Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

If Conte gives him a start now and he performs as well as we all hope he can it will make Conte look a prick for not playing him before. For this reason he will be shipped out on loan

People saying he was unsure of his position versus Forest and didn’t gel with Kulu and therefore wasn’t a blinding sensation need to remember

- that’s his first 30 mins
- we had a front 3 of Gil-Richy-Kulu who have never played together. This is because Conte doesn’t or won’t rotate, presumably because we have not got in front by 2 goals in any (or at least, vey few) of our games

Give the kid (and Gil) a break. Give them some time. And they have the potential to come good.

From my perspective Spence was a breath of fresh air when he came on.

Only speaking for myself here, but:

- I didn't criticise him for not gelling. That's an unrealistic expectation; you're right.
- I did however suggest that erratic positioning was probably a significant factor in Conte not picking him.... It left Kulu scratching his head with a "wdf?" look on his face on a few occasions.
- I have no problem giving a player patience.

He was a breath of fresh air in that game, but it also explained to me where Conte's concerns lay.

If they sign another right-back, given we already have 2 pretty average right-backs ahead of him, he's entitled to think fuck this what's the point. A loan or transfer would probably be best at that point .

If Conte gives him a start now and he performs as well as we all hope he can it will make Conte look a prick for not playing him before. For this reason he will be shipped out on loan

There's no need for any of that thinking though......

- Player signs.
- Player has to learn what the managers wants.
- Player plays when the manger thinks he's ready.

In your scenario, Conte easily answers his critics with a simple..... "He wasn't ready... But he is now..... I coached him and look how good he looks now!"

There's no need for any of that thinking though......

- Player signs.
- Player has to learn what the managers wants.
- Player plays when the manger thinks he's ready.

In your scenario Conte, easily answers his critics with a simple..... "He wasn't ready... But he is now..... I coached him and look how good he looks now!"
Needs to just get his head down and play. Emerson isn't sensational or anything, so Spence can't be blowing anyone away in training.

Had/have high hopes for Spence, but I'm never fond of petulant footballers.

Needs to just get his head down and play. Emerson isn't sensational or anything, so Spence can't be blowing anyone away in training.

Had/have high hopes for Spence, but I'm never fond of petulant footballers.

It never works... (If indeed that's what's going on.....)

I'm still inclined to just duck the assumed drama and take the patient long view.

The big issue a lot of us have is that Emerson has proven time and again he is not a good wingback. He is a fit full back at best. Doherty is bang average at both positions. Spence looks like he could make a great wingback. If Conte wants to continue playing three at the back it seems a nobrainer to give him more opportunity. Managers do make mistakes so just saying we have to trust his opinion does not wash

The big issue a lot of us have is that Emerson has proven time and again he is not a good wingback. He is a fit full back at best. Doherty is bang average at both positions. Spence looks like he could make a great wingback. If Conte wants to continue playing three at the back it seems a nobrainer to give him more opportunity. Managers do make mistakes so just saying we have to trust his opinion does not wash
This is true, but we have a manager who has won the lot. And, unlike the dinosaur Mourinho, Conte has just recently proven his credentials. Right now all we, outside the training staff, have of Spence are a few cameos and some lower league play to extrapolate. I give Conte the benefit of the doubt...if Spence isn't playing over Emerson, then I assume Spence isn't showing much in training. Not like Conte has any reason to show undue loyalty to Emerson.

Conte acting like an arse over Spence. Whatever his reasoning it's a bit pathetic.

Who knows how good Spence might be - we don't that is for sure!!
I imagine his reasoning is something along the lines of wanting to win football matches and playing the players that gives him the best chance to do so. It's not like he has to put every player at his disposal on display to garner your approval of his team selection.

I imagine his reasoning is something along the lines of wanting to win football matches and playing the players that gives him the best chance to do so. It's not like he has to put every player at his disposal on display to garner your approval of his team selection.
He didn’t want him, Levy did (even managing long protracted negotiations in his own indomitable style) . Conte is proving a point to Levy that he can’t fuck about again, it’s so obvious

Back
Top Bottom