Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Conte may be hurting Sarr's development.
The fact that Sarr has 4 MFs ahead of him in the pecking order may be hurting his development.
...But to be explicitly blaming PEH? ......Meh.

Geezer's just doing what he's been asked to do.... Play football.
Maybe I should have worded it better. The 'blame' should obviously be on Conte. He should have been sacked already.

Sarr being behind the other MFs should still be playing a lot more and PEH should be playing a lot less (or be replaced if he wants to be a starter). Conte's making these terrible choices because he cares only upto the end of his contract. Developing Sarr doesnt benefit him, it benefits the next manager.

Maybe I should have worded it better. The 'blame' should obviously be on Conte. He should have been sacked already.

Sarr being behind the other MFs should still be playing a lot more and PEH should be playing a lot less (or be replaced if he wants to be a starter). Conte's making these terrible choices because he cares only upto the end of his contract. Developing Sarr doesnt benefit him, it benefits the next manager.
Short sighted to think PEH benefits him now, Sarr looks much more comfortable on the ball - as soon as that one paced, basic chugger is moved on we will start to control games better

Bissouma has shown nothing, absolutely zero. He’s also crocked right now. Sarr is just a kid. Bentancur will not be fit for a year.

It would be daft to get rid of him. He is our best midfielder right now. He is rarely ever injured and a proven PL player. It would be daft to sell him. Absolutely daft.

We have Ndombele, Lo Celso and Winks to get rid of this summer. That is the priority for our midfield. Get those three out and a quality midfielder to come in. Hojbjerg himself is not a problem, the problem is that we have nobody better than him right now.

Bissouma has shown nothing??? Did you live in a cave before this season? He has brilliant attributes - physically strong, can tackle AND push opposition off the ball, can win the ball high in a field and break opposition lines. The fact that our mentally retarded clown that is orchestrating his sack cannot turn him into one-dimensional robot does not mean that Bissouma would be bad player. Remember the part about him being able to win the ball high upfield? Well, even for us he was close to top of EPL in terms of "interceptions leading to scoring chance" even under our passive approach to the game. We just fucking sit deep and then hoof the ball upfield aimlessly. It is hard for him to use his strenghts when our "brilliant gameplan" includes surrendering midfield and just hoofing the balls straight from defense to attackers in blind hope.

Sarr is just a kid. Jail is just a room. Sun is just a star. What is your point? EVERY SINGLE PLAYER has been young at some point. Difference is that some have been given chances and confidence to develop. Others have to waste their life under clueless idiots. Sarr is same age as Camavinga. Both burst to the scene in Ligue 1 in fact. Camavinga is adult enough to start for Real Madrid, but "Sarr is just a kid". Sure. whatever.

I absolutely agree - getting rid of Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele is much higher imortance than with PEH. And agreed that in perfect world the succession should go in the way that you have current best pick, you bring in competition for him, competitor will organically take over and then the previous player is sold. But there are some specific factors in play - if old player is 28 yo with 2 years left in contract, there is realistically last chance to get some money for him. And if we have options either to keep for example 10% better player, let his value drop by 60% in a year... or to just take the money and use it for good of the whole squad + give very promising youngster time to improve. I would pick the latter. All depends on the offers though, of course. For like 35-45 mil, I would sell him without a second thought.

Bissouma has shown nothing??? Did you live in a cave before this season? He has brilliant attributes - physically strong, can tackle AND push opposition off the ball, can win the ball high in a field and break opposition lines. The fact that our mentally retarded clown that is orchestrating his sack cannot turn him into one-dimensional robot does not mean that Bissouma would be bad player. Remember the part about him being able to win the ball high upfield? Well, even for us he was close to top of EPL in terms of "interceptions leading to scoring chance" even under our passive approach to the game. We just fucking sit deep and then hoof the ball upfield aimlessly. It is hard for him to use his strenghts when our "brilliant gameplan" includes surrendering midfield and just hoofing the balls straight from defense to attackers in blind hope.

Sarr is just a kid. Jail is just a room. Sun is just a star. What is your point? EVERY SINGLE PLAYER has been young at some point. Difference is that some have been given chances and confidence to develop. Others have to waste their life under clueless idiots. Sarr is same age as Camavinga. Both burst to the scene in Ligue 1 in fact. Camavinga is adult enough to start for Real Madrid, but "Sarr is just a kid". Sure. whatever.

I absolutely agree - getting rid of Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele is much higher imortance than with PEH. And agreed that in perfect world the succession should go in the way that you have current best pick, you bring in competition for him, competitor will organically take over and then the previous player is sold. But there are some specific factors in play - if old player is 28 yo with 2 years left in contract, there is realistically last chance to get some money for him. And if we have options either to keep for example 10% better player, let his value drop by 60% in a year... or to just take the money and use it for good of the whole squad + give very promising youngster time to improve. I would pick the latter. All depends on the offers though, of course. For like 35-45 mil, I would sell him without a second thought.

