Net zero spend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2 points:
1- remember the start of last season where we were conceding goals late on in games and AVB and the training staff changed the training routines to remedy that problem? I think it worked well. Chances are we will see some noticeable improvememt to our scoring from open play woes soon because I'm sure they are as aware of this problem as we are.
2- wondering why we sold Luongo. I thought he had some potential.

I thought that too.
£1 buy-back clause, maybe?
There is the rule about a cap on loaned players that may have played a role. That is, while the window was open, it could be called a loan, but once the registrations are due, etc., it needs to be a permanent transfer?

I don't remember the rules clearly... And I'm just idly speculating... But what do you want from the Internet?

Think some of Carlito's posts in this thread have been dismissed a bit blithely, based on what we've seen so far. If you only count what's happened as opposed to what you think will happen, then he's not wrong in saying Soldado has been a less effective version of Defoe, and that we may struggle to turn possession into goals.

I do think that between Eriksen and Holtby we should find a solution to that problem but nobody knows it will work for sure, so to say he knows nothing because he expressed those doubts seems a bit harsh.

Anyway, that we made a 4m profit after buying that lot is obviously impressive, although how much is it down to Levy's Dr Evil genius and how much is down to the stupidity/pressure at Madrid?

The transfer spend is a little over zero

But I'd say the spend on salaries and bonuses over the next 2-3 years will jump

Just a load of burly ball winners in midfield. Prepare for shit loads of possession and no goals

They are more than just ball winners though. Paulinho for example has so much more to his game, he gets forward quite a lot and can score goals. He gets into the box a lot and when was the last time we had a player like that in the team? A proper box to box number 8? I can't remember one.

Capoue looks to have everything Tom Huddlestone had, but with decent mobility and the ability to close people down. Sadly he's out for four weeks now, but hopefully he can come back strong.

Eriksen is a silky creative player, we haven't even seen him in the team yet, I'm pretty certain he will make a difference.

I know what you are saying about lots of possesion and no penetration, that seemed to be the story of our season last year, but at least they have gone out and tried to address the issue. I mean we could have bought a player we don't really need for nearly £50 million, and not have addressed our frailties, like some other club I won't mention.

It's early days yet but I have to say I think Carlito may have a point in there sonewhere.
I said before Soldado signed he reminded me of Keane in that he will have good movement in the box but will struggle to get into games sometimes. 3 matches in and hes looked isolated in every one.
I also look at our midfield/wingers and worry how they are going to link. Unless Eriksen and Lamela perform as we hope I can see a lot if sideways passing going on with vertonghen and daws struggling to find passing options from the back. Woolwich and chelseas midfield just click, they are always moving, always passing, we on the other hand spend a lot of time pushing it wide and running, then stopping when they can't find a pass, go back to capoue/Paulinho/verts and start again.
As i say, early days and hopefully eriksen/lamela can help change things but its a concern for me at the moment.

I'm also presuming we had to pay loyalty bonuses to the players we sold, as none had asked for a transfer.
Also, signing on and agent fees for the new players.
Maybe £20m down? Just a wild guess.

Just going to put it out there. Who gives a shit about Net Spend. We spent £110 million on some top talent and Sold 1 player of any real ability. (Caulker had promise mind).
We sold a world class player, and bought potential.

Again the investment company have failed to invest.

Think some of Carlito's posts in this thread have been dismissed a bit blithely, based on what we've seen so far. If you only count what's happened as opposed to what you think will happen, then he's not wrong in saying Soldado has been a less effective version of Defoe, and that we may struggle to turn possession into goals.

I do think that between Eriksen and Holtby we should find a solution to that problem but nobody knows it will work for sure, so to say he knows nothing because he expressed those doubts seems a bit harsh.

Anyway, that we made a 4m profit after buying that lot is obviously impressive, although how much is it down to Levy's Dr Evil genius and how much is down to the stupidity/pressure at Madrid?

I think everyone agrees that the first 3 games haven't seen us perform in the way that we wish. Of course we don't know how it will work in the future and I'm sure some of the new signings won't work here, as that's just the law of averages.

However, we can look at the past to see how things may turn out, and these first 3 games actually remind me quite a lot of the start of last season where the players were trying to adapt to AVB's tactics and we didn't look fluid or comfortable as a team. Remember the draws at home to Norwich & West Brom? It wasn't till Reading away or even arguably Man U away that things seemed to click and we started to perform.

This season we have had more upheaval and less time for the new signings to work with AVB so it may take a little longer, but crucially we now have a much improved squad that should be able to perform to a higher level than last season. So when it 'clicks' we should tear the league up. We have a couple of low key games before the Chelsea game, I would expect us to perform similarly in those and then be fired up for the Chelsea game which should hopefully be the real start to our season.

Hopefully with the signing of Eriksen we'll have him as part of the midfield three, which will add to some creativity. Our midfield three are all play a a bit deep, leaving Soldado isolated.

Do you think a club of our standing could of bought a Bale replacement? If so who?

The club reinvested the money on potential as that's the only thing we could do. Be thankful we reinvested the whole amount, remember the Berbatov, Modric & CL money was never fully reinvested straight after it was gained.

The rest of the PL has looked on in envy & amazement at the work we have done in this window. Imagine being a Man U, West ham or Newcastle fan today. Then you could pass the razor blades

That's how I see it too my little Inuit friend .

I'm pretty happy with our signings & understood that Bale was off but I hoped for a little bit of investment . I know & I think it's great that all the money made on players when back into the squad but I think if it didn't after selling Bale , there would be uproar. Maybe Lewis is going to invest Into the stadium . Hope so , I think the work starts on it next month so we'll see,

That's how I see it too my little Inuit friend .

I'm pretty happy with our signings & understood that Bale was off but I hoped for a little bit of investment . I know & I think it's great that all the money made on players when back into the squad but I think if it didn't after selling Bale , there would be uproar. Maybe Lewis is going to invest Into the stadium . Hope so , I think the work starts on it next month so we'll see,

Its already underway it seems..........

Levy+Wheelbarrow.gif

Back
Top Bottom