Could we play Defoe and Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Defoe actually reminds me of spurs as a club: at the start of each season you think this is the year ("I've never felt as fit" seems to be trotted out each year), goes on a hot streak up until Christmas but eventually goes a bit stale and doesn't quite reach the expected heights.

I disagree whole-heartedly. The formations you use depends on the players you have at your disposal, what their characteristics are like, who your opposition are and what type of system they like to play. There is no reason why we couldn't play 4-4-2 at home to a smaller side, where we are more likely to dominate possession anyway.
There. Against smaller teams.

I love Defoe, but he really does struggle when up against it.

That's why he's never become a regular England starter.

They just seem a bit stylistically too similar, poachers/finishers, not more all around creative/link up guys.

If we use two strikers but can't get them the ball, then yes we are effectively losing a player, and I'm not sure a Paulinho/Sandro midfield would be able to create much for them.

All of Defoe's good work this year has come from having a good attacking midfielder behind him to feed him chances, right? So why would we play a system that removes that element? It just seems like it will be a "less than the sum of its parts" type deal.

Great point to be fair in bolded.

Although for me, Defoe is not a poacher, and if he played with Soldado, I could see him as the deeper striker. He drops deep all the time, and makes runs from the halfway line (eg West Hame home) and goes wide and can assist (Pav v Chelsea home).

I think he's got the energy to support Soldado well, and Pauli is like a truck with skill behind him. Plus Dembele is also a massive option, and so is Capoue.

Anyone of Lennon, Chadli, Townsend, Lamela or Siggy and Eriksson cutting in from the wings will create.

I dont want to go 442....but I would happily see us change to it if needed during a game.

Its the people answering "NO" that annoys me, especially when AVB has confirmed it as a definate option.

Last edited:
Played 5 won 4 and conceded 1 goal playing a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Don't think AVB is going to change to 4-4-2 against Chelsea, who have some of the best creative attacking options in the League.

Although that might be the last thing Mourinho is expecting so maybe it would work....................

No it wouldn't

Someone mentioned last night (not sure if true) - all of Soldado's goals last season came from inside the 18-yard box

Someone mentioned last night (not sure if true) - all of Soldado's goals last season came from inside the 18-yard box

Would not surprise me in the slightest.

He's not the player to pick it up run with it and shoot, or assist.

People belittling 442 as outdated, yet we have got the most old fashioned type of striker up top known to man.

Even Lineker score the odd 18 yarder.

It's true; they were all in the box. But I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. First, we were missing that kind of in-the-box killing edge last season. Soldado has his fair share of scrappy goals in this collection. I think with the addition of a proper 10 and fullbacks more apt to chip in from near the corner, Soldado will have more opportunities to get those sorts of scraps.

Furthermore, with the likes of Paulinho and that 10 flooding the box (I don't recall Modrić moving often into the box, and Parker had an instinctive fear of it), there will be even more activity in the box than last season, which should benefit all of our strikers.

What's notable here, however, is how much Soldado scores off his head and off runs right at goal. Defoe, I think, rarely does the former (see how exciting his goal last night was), and often cuts in from the side before he turns and shoots.

Both like to beat the offside trap, but Soldado also likes to take his through lobs and turn them into volleyed shots. Defoe, I suspect, doesn't do that as much.

Finally, Soldado is involved on corners, which I think Defoe never is. He's scored both with his head and with his foot (off a rebound) on a corner. Defoe I think spends corners at the centre line.

So I don't see Soldado's scoring in the box exclusively as some kind of limitation. Rather, it's precisely what the club needs. Once our attack will have a sense of Soldado's rhythm, etc., then the box will begin to yield goals.

Defoe has proved nothing other than he's still the flat track bully he's always been.

What absolute cobblers.

Goals against Chelsea and Man City last season. (and Italy)
Liverpool and both Manchester sides the season before that.
Scored numerous goals against the filth.

Any striker who scores a lot of goals is going to score against a lot of sides, we dont play United Woolwich and Chelsea every week.

The RVPist has played against wigan swansea palace chelsea and liverpool this season, guess which 2 teams he failed to score against? Bloody flat track bully...

Last edited:
Averaging over 60% possession and the highest average shots per game in the league, whist only conceding 1 goal in all games the lowest amount in Europe.

Not sure I can see your logic in wanting to change the system to accommodate somebody scoring heavily against b grade teams?

A striker that only scores inside the box is absolutely perfect for a 4-4-2.

Imagine two wingers constantly bombing down the line and whipping in crosses for him.

Dont see how people can see that he is a poacher, yet claim he could never play alongside Defoe.

Any striker who scores a lot of goals is going to score against a lot of sides, we dont play United Woolwich and Chelsea every week.

Exactly. I couldnt give a fuck if he doesnt score a single goal against the top 5. There are 14 more teams that he can bang goals in against.

He scores, yet its not enough.

But Soldado only scoring is enough.

Exactly. I couldnt give a fuck if he doesnt score a single goal against the top 5. There are 14 more teams that he can bang goals in against.

He scores, yet its not enough.

But Soldado only scoring is enough.

He scores against a top 5 side everyday in training :ap:

Back
Top Bottom