If an exceptional offer arrives then it’s fine to sell him (though I don’t see any English club doing that).

But we have two midfielders who are currently out with severe injuries, one won’t return until next year. We have one kid who needs time to develop. We have another solid midfielder in Skipp. We will have to buy a first XI-quality midfielder this summer just to replace Bentancur. Sell Hojbjerg and we will have to sign two. The chances of our recruitment people not fucking that up is zero.

How much money have we spent trying to replace Trippier? Another player that many fans said was expendable and easily upgraded yet we’ve spent £105m on that position and still haven’t got a clearly superior player (Porro hopefully will deliver). Let’s worry about selling Hojbjerg once he has dropped down the pecking order because someone else has taken his place and shown they are better than him.

Re: Bissouma I think he can still turn his situation around and be a good player for us, but it’s not just the system that is holding him back. He has been timid and not played with any personality. At the moment he gives me a whiff of Schneiderlin, looked good at Saints but simply couldn’t hack it at a serious team. Hopefully I’m wrong and he shows under a new manager that he belongs at this level. Some players just aren’t tough enough (see Lo Celso for more evidence).

If an exceptional offer arrives then it’s fine to sell him (though I don’t see any English club doing that).

But we have two midfielders who are currently out with severe injuries, one won’t return until next year. We have one kid who needs time to develop. We have another solid midfielder in Skipp. We will have to buy a first XI-quality midfielder this summer just to replace Bentancur. Sell Hojbjerg and we will have to sign two. The chances of our recruitment people not fucking that up is zero.

How much money have we spent trying to replace Trippier? Another player that many fans said was expendable and easily upgraded yet we’ve spent £105m on that position and still haven’t got a clearly superior player (Porro hopefully will deliver). Let’s worry about selling Hojbjerg once he has dropped down the pecking order because someone else has taken his place and shown they are better than him.

Re: Bissouma I think he can still turn his situation around and be a good player for us, but it’s not just the system that is holding him back. He has been timid and not played with any personality. At the moment he gives me a whiff of Schneiderlin, looked good at Saints but simply couldn’t hack it at a serious team. Hopefully I’m wrong and he shows under a new manager that he belongs at this level. Some players just aren’t tough enough (see Lo Celso for more evidence).
Good point about all other managers in world
Football playing 3 in MF. Our current 5 are fairly similar in that they aren’t attacking mids, although Benta has potential in that role IMO. We should definitely alter the balance and sell one although as you say injuries are an issue. Hopefully Biss is ready for pre season

Thing is - in terms of getting money for Hjojberg to improve our CM - there is one window. And that takes place in coming summer. From later windows his value will have significantly lower (less left on contract + closer to "magic" age of 30).

It is fair in terms of replacing Trippier. But I can also answer - how much money we threw in the wind by not selling Dele and Eriksen when they had value? Could have raked in 120 mil or more, but ended up with just 20. There are many examples of latching on to players too long. In fact I believe there are more examples like this then for those situations of selling someone too early. But look at how bigger teams operate - look at Liverpool with Coutinho and Mane for example. Look at ManCity with Sterling and Sane for example. They did not let them sit on the bench and drop to 0 value. They sold players that did not fit into system and replaced them with better fits.

Of course Bissouma does not play with any personality. How many in our side show it?
Bissouma is all about being compatitive, pressing and winning ball up the field. How can he do it, if our masterplan is to sit deep and do nothing? I mean, it is your pick, what you want to believe. Either that Richarlison, Bissouma and Son became totally shit footballers overnight. Or just that Conte is unable to use them and set the team up in a way that would bring their strong sides forward.

Thing is - in terms of getting money for Hjojberg to improve our CM - there is one window. And that takes place in coming summer. From later windows his value will have significantly lower (less left on contract + closer to "magic" age of 30).

It is fair in terms of replacing Trippier. But I can also answer - how much money we threw in the wind by not selling Dele and Eriksen when they had value? Could have raked in 120 mil or more, but ended up with just 20. There are many examples of latching on to players too long. In fact I believe there are more examples like this then for those situations of selling someone too early. But look at how bigger teams operate - look at Liverpool with Coutinho and Mane for example. Look at ManCity with Sterling and Sane for example. They did not let them sit on the bench and drop to 0 value. They sold players that did not fit into system and replaced them with better fits.

