Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kulu ain't the issue mate......

Conte obv thinks the training ground is where this development needs to take place and quite honestly that's fair enough.

It's been rather obvious to me all along that peeps need to segregate Royal from Spence in their minds as two separate propositions.......

.........It took Biss a while to get his shit together and he was already an experienced EPL player with a good track record!

The fact that Spence himself is reportedly at peace with his situ ought to calm the fanbase down a bit; but I doubt it will though.
It won't at all I imagine, because the discontent isn't born out of desperately wanting to see Spence, more so out of desperately not wanting to see Emerson.

It won't at all I imagine, because the discontent isn't born out of desperately wanting to see Spence, more so out of desperately not wanting to see Emerson.

Yeh, that's been transparently obvious to me from the start......... And that conflation of the 2 matters has always been flawed (and blinkered).....

Why?

Doherty.

Yeh, that's been transparently obvious to me from the start......... And that conflation of the 2 matters has always been flawed (and blinkered).....

Why?

Doherty.
I don't think he's exactly everyone's favourite option either, better than Emerson no doubt, but Spence has the appeal of being an unknown quantity...

I've never said Emerson or Doherty are good enough, although I'd prefer Doherty x 100.

What I am saying is that Spence showed very little last night, apart from attacking intent.
On the contrary, he showed how raw he was.
Although the talent is there, he still has a lot of work to do to claim a starting spot.

If Emerson had did that run (don't laugh) he'd be getting pelters for it not going anywhere.

Emerson gets pelters for laying the ball back all the time.
Spence does and he's heralded for it.

If it was Doherty with the header, people would be saying he should do better from an unmarked header 12 yards out from a great ball in.

If we are going to judge players then at least let the same rules apply to everyone
Absolute rubbish, Emerson would not of got pelters for taking us 50 yard up the pitch with a run and then winning us a free kick, he also does not have the technical or physical ability to do so.

Again nonsense Doherty would not of got stick for not scoring the header, he would have been rightly praised the way Spence is for making that run into that position ina game where we’re offering no attacking intent.

Last night proved what I already knew from watching Spence previously, that he is quite obviously a better footballer than Emerson. He’s raw and probably shouldn’t be a starter for a top 4 team, but Emerson is pure and utter shit, so fans are quite rightly calling for the raw but much better alternative.

I don't think he's exactly everyone's favourite option either, better than Emerson no doubt, but Spence has the appeal of being an unknown quantity...

Agreed; but again, these are both factors that occupy the realm of who does play....... Not who doesn't (i.e. Emerson out).

As has been the common divide of opinion throughout this thread; mere assumptions about Spence aren't really a particulalry basis to condemn a highly decorated manager that sees him every day.

I share(d) in their curiosity, but having seem him last night, I'm even more understanding of Conte's take (even if it might differ from mine).

I have said It before, but Emerson would make a good option on RCB - better than Sanchez and maybe better than Tanganga. Leaving the RWB slot for Doh and DJed and hopefully A.N.Other in Jan.

Absolute rubbish, Emerson would not of got pelters for taking us 50 yard up the pitch with a run and then winning us a free kick, he also does not have the technical or physical ability to do so.

Again nonsense Doherty would not of got stick for not scoring the header, he would have been rightly praised the way Spence is for making that run into that position ina game where we’re offering no attacking intent.

Last night proved what I already knew from watching Spence previously, that he is quite obviously a better footballer than Emerson. He’s raw and probably shouldn’t be a starter for a top 4 team, but Emerson is pure and utter shit, so fans are quite rightly calling for the raw but much better alternative.
Lol

Emerson got stick for goals he had nothing to do with on here.
He's the whipping boy, the same as Winks, sissoko, etc were.

We're in the top 4, finished 4th last season and Spence is not a starter for a top 4 team , but should be starting.
You're all over the place.

Is anyone praising Doherty for last night?

After all he had a good shot saved, so he must be our saviour and a top 4 player, right ?

