Could we play Defoe and Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess we'll see. For now I can't see Soldado and Defoe doing anything other than getting in each others way and getting isolated from an undermanned midfield.

Has Defoe ever had a hot game against a decent club?

This is actually the most valid question for me. The season he got 18 league goals, he scored 5 against Wigan (in our 9-1) and 3 against Hull (in a 5-1 victory in which Palacios scored one of the others).

Fair enough, we need goals against weaker sides. But I just never feel that Defoe is the man who provides them.

As an aside Defoe has scored 91 goals for Spurs in 179 LEAGUE appearances.

86 of those have been from the bench....truly staggering stats.

And proof positive that those who doubt him have the footballing brain equivalent to Auderes alcohol withered manhood.

"He doesn't hold it up"......"he's always offside"

Translates to me as...."I know nothing about football and I should end it now"

To clarify - my point was that he is better now in both these regards than he has been at any previous stage in his career.

I guess we'll see. For now I can't see Soldado and Defoe doing anything other than getting in each others way and getting isolated from an undermanned midfield.

Why would they get in eachothers way?

And why would Paulinho next to Sandro be undermanned? Its a different system...one which uses two strikers at the expense of the extra midfielder. You dont lose a player.

442 with a diamond? Sure they could, would have to be against opposition we don't mind letting have a bit of the middle though, unless we played quite narrow.

Good question, but I think the answer is no.
I would not change a thing. Current sitution is perfect IMO. Both are playing well. We are in four competitions. Having Defoe wanting to play and score is good and if we need a goal we can bring him on in Soldado's place in a game, but I don't think we will get that problem much.

Good question, but I think the answer is no.
I would not change a thing. Current sitution is perfect IMO. Both are playing well. We are in four competitions. Having Defoe wanting to play and score is good and if we need a goal we can bring him on in Soldado's place in a game, but I don't think we will get that problem much.

At what point does defoe realise no matter what he does he isn't starting 11?

Why would they get in eachothers way?

And why would Paulinho next to Sandro be undermanned? Its a different system...one which uses two strikers at the expense of the extra midfielder. You dont lose a player.
They just seem a bit stylistically too similar, poachers/finishers, not more all around creative/link up guys.

If we use two strikers but can't get them the ball, then yes we are effectively losing a player, and I'm not sure a Paulinho/Sandro midfield would be able to create much for them.

All of Defoe's good work this year has come from having a good attacking midfielder behind him to feed him chances, right? So why would we play a system that removes that element? It just seems like it will be a "less than the sum of its parts" type deal.

At what point does defoe realise no matter what he does he isn't starting 11?

To be honest I think he cottoned on to that a few years back, that he id very good but not quite exceptional and we will always be trying to get a better striker in ahead of him. But he tried leaving when he went to Pompey and he was good there but it wasn't a step up and ultimately he knows he isn't going to play for a better club than us. So he will continue to look after himself, which he does very well, continue to score because he is a good striker and he will continue to get minutes, less than he wants, but the maximum he can achieve given the circumstances.

Start Soldado and sub on Defoe is alright for me atm. Soldado is a lot better at holding and link up. Defoe is more for when the kitchen sink is being thrown/counter attacking football

Defoe starting against Chelsea? No chance.

And in a 4-4-2 with Soldado? No way.

4-4-2 in the league is long-dead.
I disagree whole-heartedly. The formations you use depends on the players you have at your disposal, what their characteristics are like, who your opposition are and what type of system they like to play. There is no reason why we couldn't play 4-4-2 at home to a smaller side, where we are more likely to dominate possession anyway.

What are you actually asking @ Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante ? Whether one of them could go left/right in a 4-3-3 or whether we should go 4-4-2?

I don't see either of them having the work ethic for a 4-3-3, though Defoe could probably occupy the left pretty well in attack. 4-4-2 against Sunderland or as a late tactic and that'd be about it for me.

Eriksen, Holtby and Lamela will soon be creating goals a plenty for whoever is playing up top and this conversation will be forgotten imo.

Back
Top Bottom