Dejan Kulusevski

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I actually think as an all round footballer he's as good as any in our forward line if not dare I say it at this point the best. His work rate is outstanding and you'll always see him offering defensive support for the wing back.

Dejan Kulusevski made a promise to get even better after his dazzling display helped Tottenham to an emphatic opening day win over Southampton in the Premier League.

The Swede had a goal and an assist as Antonio Conte’s men recovered from going a goal down early on to thump Saints 4-1 in north London, their biggest opening-day triumph since the 1980s under David Pleat.

Kulusevski crossed for Ryan Sessegnon to level the scores in the first half before rounding out an impressive victory with a curling strike in the second period.

The winger, on loan from Juventus, was handed a start as summer signing Richarlison was banned. And he showed Conte that dropping him would be a massive error after he tormented Southampton throughout.

And speaking after the game, Kulusevski told Spurs TV that there is more to come from him.

He said: “All my goals come from this area, or three or four metres back. I have to keep scoring these but also keep evolving my game and score different goals.

“The players that came in are amazing, I think they will help us a lot and it is very important all 20 players are ready to play.

“For me, I have to grow. I have to get better in every way. I want to become a better football player so I have got to keep listening to my fantastic coach, be humble and keep living my dream.”

Kulusevski loving life at Tottenham

Kulusevski’s goal against Southampton was his sixth for Tottenham since he arrived from Juve in January.

And the winger admitted it was good being back in front of the home fans again.

He added: “We are very pleased. It wasn’t an easy game, going behind at home isn’t nice. But after we scored we could have scored a lot more.

“I love how this team is playing because we create a lot of chances and the fans are enjoying it. I like playing and I’ve missed playing. It is so nice to be back in front of the fans and the family and I really enjoyed it.”

Tottenham are back in action next Sunday when they head to London rivals Chelsea in the Premier League.

Dejan Kulusevski made a promise to get even better after his dazzling display helped Tottenham to an emphatic opening day win over Southampton in the Premier League.

The Swede had a goal and an assist as Antonio Conte’s men recovered from going a goal down early on to thump Saints 4-1 in north London, their biggest opening-day triumph since the 1980s under David Pleat.

Kulusevski crossed for Ryan Sessegnon to level the scores in the first half before rounding out an impressive victory with a curling strike in the second period.

The winger, on loan from Juventus, was handed a start as summer signing Richarlison was banned. And he showed Conte that dropping him would be a massive error after he tormented Southampton throughout.

And speaking after the game, Kulusevski told Spurs TV that there is more to come from him.

He said: “All my goals come from this area, or three or four metres back. I have to keep scoring these but also keep evolving my game and score different goals.

“The players that came in are amazing, I think they will help us a lot and it is very important all 20 players are ready to play.

“For me, I have to grow. I have to get better in every way. I want to become a better football player so I have got to keep listening to my fantastic coach, be humble and keep living my dream.”

Kulusevski loving life at Tottenham

Kulusevski’s goal against Southampton was his sixth for Tottenham since he arrived from Juve in January.

And the winger admitted it was good being back in front of the home fans again.

He added: “We are very pleased. It wasn’t an easy game, going behind at home isn’t nice. But after we scored we could have scored a lot more.

“I love how this team is playing because we create a lot of chances and the fans are enjoying it. I like playing and I’ve missed playing. It is so nice to be back in front of the fans and the family and I really enjoyed it.”

Tottenham are back in action next Sunday when they head to London rivals Chelsea in the Premier League.

That does seem to be true about him. He is brilliant at cutting in on the right wing and bending it into the far corner.. but not seen him score many other types of goals. It's very promising though that he recognises this and wants to work on his weaknesses.

6432d3af9a4268dab0588bb034ed5cf8.jpeg

One of my fav things was in the 2nd half, he played the most delicious dinked pass over the legs of Southampton defenders in the box. Just this little thing demonstrates his cool in the attacking phases, let alone the vision and ability to execute it.

He also had that 'matrix' moment on the edge of the box just before that where the game seemed to stop with everyone expecting him to lay the ball across the box only for him to turn a 180 and just casually go the other way; chop round the outside of the box and cut in from there.

I just sat and laughed. :)

Seriously smart player.

I cannot believe how good Kulusevski actually is.

He has so much ability, plays with so much composure, his distribution is immense, his finishing ability is top draw, he beats his man consistently and most importantly his game knowledge/awareness is right up there.

He’s only 22. A couple more seasons under Conte and he could genuinely be one of the best players in the world. What’s even more staggering is how he’s flying under the media’s radar. Obviously the fact that he’s Swedish, not British is a major factor but still. Saka gets more hype. Laughable.

Either way, it’s probably a good thing. As Conte said in his post match interview, if he stays humble and works hard, he could become what he wants to become.

Mute it if you need to. But man. The guy oozes class.

Last edited:
Hopefully some of you fifa/football manager/ social media nerds will learn something.

“We need pace”
“He won’t adapt to the premier league”
“What does he bring?”
“He’s not Diaz”

Posted 30th Jan

Where has this view that we need pace come from?

We have a bit of pace in the side. What we’re lacking is someone with technique and creativity. Both new signings address that but particularly Kulusevski. The most important type of pace is quick thinking and the technical ability to then execute.

I think the list of players who are not quick but who have adapted is long. We just got schooled by Kovacic and Jorginho CM and neither of those are quick. What they do have us speed of thought and the technique to execute.

Look at the Kulusevski’s assists. The amount of times he plays first time is impressive. You can’t do that without technique and game intelligence.

I am glad I am not just saying it, his style is so similar to De Bruyne it’s odd. If he can become just 70-80% the player he is then we have something special
Even Blue Moon posters are comparing him to De Bruyne which just shows we’re not getting too ahead of ourselves here.

I know we shouldn’t care too much about rival fans opinion but it’s rare that a big 6 club fanbase will acknowledge another’s player and comp them to their own superstar in a positive light.

Even Blue Moon posters are comparing him to De Bruyne which just shows we’re not getting too ahead of ourselves here.

I know we shouldn’t care too much about rival fans opinion but it’s rare that a big 6 club fanbase will acknowledge another’s player and comp them to their own superstar in a positive light.
Kulu is special cos he has the tekkers and wow moments plus the goals and assists. It's hard to deny statstically or "eye test".

I actually think as an all round footballer he's as good as any in our forward line if not dare I say it at this point the best. His work rate is outstanding and you'll always see him offering defensive support for the wing back.
In terms of decision making.. he is straight up our best. Both Kane and Son have an element of selfishness about them.. but that is also because they are by far out best finishers ( and 2 of the best in the world). I actually think this helps Kulu pick them out as he almost feels obliged to look elsewhere in terms of the front line.

There has only been 1 game this season though, so let's see how things progress. But if Kulu continues to perform like this then he can eventually become our most valuable asset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom