Women euro championship 2022

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

yes route 1
Where a central defender bypasses all of their teams midfielders and sticks a pass down the middle for a forward to chase (what that forward does is immaterial)

which is what they did.

And if you read my post, I said it was a good pass and a well taken goal

and of all of the players mentioned who can/could knock out defence splitting passes - not one was a central defender bypassing their midfield.

England had to do that because their midfielders made little impression on the German team set up.

I hadn't realised that I had to explain it all in such detail.

If you guys think it was a great game of football, then I'm happy for you. I am happy about the result, but still think there is a lot to do, to get any kind of parity and acceptance with the men's game.
1. I don't THINK it was a great game of football - it WAS a great game of football.

2. It's a sport in its own right and doesn't need 'parity and acceptance' with the men's game. But it sure looks to me like it is massively growing in popularity.

3. Whats needed now is investment in the grassroots girls/womens game - young girls now have a whole generation of heroines they can idolise and look to follow. Opportunities for that to be able to happen must now be made possible.

not you as well

Our definitions of route one just fundamentally differ. I view that as hopefully lobbing the ball up the pitch, usually towards a big centre forward. I don't view it as a carefully played pass from a midfielder which takes the defenders out of the game.

No biggie .. just different definitions. Was England's overall passing game on the night good? Not at all, but that particular moment was one of quality.

If you guys think it was a great game of football, then I'm happy for you. I am happy about the result, but still think there is a lot to do, to get any kind of parity and acceptance with the men's game.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. The women's game is still dwarfed by the men in terms of participation & funding. It wasn't all that long ago it was banned. The point being made is that progress is happening and what is on offer now is very watchable to most.

Maybe not to you, and that's fine. I enjoy where it's at without feeling a need to measure it up against the men's game.

yes route 1
Where a central defender bypasses all of their teams midfielders and sticks a pass down the middle for a forward to chase (what that forward does is immaterial)

which is what they did.

and of all of the players mentioned who can/could knock out defence splitting passes - not one was a central defender bypassing their midfield.

England had to do that because their midfielders made little impression on the German team set up.

Funny cos:

a) Kiera Walsh isn't a CB either
b) the pass was played from the middle third of the pitch.

When people speak of Route 1 football; that pass wasn't it.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. The women's game is still dwarfed by the men in terms of participation & funding. It wasn't all that long ago it was banned. The point being made is that progress is happening and what is on offer now is very watchable to most.

Maybe not to you, and that's fine. I enjoy where it's at without feeling a need to measure it up against the men's game.

It's funny though.... Most of those that are begrudging (at best) with their commendation of the cup win would also profess to be old skool & passionate enough about the game to watch lower and non-league football; yet somehow not being on par the upper echelons of the men's game is an obstacle too far when those playing have tits.

Last edited:
It's funny though.... Most of those that are begrudging (at best) with their commendation of the cup win would also profess to be old skool & passionate enough about the game to watch lower and non-league football; yet somehow not being on par the upper eschelons of the men's game is an obstacle too far when those playing have tits.

Honestly it's fine. If people don't enjoy something they're under no obligation to watch it, just feels like if people don't like women's football they feel the need to announce it. I probably wouldn't watch the League of Ireland but who cares?!

But yeah, I don't quite get the quality argument. It feels like people cast a far more critical eye over women's football & ignore the many men's games which are low quality. I found the level of technical ability very watchable, the main difference is a physical gap and you either accept that and enjoy what it is, or you don't. Either is fine.

Honestly it's fine. If people don't enjoy something they're under no obligation to watch it, just feels like if people don't like women's football they feel the need to announce it. I probably wouldn't watch the League of Ireland but who cares?!

But yeah, I don't quite get the quality argument. It feels like people cast a far more critical eye over women's football & ignore the many men's games which are low quality. I found the level of technical ability very watchable, the main difference is a physical gap and you either accept that and enjoy what it is, or you don't. Either is fine.

Once the physical ceiling is reached; I strongly suspect that as the women's game continues to grow and evolve it will become all the more technical and tactical as a result.

(Ironic considering that the cloggy, shit-kicking aspect is what most people seek to avoid when watching the elite mens leagues.)

yes route 1

which is what they did.

You have to be the most obstinate and blinkered poster on here, you simply cannot accept you are wrong and double down on every spurious uttering.

