Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s called being realistic. If we were satisfied by every player that had 1 good game out of 30 then we’d end up in league 2.
I can think of one game where his poor play led directly to goals and that was against Southampton when we lost 3-2, his bad marking led to their two late goals.

Other than that, can someone please enlighten me as to other errors or mistakes he's made? I genuinely can't think of many occasions where he's been as terrible as what a lot of fans make him out to be.

It’s called being realistic. If we were satisfied by every player that had 1 good game out of 30 then we’d end up in league 2.

I've yet to see a single person say Emerson is good enough for next season though.

Don't you think that when a player plays well they deserve a week off from the relentless criticism and mockery they ordinarily receive?

Not much to ask is it?

I've yet to see a single person say Emerson is good enough for next season though.

Don't you think that when a player plays well they deserve a week off from the relentless criticism and mockery they ordinarily receive?

Not much to ask is it?
It wasn’t relentless criticism and mockery. Go read the original post.

It wasn’t relentless criticism and mockery. Go read the original post.

Of course not. Logic say that an individual post can't be "relentless".

Regardless, this is just deflection from the point I just made to you:

He played well and has earned a break from from all the BS. As is you making out peeps are claiming he's miraculously good enough for the future now.

It was probably his best game for us. Even though he can’t cross to save his life he showed a willingness to get forward that he normally doesn’t. Even if he doesn’t have the greatest confidence on the ball it’s crucial for the team that he makes the effort to join the attack.

It was probably his best game for us. Even though he can’t cross to save his life he showed a willingness to get forward that he normally doesn’t. Even if he doesn’t have the greatest confidence on the ball it’s crucial for the team that he makes the effort to join the attack.
I noticed that unlike previous games he wasn't as far out as he usually is when he joines into the attack. He slotted in further in field sort of like how Davies does. And Deki stayed a bit further out before cutting into his usual angles.

Not much to ask is it?

Yeah, sure. He deserves loads of credit for his performance, he was fantastic in a role which mostly demanded limited ability but loads of tenacity and for him to utilise his physicality well, which he did brilliantly.

But equally the issue is people coming here after that performance and going 'see!! the haters were wrong, he can defend, he is a great rb!' based on a singular game. You can praise one good match he has without going OTT.

Yeah, sure. He deserves loads of credit for his performance, he was fantastic in a role which mostly demanded limited ability but loads of tenacity and for him to utilise his physicality well, which he did brilliantly.

But equally the issue is people coming here after that performance and going 'see!! the haters were wrong, he can defend, he is a great rb!' based on a singular game. You can praise one good match he has without going OTT.
He could defend before this match as well, his problem is going forward.

He could defend before this match as well, his problem is going forward.

He had plenty of poor defensive performances before this. Liverpool at home, City away (Cancelo roasted him), Palace away, Southampton away (seriously, go back & watch the highlights .. he gets destroyed by Elyounoussi & Perraud for pace) and likely a few others I can't recall.

This was his first genuinely good defensive performance, and fair play to him for it. But he still has had numerous games where he's struggled badly 1on1 vs pace and trickery.

I'd not even go that far......

Just as I'd said, he at least deserves a week off from all the bashing, that's all.

Just scanned back... Again, not a single person said he was worth keeping; which is what the post I original spoke against implied.

Meanwhile we've also got those here and in the match thread wedded to their bias saying crap like we would have won the game if he could cross and that he gave away a dumb corner as a means to diminish what was a solid defensive shift.

I'd not even go that far......

Just as I'd said, he at least deserves a week off from all the bashing, that's all.

Just scanned back... Again, not a single person said he was worth keeping; which is what the post I original spoke against implied.

Meanwhile we've also got those here and in the match thread wedded to their bias saying crap like we would have won the game if he could cross and that he gave away a dumb corner as a means to diminish what was a solid defensive shift.

You didn't scan back enough .. either that or you have some people on ignore. But mainly my whole issue is the 'see? he's a good defender and a good rb just not a good rwb!' myth being perpetuated based on this game. He is poor going forward, mediocre defensively but very tenacious. He'd be a mediocre, limited right back as well.

He did well. The lad works hard and has a very commendable mentality, a team out there will certainly find use for him, just not a top 4 team because he's not of that quality in any position. Hopefully he sees out the season well and we get a good fee for him.

You didn't scan back enough .. either that or you have some people on ignore. But mainly my whole issue is the 'see? he's a good defender and a good rb just not a good rwb!' myth being perpetuated based on this game. He is poor going forward, mediocre defensively but very tenacious. He'd be a mediocre, limited right back as well.

I think you'd have been better off quoting and debating those people then cos (verbatim from my last post): "Again, not a single person said he was worth keeping; which is what the post I original spoke against implied."

He did well. The lad works hard and has a very commendable mentality, a team out there will certainly find use for him, just not a top 4 team because he's not of that quality in any position. Hopefully he sees out the season well and we get a good fee for him.

He needs to go in the summer shuffle.... I don't see anyone having any qualms with that.

They were indeed, but they didn't have a simple assist to make. Also Emerson has been bad all season in this area not just 1 day.

Trent has 12 assists and 18 chances created this season. Emerson has 1 assist and 1 chance created.

Those numbers are pretty telling where the difference is between an elite wingback and ours.
TAA is likely the most creative full back in world football and takes an awful lot of corners and free kicks, comparing most fullbacks to him is completely stupid, let alone Emerson Royal who is a very different type of player.

TAA is likely the most creative full back in world football and takes an awful lot of corners and free kicks, comparing most fullbacks to him is completely stupid, let alone Emerson Royal who is a very different type of player.
He's a midfielder playing fullback with the delivery of David Beckham, it's stupid. I was talking to( winding up) my dipper nephew and he was lambasting TAA they would swap him for Recce James in a heart beat. Its swings and roundabouts brilliant attacking weapon but there a reason Southgate won't touch him. Few players let alone Emerson can match that delivery.

He's a midfielder playing fullback with the delivery of David Beckham, it's stupid. I was talking to( winding up) my dipper nephew and he was lambasting TAA they would swap him for Recce James in a heart beat. Its swings and roundabouts brilliant attacking weapon but there a reason Southgate won't touch him. Few players let alone Emerson can match that delivery.
Quite right … he’s a playmaker making play from right back …. Technically he’s outstanding

I have to admit, until recently I had no idea he was so ‘one paced’

Quite right … he’s a playmaker making play from right back …. Technically he’s outstanding

I have to admit, until recently I had no idea he was so ‘one paced’
They, through that serial kill Fabinho and Henderson are very good at protecting him. But can you imaging what Mbappe would do to him in a game of knock out football. He is not quick at all. He reminds so much of Beckham. They need to get him in to central or wide midfield sharpish because he is not learning the best position fir himself.

Back
Top Bottom