Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ZZ0x.gif

During Pochettino's time, I remember Spurs also had problems breaking through defensive teams even with Eriksen on the team. Even Barca and Man City at their best have problems breaking through tight defenses, so there are no guarantees.
I am not against having a quality creative CM but that player should be as good or almost as good as Spurs' front 3 (front 4 if Richarlison joins) to be worth "sacrificing" 1 of them for that creative CM. And such a midfielder is costly, and won't be happy sitting on Spurs' bench as an "emergency option".
Ideally, this player would replace PEH or Benta and play next to Bissouma, not sit on the bench. A proper box to box player with resonable defensive workrate, ability retain/recycle possession and a reasonable abilty to score if they get into the box.

Basically Ndombele if he wasn't a lazy cunt.

Yeah but maybe he watched Lenglet years ago, he's been so busy these days I doubt he has time to watch Barca.
Yeah, I really hope this doesn't blow up in our face . Hopefully a gruelling pre-season and change of scenery can get him back to where he was.. playing in a back three and training under Conte has made Dier/Davies/Sanchez look a lot better than they've been in recent years. I understand the pessimism, but I could see it working out.

In 3-4-3, your midfield 2 is a bit more conservative than a flat back 4 because of the higher wing backs.

And the weak side wing back is usually still in a position where they can recover in a counter situation.

If in a flat back 4, the 5 defenders you were talking about are the 4 defenders and 1 defensive midfielder, those 5 defenders in a 3-4-3 are the 3 CBs, 1 CM and either the other CM or weak side wing back depending on where we lose the ball.

Point being, the 3 CBs are not doing the work of 5. If anything, the 2 outside CBs, actually have more offensive responsibility than regular CBs.
Don't think you understood what I meant. I didn't mean they will always be playing in a formation of 3. I meant they have to be able to do the work of 5. When opposition, such as Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City break, they usually have 4 or five players running at the other team. If our wing-backs are high up during this phase, those three defenders are needed to cover all the attacking players. Much as I think they he had a Great season, the likes of Eric Dier and Ben Davies are just not good enough to do it constantly. Having one of them would be ok. But having a them altogether will not being trophies.

Yeah, I really hope this doesn't blow up in our face . Hopefully a gruelling pre-season and change of scenery can get him back to where he was.. playing in a back three and training under Conte has made Dier/Davies/Sanchez look a lot better than they've been in recent years. I understand the pessimism, but I could see it working out.
Btw we are way over the HG limit now for CL, and probably close to the edge in PL too.

Unless we can start sending players out we may be left in a position where we're paying wages for players ineligible for PL and CL due to squad requirements.
That's what annoys me about this Lenglet deal, in itself it seems no risk, but we now have even less margin.

Back
Top Bottom