You think because a defence splitting pass was made by a defender it qualifies as route 1? Laughable.

Give your head a wobble.

You have to be the most obstinate and blinkered poster on here, you simply cannot accept you are wrong and double down on every spurious uttering.

You think because a defence splitting pass was made by a defender it qualifies as route 1? Laughable.

Give your head a wobble.

"Wimbledon special." 🤡

Give your head a wobble.
what?

from my memory the whole concept of route one football was to bypass the midfield by playing long balls from defence to attack

wobble your own head. Just because someone doesn't share YOUR opinion doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about

Edit

By way of an apology - the one thing I did get wrong was that it wasn't a central defender who played the pass - I thought it was Bright - I am not as familiar with individual players or their names as I am with the mens game

Last edited:

same with me, I didn't say it wasn't an enjoyable spectacle - I said the football was of a poor quality, which it was. I'm English, the English team won the European cup, so I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed watching Emma Raducanu win the US open, but her tennis wouldn't get her anywhere near the top of the mens game - doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable to watch.

what was disappointing was the emergence of playacting that blights the mens game

Not sure why people are struggling with what I have said.

same with me, I didn't say it wasn't an enjoyable spectacle - I said the football was of a poor quality, which it was. I'm English, the English team won the European cup, so I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed watching Emma Raducanu win the US open, but her tennis wouldn't get her anywhere near the top of the mens game - doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable to watch.

what was disappointing was the emergence of playacting that blights the mens game

Not sure why people are struggling with what I have said.

Oh sod off Mick.

You don’t enjoy womens football. That’s fine.

But quit trolling this thread. I don’t give a fuck that you will inevitably come back to say you’ll post where you like, either. I’ll still call you out on your blatant trolling.

Ruining this thread with your tedious antics.

Oh and no. It wasn’t route one and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Last edited:
Oh piss off Mick.

You don’t enjoy womens football. That’s fine.

But quit trolling this thread. I don’t give a fuck that you will inevitably come back to say you’ll post where you like, either. I’ll still call you out on your blatant trolling.

Ruining this thread with your tedious antics.

Oh and no. It wasn’t route one and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

When its someone expressing their opinion, and it differs from yours - it's trolling. I am not trying to start an argument or perpetuate one, but I am happy to explain why I stand by my opinion.

Furthermore, I haven't said that I didn't enjoy the game - but I do enjoy watching top class football played well, and this, even at this level is a long way off.

As for tedious - you should see what some of your stuff comes across as.
How about you give your masturbation and sexual preferences posts a rest eh? It might be all you have in your life, but pretty much no-one wants to know when you do it, or how often - much less how you pay women to kick the crap out of you.

You telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. That's funny. You are not the board prefect who gets to tell posters when and what they can say either. Not just me, you do it to multiple posters. This is everyone's platform to discuss and share opinions.

When its someone expressing their opinion, and it differs from yours - it's trolling. I am not trying to start an argument or perpetuate one, but I am happy to explain why I stand by my opinion.

Furthermore, I haven't said that I didn't enjoy the game - but I do enjoy watching top class football played well, and this, even at this level is a long way off.

As for tedious - you should see what some of your stuff comes across as.
How about you give your masturbation and sexual preferences posts a rest eh? It might be all you have in your life, but pretty much no-one wants to know when you do it, or how often - much less how you pay women to kick the crap out of you.

You telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. That's funny. You are not the board prefect who gets to tell posters when and what they can say either. Not just me, you do it to multiple posters. This is everyone's platform to discuss and share opinions.

Edit: You’re not worth it. Bin vote cast for taking this good thread off topic and blocked.

Much like you tried to tell me I don’t get to tell you what to post, the same applies to you.

You also don’t get to speak on anyones behalf, particularly as nobody here likes you.

Last edited:

Give your head a wobble.

He’s entirely wrong on this.

You won’t get through to him so don’t waste your time.

Those of us who know anything about football know it wasn’t route 1.

It was a classy set up and even better finish. If that goal was scored by the spurs lads, we’d be creaming over it.

Mick Cooper rule-book (excerpts of course; there's loads more):

Don't police the forum.
Don't insult posters.
Don't act like you are an authority on the game if you haven't played/managed at the very highest level.

Also Mick Cooper:

Polices the forum
Insults posters
Acts like he's an authority on the game, even though he's never played/managed at the very highest level.

🤡

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom