all over the place, and getting turned inside out, gave the ball away several times when under no pressure.

I really don't see him currently as being what Cote needs at right wingback. He may have youth on his side, but i don't see what he offers on the pitch anymore than Winks does.

Good squad player.

Bill, he was all over the place, and getting turned inside out, gave the ball away several times when under no pressure.

I really don't see him currently as being what Cote needs at right wingback. He may have youth on his side, but i don't see what he offers on the pitch anymore than Winks does.

Good squad player.

Yet Emerson is only being played in that capacity.

Not pointing the finger at you, but this is the problem with the notion of so-called "squad players"(*); they get pelters the moment they do play for not being as good as the guys they are filling in for (Winks, Sanchez, Davies at LB etc. are perfect examples of this.).

(*Many people here make this concession with little to no conviction; purely out of a faux attempt to look reasonable.)

Last edited:
I find Emerson too predictable with his forward play. Always seems to take the safe option, usually a short pass infield.

I guess some would call that being solid.
Something a bit ungainly about him. If we're comfortable, he's good at safe short passes and linking play. Very little else unfortunately.

Have to say villas defence yesterday was shambolic. Everytime we went forward we looked like scoring. They still have a bit of championship about. Speaking about championship might go to Norwich away last game of season. Think that could a hull away type win a few seasons ago. 7-1.

Another great away day, could of got there and back without a train ticket also didn't use it at all.

Have to say villas defence yesterday was shambolic. Everytime we went forward we looked like scoring. They still have a bit of championship about. Speaking about championship might go to Norwich away last game of season. Think that could a hull away type win a few seasons ago. 7-1.
I hope we don't need a win and get a Newcastle away type defeat from a few seasons ago 0-5...

Good squad player.
Royal will go in summer no question. Probably atletico Madrid. Unless he plays like cafu last few games of season but reality cant see it. After a Torino right back I've heard.

Have to say villas defence yesterday was shambolic. Everytime we went forward we looked like scoring
This has been the case with quite a few of our opponents, including City and Liverpool. Our ability to quickly arrive at the opposition third, counter attack or not, is elite. More often than not, we transition from defence to attack in 3 moves, and about 30 seconds.

It results in a lot of free space and disorganised defences.

Conversely, we are terrible at breaking down an organised defence using patient build up.

Yet Emerson is only being played in that capacity.

Not pointing the finger at you, but this is the problem with the notion of so-called "squad players"(*); they get pelters the moment they do play for not being as good as the guys they are filling in for (Winks, Sanchez, Davies at LB etc. are perfect examples of this.).

(*Many people here make this concession with little to no conviction; purely out of a faux attempt to look reasonable.)
He's not a good squad player IMO. The drop off in quality is too much.

Trippier and Davies were good squad players back in the day.

He's not a good squad player IMO. The drop off in quality is too much.

Trippier and Davies were good squad players back in the day.

Nor am I making the argument that he is.

Just think it's futile laying into him for not being what we wish he was.

Last edited:
Nor am I making the argument that he is.

Just think it's futile laying into him for not being not being what we wish he was.
That's a fair statement.

Same applies to the likes of Winks. It's our fault we ended up with him starting during this important run of fixtures.

We can't accuse him of being lazy, entitled etc. like Ndombele.

Back
Top Bottom