You can rant and rave all you want, but the fact is that Spence is nowhere near ready to start for us, that is not to say he never will be.
That was quite evident from his performance last night.

Cannot? "Absolute rubbish"

What you've just described has been seen... It's not a stock string to his bow, but he's carried the ball upfield plenty of times. He gets the proverbial vertigo and that's where the FAIR criticism begins.

Are you honestly pitching the notion that all players get critiqued the same regardless of the individual in question? ...Popular players aren't hounded less than the less popular ones?

Players get typecast and often get criticised accordingly.

Fans can call for whatever they like... That doesn't mean it's the right call.

I have said It before, but Emerson would make a good option on RCB - better than Sanchez and maybe better than Tanganga. Leaving the RWB slot for Doh and DJed and hopefully A.N.Other in Jan.

Recent games where he's been poor in the box and facing crosses should have burst that theory.

He's pretty good defending the flank and on his day carries the ball ok, but in all honesty that's where it ends.

Last edited:
Seems to me like:
Emerson is the pick if we are playing a flat back 4 for his defensive ability.
Spence is the pick if we want to play three at the back and attack with wingbacks.
Tanganga is the pick if you have Sanchez playing in the 3 (because he can't defend).
Doherty is the pick if you want someone to have a few Guinness's with.

Seems to me like:
Emerson is the pick if we are playing a flat back 4 for his defensive ability.
Spence is the pick if we want to play three at the back and attack with wingbacks.
Tanganga is the pick if you have Sanchez playing in the 3 (because he can't defend).
Doherty is the pick if you want someone to have a few Guinness's with.
If you have to play Sanchez in the three, I'd argue just play a back 4. He's clearly lost it and won't get the consistent game time to improve.

I loved everything he did last night. The whole point of this formation is to overload either wing and get an enterprising WB into space. This guy is the best we have at that right now. He was physically dominant against both his markers and marks. He looked good in defense too. My take on the Deki interplay thing was that they simply haven't played much, maybe haven't even trained much together. No reason we can't at least get him minutes when we are chasing games where Catenaccio-ball isn't working.

I think I see some of Kyle Waker's strengths in him - good strong running upfield, able to use his speed to recover and get back to defend.

Plus he's a big guy so not easy to knock off the ball ... and I loved him getting into the box to get a good header in which forced the keeper into a good save..

Sure needs time to work out how to play with Kulusevski - Spence was used to dominating that right side at Notts Forest whilst Kulusevski isn't used to having a right wing back to compete for space on the right side. But that's what the coaching staff can work on whilst World Cup is on and both players available for training at Spurs.

Spence may be raw, but he's got lots of good attributes, just needs first team playing time and coaching between matches.

Can see
I think I see some of Kyle Waker's strengths in him - good strong running upfield, able to use his speed to recover and get back to defend.

Plus he's a big guy so not easy to knock off the ball ... and I loved him getting into the box to get a good header in which forced the keeper into a good save..

Sure needs time to work out how to play with Kulusevski - Spence was used to dominating that right side at Notts Forest whilst Kulusevski isn't used to having a right wing back to compete for space on the right side. But that's what the coaching staff can work on whilst World Cup is on and both players available for training at Spurs.

Spence may be raw, but he's got lots of good attributes, just needs first team playing time and coaching between matches.
agree

Don’t he fits with how Conte wants a WB to play at all

His tactics seem to be get the ball wide and blindly bang the ball into the box to no-one. Spence is a runner / carrier

People saying he was unsure of his position versus Forest and didn’t gel with Kulu and therefore wasn’t a blinding sensation need to remember

- that’s his first 30 mins
- we had a front 3 of Gil-Richy-Kulu who have never played together. This is because Conte doesn’t or won’t rotate, presumably because we have not got in front by 2 goals in any (or at least, vey few) of our games

Give the kid (and Gil) a break. Give them some time. And they have the potential to come good.

From my perspective Spence was a breath of fresh air when he came on.

Back
Top Bottom