Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VAR is a problem for us and always has been, but that’s not the real problem. Had we started the game with the intention of winning, we wouldn’t have to rely on shitty VAR.
Why start trying to win after 70mins? Why not show that intent from the start?
We have ourselves to blame not VAR.

Other than the last 30 mins v Leicester I cannot remember what I would call enjoyable football.
Of course we have all enjoyed the wins but there has been no performances where we can say Wow, what a performance that was.
Football is an entertainment business but we are not being entertained. I’m not sure if it’s imstructions from the manager or the players are just under performing but something is not right.
I’m sick and tired of watching us try and play it out from the back, it could work but we always make a hash of it.
When I see tha ball at Lloris’s feet I turn away as you just know it’s going to end in panic, that’s not entertainment that’s almost torture.

I believe we have the manager and players to be successful but it’s just not enjoyable at the moment . I also believe we need to stick with the current set up, with a couple of additions in January but we don’t seem to be learning from our mistakes.
Every time we play it out from the back we cock it up but continue to do it, we fail to beat the first man at corners but continue to do it, we finally realised Kane shouldn’t take freekicks but how many did we waste before we made that change? Certain players continue to put in poor performances but we continue to play them, we chase games but bring on defenders.
These are simple errors to correct but we continue to make the same errors over and over again.

It’s not often I rant and I’m forever defending the team/club but it’s hard to defend it when we are served up the tripe we’ve had to witness lately.
Please sort it out and please play exciting football that we can enjoy.
Rant over.

COYS.
It’s not as simple as saying just entertain us, the players aren’t good enough on the ball to take the ball and dominate. Perhaps if we play Skipp, Gill, Spence and get Kulu back then things will improve but when you have basic, simple players like Royal etc that can’t progress the ball under pressure, you will never dominate a game. I really don’t blame Conte for this, he has a shit deck of cards that he overachieved with last season but it’s time to shuffle or nothing will change

It’s not as simple as saying just entertain us, the players aren’t good enough on the ball to take the ball and dominate. Perhaps if we play Skipp, Gill, Spence and get Kulu back then things will improve but when you have basic, simple players like Royal etc that can’t progress the ball under pressure, you will never dominate a game. I really don’t blame Conte for this, he has a shit deck of cards that he overachieved with last season but it’s time to shuffle or nothing will change
I. Believe there are teams with far worse players than us that play entertaining football. With the 3 we have been playing up front, we have more than enough to rip teams to shreds but it’s just not happening.
I agree that Kulu is a big loss but I also believe the form of Sonny is a major factor in our flat performances.
We’ve all seen him and Kane tear defences apart time and time again, but I’ve barely seen them do that once this season.
His performances as so poor it’s unexplainable. Once he finds his form of last season and the season before that I think we might start seeing the performances we all know we are capable of.

I. Believe there are teams with far worse players than us that play entertaining football. With the 3 we have been playing up front, we have more than enough to rip teams to shreds but it’s just not happening.
I agree that Kulu is a big loss but I also believe the form of Sonny is a major factor in our flat performances.
We’ve all seen him and Kane tear defences apart time and time again, but I’ve barely seen them do that once this season.
His performances as so poor it’s unexplainable. Once he finds his form of last season and the season before that I think we might start seeing the performances we all know we are capable of.
Thought he was ok last night (Son) but they aren’t getting the ball in dangerous situations, feeding on scraps. We aren’t good enough and an base and there’s not enough energy. Blaming Son is too simplistic tho he has been poor

Thought he was ok last night (Son) but they aren’t getting the ball in dangerous situations, feeding on scraps. We aren’t good enough and an base and there’s not enough energy. Blaming Son is too simplistic tho he has been poor
Son is just one part of the bigger problem, but he also has that ability to win games on his own and other than Leicester just hasn’t done that.
I thought he was awful again last night but we simply can’t give up on him as we all know there is a player and a half in there.

I’m still hopeful that things will come good but at the moment there is more anger than enjoyment.

They are playing within themselves because they either are too leggy now or are concerned about being injured for the World Cup. There's no pressing or intent at all - look how much our play changed once Gil came on. Like a little terrier he was everywhere trying to pressure mistakes. Because he was doing that, Bentancur and Hoijberg were getting the second challenges in and we looked to have more impetus in attack.

So why isn't Gil playing more.

Last edited:
Absolutely gutting that was last night. To have a last minute winner ruled out like that which would have put us through top of our group is gutting, but positives are we are still top of that group and we just need a draw at Marseille to guarantee qualifying. It’s something we shouldn’t be doing after being robbed, but we are well in this competition still.

I have seen some posts here since the game bemoaning our performance last night and I absolutely concur with that.

I am struggling to determine in my own mind if the problem is the players, manager(s), ENIC or a combination of all three.

One thing I do know though is VAR is anti football and a blight on our game. It is one (not the only) reason why I gave up my ST.

When someone says this it is usually met with agrees or people pointing out that VAR isn’t the problem it is the people making the decisions. Rules have been changed in recent seasons (handball especially) it seems just to fit with VAR. if there was no VAR the people making the decisions would be only on the pitch.

That is where it needs to return to IMO but I fear Pandora’s box is now open and it won’t be closed. The game is so much poorer for it.

I don’t think drawing changed anything for us. Either way we’re still guaranteed eliminated if we lose to Marseille, and guaranteed advancing with a draw/win. Drawing tonight did nothing, except I suppose if both games draw next week we win the group (unlikely).

Nah..... Not true.

3 points would have seen us through with a game to spare.

It sucks

At least the point ensures that we should at minimum get Europa League after Christmas if my math is correct.

Maybe we'll care about that competition now that it includes Barcelona.

Whatever the technical limitations of our players, we saw in the second half that it’s the intensity of our performance that is the most important thing.

In the first 45 we moved the ball like slugs, Sporting never had to sweat (neither did we). Second 45 we made them suffer, they were hanging on for dear life.

We should be playing like that from the first minute, only the players can explain why we don’t. These slow starts have been an issue for the last 3-4 years, the players have to get over this mentality of starting games with the handbrake on.

Are these players trying to get the manager the sack or to resign ? Because it certainly looks that way .

Looks like we are heading to the europa which if we are honest, is our level. Had a feeling we would struggle in this

Bright sides:
Bentancur I thought was great again, particularly 2nd half when breaking
Gil showed he is far more effective than Moura. He needs minutes. Plenty of smaller players are successful in the PL
We looked dangerous when we actually attacked. Wasn’t always the most technical but doesn’t have to be to be exciting and create chances.

I have no idea why de don’t come out all guns blazing straight away. Got to be Conte caution right?

Bright sides:
Bentancur I thought was great again, particularly 2nd half when breaking
Gil showed he is far more effective than Moura. He needs minutes. Plenty of smaller players are successful in the PL
We looked dangerous when we actually attacked. Wasn’t always the most technical but doesn’t have to be to be exciting and create chances.

I have no idea why de don’t come out all guns blazing straight away. Got to be Conte caution right?

I think Conte is pragmatic but there’s a difference between playing pragmatically and simply not playing. I do not believe that Conte tells the players to move the ball as slowly as possible when we win it back. That doesn’t make any sense.

Back
Top Bottom