Of course Bissouma does not play with any personality. How many in our side show it?
Bissouma is all about being compatitive, pressing and winning ball up the field. How can he do it, if our masterplan is to sit deep and do nothing? I mean, it is your pick, what you want to believe. Either that Richarlison, Bissouma and Son became totally shit footballers overnight. Or just that Conte is unable to use them and set the team up in a way that would bring their strong sides forward.
Our canvases are petrified of selling players and this flows through to Levy. I would like to see us sell one big player every year and freshen things up. Not one player should be untouchable

Who regrets not taking 50M for Dier now?

We need to be bolder as a club but leadership is weak. Levy thinks strength comes from one upmanship and digging I

Our canvases are petrified of selling players and this flows through to Levy. I would like to see us sell one big player every year and freshen things up. Not one player should be untouchable

We need to be bolder as a club but leadership is weak. Levy thinks strength comes from one upmanship and digging I
Fans have fucking meltdowns when we sell anyone from the starting 11. Worse than the fan meltdowns is the media jumping all over us accusing us of being a feeder club and a selling club.
I'm not against selling players who aren't absolutely critical to the team if a big offer comes in and the money us used wisely.

But the money rarely gets used wisely and the image created by constantly selling is difficult.

Bissouma has shown nothing, absolutely zero. He’s also crocked right now. Sarr is just a kid. Bentancur will not be fit for a year.

It would be daft to get rid of him. He is our best midfielder right now. He is rarely ever injured and a proven PL player. It would be daft to sell him. Absolutely daft.

We have Ndombele, Lo Celso and Winks to get rid of this summer. That is the priority for our midfield. Get those three out and a quality midfielder to come in. Hojbjerg himself is not a problem, the problem is that we have nobody better than him right now.
Player ratings will always be a subjective matter and regardless of where his clapometer needle rests the more relevant question could be is he good enough for us? Sadly I believe the answer is yes.

I think that is bit too much to suggest selling one big player every year. It has to be case-by-case + situation has to be right. I think it is reasonable to sell players who -

- are approaching the end of their contract and are unlikely to prolong them
- have increased in value (possibly beyond their realistic valuation)
- are displaying signs that their developement curve is changing (performances becoming poorer instead of improvements)
- do not fit into club long-term future for any specific reason

But fanbase has to also open their eyes. I feel that at some point we were selling too many starters. And emotionally speaking I get it - seeing Bale and Modric leave and pull up trees for Real was not pleasant. Neither was seeing Walker winning EPL with City. But situations differ and keeping all players at all costs beyond them having market value is not sustainable either.

Basically you cannot yell about "why are we spending so little?!?!?!" and "Why are we selling a player" at the same time. Sure - majority of the sales have to come from flopped players moved on + academy products that will not make it. But in order to move forward, from time to time good offer for starting player has to be accepted.

Look at ManCity with Sterling and Sane for example. They did not let them sit on the bench and drop to 0 value. They sold players that did not fit into system and replaced them with better fits.

We are not Man City. They have multiple top class players in every position and unlimited money to fund a very good scouting operation. Of course it’s no big deal for them to let good players leave. We have hundreds of millions worth of failed players out on loan.

We have a squad stacked with below-par players, limited money and incompetent transfer people. You let one of the few proven players leave, you are asking for trouble. Doing that is what destroyed Woolwich under Wenger.

If Hojbjerg was competing with Rodri, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Bernardo and Phillips for minutes, then sure, we wouldn’t think twice about selling him for £40m. Especially if we had the best scouts in the game ready with £60m to spend on his replacement. But that’s not us, only elite teams can operate the way City do. We can’t afford to let proven players leave while there are still so many rubbish or unproven players in our squad.

I think that is bit too much to suggest selling one big player every year. It has to be case-by-case + situation has to be right. I think it is reasonable to sell players who -

- are approaching the end of their contract and are unlikely to prolong them
- have increased in value (possibly beyond their realistic valuation)
- are displaying signs that their developement curve is changing (performances becoming poorer instead of improvements)
- do not fit into club long-term future for any specific reason

But fanbase has to also open their eyes. I feel that at some point we were selling too many starters. And emotionally speaking I get it - seeing Bale and Modric leave and pull up trees for Real was not pleasant. Neither was seeing Walker winning EPL with City. But situations differ and keeping all players at all costs beyond them having market value is not sustainable either.

Basically you cannot yell about "why are we spending so little?!?!?!" and "Why are we selling a player" at the same time. Sure - majority of the sales have to come from flopped players moved on + academy products that will not make it. But in order to move forward, from time to time good offer for starting player has to be accepted.
Harder than ever to sell players now so that criteria may not always be met. Agree tho

We are not Man City. They have multiple top class players in every position and unlimited money to fund a very good scouting operation. Of course it’s no big deal for them to let good players leave. We have hundreds of millions worth of failed players out on loan.

