Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just seen his comments on Conte's statement where he says we are "exactly where we want/should be in the league"

Does he even realise he is proving Conte's point about the culture, ambition within the squad?

As some of us have been saying this "4th is a trophy" mentality runs deep through this club, from the owners on down, and now even the players are echoing it.

I'm truly excited to see what our midfield would do under a manager who wants them to be creative and bold.

Skipp for example showed a lot of offensive promise on his loan. Sure, championship. But he had an eye for a progressive pass.

Sarr seems like he could have that.

Bentancur obviously could.

Just seen his comments on Conte's statement where he says we are "exactly where we want/should be in the league"

Does he even realise he is proving Conte's point about the culture, ambition within the squad?

As some of us have been saying this "4th is a trophy" mentality runs deep through this club, from the owners on down, and now even the players are echoing it.
Wasn't Conte saying at the beginning of the season we weren't good enough to compete for the title and also saying things like the EPL is so hard that top 4 is a trophy?

Wasn't Conte saying at the beginning of the season we weren't good enough to compete for the title and also saying things like the EPL is so hard that top 4 is a trophy?
I don't remember him saying 4th was a trophy, but I do remember him saying it was a slow building process and that we weren't capable of winning the league without several windows.

Does that invalidate his comments that he feels we haven't progressed this season and have gone backwards?

Do you think think 4th is the pinnacle for a club like Spurs?

I don't remember him saying 4th was a trophy, but I do remember him saying it was a slow building process and that we weren't capable of winning the league without several windows.

Does that invalidate his comments that he feels we haven't progressed this season and have gone backwards?

Do you think think 4th is the pinnacle for a club like Spurs?
It doesn’t invalidate his comments but it’s absolutely his job to get us there. It’s easy to blame something nebulous like “club culture” or “they don’t want to win as much as me” but more than anything it’s his job to get us to win football matches and change the club culture. He failed.

It doesn’t invalidate his comments but it’s absolutely his job to get us there. It’s easy to blame something nebulous like “club culture” or “they don’t want to win as much as me” but more than anything it’s his job to get us to win football matches and change the club culture. He failed.
So you don't think this club has a culture of failure?

I'm truly excited to see what our midfield would do under a manager who wants them to be creative and bold.

Skipp for example showed a lot of offensive promise on his loan. Sure, championship. But he had an eye for a progressive pass.

Sarr seems like he could have that.

Bentancur obviously could.

Deadly WBs and Biss / Skipp / Bentancur in a proper 433 would be the business AFAIC. I'd also try to re-purpose Kulu as one of the 2 box-to-box players too.... Fuck all this mid-2000's/"must have a CAM" shit:

NEW GK (Big Man)
Porro (Spence) -------- Romero / NEW CB ------- Udogie (Reguilon)
Biss (Kulu) / Skipp (???) / Bentancur (Sarr)
RF-with wings (Gil) ------ Kane (Richy)------LF-with wings (Son)​

Still leaves PEH, Emerson, Davies, Dier for the bench..... Along with the rest of the more obvious out-pile.

Deadly WBs and Biss / Skipp / Bentancur in a proper 433 would be the business AFAIC. I'd also try to re-purpose Kulu as one of the 2 box-to-box players too.... Fuck all this mid-2000's/"must have a CAM" shit:

NEW GK (Big Man)
Porro (Spence) -------- Romero / NEW CB ------- Udogie (Reguilon)
Biss (Kulu) / Skipp (???) / Bentancur (Sarr)
RF-with wings (Gil) ------ Kane (Richy)------LF-with wings (Son)​

Still leaves PEH, Emerson, Davies, Dier for the bench..... Along with the rest of the more obvious out-pile.
PEH, Royal, Davies and Dier are players that will attract a fee albeit nominal. Move them on and pack the bench with promise - go and buy a range of yoots

PEH, Royal, Davies and Dier are players that will attract a fee albeit nominal. Move them on and pack the bench with promise - go and buy a range of yoots

We have more than enough wheeling and dealing to be done already...... Realistically they are next summers crop of outs, not this one.

We have more than enough wheeling and dealing to be done already...... Realistically they are next summers crop of outs, not this one.
It’s not a sellers market, so few buyers that you have to sell if there’s interest. That lot are replaceable. Very little to offer IMO

It’s not a sellers market, so few buyers that you have to sell if there’s interest.

In virtually any pursuit; one assigns their efforts according to their priorities........ One can only get so many deals done (be they loans or sales) in one window.

If we hope to shift a lot of (let alone all of) our deadwood (and no, PEH & Dier don't fit that description regardless of your personal opinion of them), then for the very reason you cited, it will take even more effort (time!) than usual to shift them.

As far as squad options go PEH, Dier & Davies can play a part..... We have too many that for whatever reason can't.

Last edited:
In virtually any pursuit; one assigns their efforts according to their priorities........ One can only get so many deals done (be they loans or sales) in one window.

If we hope to shift a lot of (let alone all of) our deadwood (and no PEH & Dier don't fit that description regardless of your personal opinion of them) then for the very reason you cited it will take even more effort (time!) than usual to shift them.

As far as squad options go PEH, Dier & Davies can play a part..... We have too many that for whatever reason can't.
The priority is to improve the squad, not to try and get 8M for GLC as opposed to 4M. Create a fire sale, put them all at risk via agents and see who bites.

Most if not all of the deadwood will not attract a fee, so we need to be nimble and pivot if buyers surface for PEH, Davies etc. yes selling them is not a priority, but neither should it be taken off the table in the hope that Napoli buy Ndombele and that’s all we focus on

PEH and Dier are absolutely deadwood BTW. Simply unreliable - at their best both decent but that is too infrequent to worry about losing them

Back
Top Bottom