We have a squad stacked with below-par players, limited money and incompetent transfer people. You let one of the few proven players leave, you are asking for trouble. Doing that is what destroyed Woolwich under Wenger.

If Hojbjerg was competing with Rodri, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Bernardo and Phillips for minutes, then sure, we wouldn’t think twice about selling him for £40m. Especially if we had the best scouts in the game ready with £60m to spend on his replacement. But that’s not us, only elite teams can operate the way City do. We can’t afford to let proven players leave while there are still so many rubbish or unproven players in our squad.

Well, let's just pack up our things, give up and liquidate our club. Shall we.
Lets admit that we have been, are and always will be shit.
Let's not learn anything nor try to change and improve. Others can do it, we cannot. We should just be endlessly grateful for players that they have fallen to level to represent such an awful club that is Spurs.

* end of sarcasm*

It is true - historically our scouting has been poor. But you could not be more wrong (even if you tried) regarding your conclusion. Basically you state that it has been shit. But you will desperately cling on to that same shit ?!? Again - all Spurs fans are masochists to some extent, but you seem truly extreme in that.

If everything is as shit then we absolutely SHOULD sell him and put the money we get from selling him into improving our scouting and recruitment department.

P.S if you don't like City example - well, maybe then look at Brighton?
Smaller than us in every possible metric- revenue, profit, stadium, squad value, historical results.
They sell Bissouma, Cucurella, Maupay. They sell White and Trossard. Do they have another White or Bissouma or Cucurella on bench? No. But money from the sales gives them chance to replace such players. It is definition of defeatism what you are laying in front of us as solution. "But we can't do anything. We should just cling to players we have!".

P.S if you don't like City example - well, maybe then look at Brighton?
Smaller than us in every possible metric- revenue, profit, stadium, squad value, historical results.
They sell Bissouma, Cucurella, Maupay. They sell White and Trossard. Do they have another White or Bissouma or Cucurella on bench? No. But money from the sales gives them chance to replace such players. It is definition of defeatism what you are laying in front of us as solution. "But we can't do anything. We should just cling to players we have!".

Brighton are happy to sell important players because they are Brighton. Their only ambition is to stay up. As long as they don't get relegated they will be happy to trouser huge fees for players like White, Cucurella etc. They are not spending that money on players so that they can challenge for CL.

I am not saying give up and sign nobody, that Hobjerg is the new Modric and can't be replaced. Daft of you to frame it like that. We simply have to be careful. If we sell Hojbjerg and replace him with another Lo Celso for £50m, we are fucked. Let's sign a new midfielder but keep him around until we are sure we can do without.

Brighton are happy to sell important players because they are Brighton. Their only ambition is to stay up. As long as they don't get relegated they will be happy to trouser huge fees for players like White, Cucurella etc. They are not spending that money on players so that they can challenge for CL.

I am not saying give up and sign nobody, that Hobjerg is the new Modric and can't be replaced. Daft of you to frame it like that. We simply have to be careful. If we sell Hojbjerg and replace him with another Lo Celso for £50m, we are fucked. Let's sign a new midfielder but keep him around until we are sure we can do without.

For the last time - getting money for him is now or never.
You cant eat the eggs AND keep them for future.

And the debate is getting absurd, I will give up.
I say - "look what City and Liverpool do with such situation"
You say - "but...but... we are not City! We can't do this"
I say - "Okay, if that does not suit, look what Brighton is doing, let's do that!"
You say "but...but... we are not Brighton! We can't do this"

I get it - we are Tottenham and we should do Tottenham then in your view.
Cling on to players we have, while being scared that no one better will come for us.

I don't support this kind of ultimate defeatism.

People used to revel over Southampton for their buying and selling genius..... The hot streak ran out.
.....More recently Lester have born a similar story. .....For a for season's it was Monaco.

BVB occupy a very comfortable niche (part of which being circumstantial) that very few (if any) clubs in recent memory have managed to sustain over such a long period of time.

Yes, there is a prime time to sell any player (and that varies acording to numerous factors; often unpredictable); but the idea that as a matter of routine we should sell a big player every season isn't a particular well thought out game-plan.... Especially with a fan-base that shits their pants at the thought of selling players almost as soon as they start to show promise (Romero being the latest example for some.) and in the meantime sees anything less than top in a highly funded and competitive league to be failure.

No we aren’t. He would be fifth choice under most managers, bin him

At a serious club, Hojbjerg would be a back-up playing in games where you need exactly the type of this player. He’s a Danish Winks atm with the odd good game.

Back
Top Bottom